Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
phdhycster
Mouseketeer

Is 3 hotels in one stay too much?

We are hoping to go to WDW in August/ September and due to free dining need to definitely stay in 2 different hotels. Right now we are looking at POP (4 nights) and POR (5 nights) but was thinking of trying to go to AOA instead to POP to see a new place. Unfortunately only 3 of the four nights are available at AOA sooo should we do AOA (3 nights) AK (1 night) and POR (5 nights)? Is this too much? These are all hotels we have never stayed at!
phdhycster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Changing hotels so many times is crazy! It is a real pain. Minimize the hassle and stick to two.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I agree. One night at AKL will not give you a chance to really enjoy the resort. Save it for a future visit.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

I love changing resorts. It gives us new scenery and experiances. This up coming trip - 1 night at SSR , 6 nights at BC, 5 nights at AKL, ending with 2 nights at BLT. I drive over and check in while the rest of the family is getting ready for the day. If we did not have a car then it would be a pain.
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
serene56
DIS Veteran

Changing resorts for free dining-- you would need to buy tickets for each package in order to get free dining..
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
phdhycster
Mouseketeer

We will not have a car, relying on Disney transportation. We have the ticket issue covered. Still considering but understand the comment that one day may not be enough to experience a hotel.
phdhycster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
MEK
DIS Veteran

It is quite possible that your AKL room will not be ready until 3pm. By the time you get your luggage, move on with your evening plans, get up and pack up in the morning, you really won't see much of the resort unless you plan to hang there all day. Then you have to repeat the same thing all over again the next day.

I especially think your plan is tiring because you will be relying on Disney transportation. If you had a car to drive you and your luggage it would be a little more doable.

I have changed resorts on many of my trips and it definitely eats into your park time. No matter how smooth it goes, it is always "one more thing" to fit into your plans.

That being said, I am always up for one resort change. Two resorts changes with a single day sandwiched in doesn't make sense to me. It would only make sense to me if the single night stay was at the front of the vacation or if I was planning a resort day on one of my transfer days.

Ultimately, you will have to decided what works best for you. It IS possible that your entire AoA stay could open up between now and September.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
elaw
DIS Veteran

We are frequent WDW resort split-stay vacationers. Based on our experience, 3 nights is generally the minimum I recommend in order to get the most of your stay at any given resort.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdhycster View Post
We are hoping to go to WDW in August/ September and due to free dining need to definitely stay in 2 different hotels. Right now we are looking at POP (4 nights) and POR (5 nights) but was thinking of trying to go to AOA instead to POP to see a new place. Unfortunately only 3 of the four nights are available at AOA sooo should we do AOA (3 nights) AK (1 night) and POR (5 nights)? Is this too much? These are all hotels we have never stayed at!
I would not recommend changing 3 times, especially with a 1-day change in the middle. You would lose way too much time changing resorts. I would hold out for a stay at AOA with POP as your back up. Availability changes all the time. Just because that 1 day is not available now doesn't mean it won't be available in the future. I would just keep on checking online or calling until you can get it.

Can you slip your vacation 1 day so you have 3 days at POP/AOA and 6 days at POR? I ask because the way you have it set up now you will have to buy passes for your pre-Free Dining stay and then more (required) passes for your POR stay. Disney allows you to pick up passes from a package 3-days in advance of your stay. You can book your POR reservation with a 9-day pass and pick it up 3 days before your check-in. See "I. Picking up Package Tickets Prior To Start Of Package" for more information here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

We changed to three last time we went. 7 nights : 1 night at Beach Club, 3 nights at BLT, 3 nights at AKL. We didn't have a car either and for the BC to BLT we took a cab, the BLT we had the hotels transfer luggage and took the bus to AK in the morning until lunch time then took the bus to the lodge to check in. Our room was ready, so we hung out there for a bit then went back to AK for the rest of the day. We loved it. Not an issue at all. We all liked seeing different resorts to stay at. Now we know BC is nice, just not for us, AK was great for doing one time to see all the animals, but BLT is our new favorite and will stay there for our whole week next time.

Have fun either way!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

I vote for keeping it to 2 resorts.

Oct 2014 POP***Oct 2013 The Fort***Aug 2013 POP/POR***Dec 2012 ASMo ***Aug 2012 ASMo/POR *** 2011 The Fort ***2010 Wilderness Lodge***2009 & 2007 The Fort ***2006- POFQ***1993- Poly Honeymoon
DH/myself the twins: DS15DD15
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
daannzzz
OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled egg salad
Enjoys the magic of Disneyland in December
: I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits

Changing hotels is easy if you have a car. I understand not wanting to do just because you don't want to but it really isn't hard. One 9 day stay I did one night at All Star Music before everyone else arrived, 3 nights at the WL, 2 nights at POR and 3 nights at the Yacht Club. Everyone was fine with it. if you think it will work for you, by all means go for it. It is a great way to experience the resorts and spread out costs.
daannzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

Last time we went, we changed hotels three times. We were only two people, were not spending tons of time there in our rooms, but it was kind of a pain. We had our own car to keep luggage in, too.

One transfer sounds good to me especially if you could get free dining! Maybe you could use some of those credits at AK and experience the resort that way??
Old 05-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

ROFL...wrong person to ask right here. We are doing 1 night at ASMo, 5 nights at POFQ, 6 nights at AKL, and 7 nights at BC next month. But, we will have a car. Not sure I would if I didn't.

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdhycster View Post
Last Oct I did 3 hotels in 7nights. This would be the second time I had done a split stay. 1st time I only did two resorts for 4 nights at one and 3 nights at the other.

I had a reservation and then my plans changed and I couldn't add days before and after so I did one night at AoA before, just to try it out, and then my last two nights at ASmu. (POFQ were the 4 nights in between)

I had no problem as I planned my moving days as partial park days. But I was one person, with basically 1 suitcase and a few items. I also had a rental car so I could pack up and move with my own stuff in my own time easily or even just keep it in the car until my room was ready. If you are laid back and plan your moving mornings as non park or late to park days it's really easy to move. (rental car or taking a taxi a must if you want immediate access to your things)

If you know you'll have a lot of loose stuff that will have to be moved by hand or by porters (whom move in thier own time not yours) and you are planning park commando days then I'd say moving is going to be more stress then it's worth.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

Last edited by bookgirl; 05-13-2013 at 01:32 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: