Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Magic Your Way to the Magic Kingdom...sounds like a good idea! COMPLETED

Hi to anyone that may follow along as I stumble through another trip report from Galveston.

Castmembers for our 8 night sailing are....

Jenny (47 and counting, but trying not to) & Scott (ridiculously younger but will be good for my retirement ) We are self-confessed WDW & DCL addicts who are always up for another adventure on the Magic (or any DCL ship) especially when it is sailing from our home port...

and....

our friends who 1) have never sailed on Disney before, 2) have never taken their kids to WDW before and 3) were on the cruise to celebrate A's 40th birthday which had been a month earlier, although I think we can all agree she doesn't look a day over 39.

So! With lots of adventures awaiting us we busily got planning and before we knew it the time had flown by and it was time to go!

Our Itinerary was:

Thursday - Overnight in Galveston
Friday - Sail away on the Disney Magic
Saturday - At Sea
Sunday - At Sea
Monday - Castaway Cay
Tuesday - WDW
Wednesday - At Sea
Thursday - Key West
Friday - At Sea
Saturday - Disembark

Scott & I decided to take an extra day at the beginning of our trip as we both had a ton of stuff going on at work, and I knew there was no way I'd be able to get ready during the evenings prior to Friday. We started packing on Thursday morning while trying to juggle last minute work panics and finally got away from the house at about 1:30 pm after stuffing down a pizza that was delivered while all the packing chaos was going on.

The (world famous) Buccees was first stop for gas and a car wash..because no respectable girl can be seen pulling up to a cruise terminal in an vehicle that is no color other than DIRT!!

I took this photo just to drive Scott nuts with my picture taking but even he has now conceded that it's a pretty cool photo!

Coming up....our overnight stay at Harbor House hotel because Photobucket is acting up and I don't want to lose anything I've done so far. .

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston

Last edited by ukintheus; 06-08-2013 at 11:28 AM.
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Getting across Houston in the early afternoon on a Thursday was a piece of cake and we arrived in Galveston at about 3:30 pm. Harbor House has a check in time of 4 pm but were happy to set us up in our room a bit early. We got a rate of $89 a night for a king room, plus $10 for 1 night of parking (plus all the other fees, taxes and misc money that seems to make its way on the bill).

We have stayed here one time before. The rooms are a really nice size, but the bathrooms could do with a bit of renovation. I'm sure I read somewhere that the hotel is due for renovations this fall. We really like the fact that it's walking distance to the cruise terminal, has plenty of really great restaurants and bars right at its door step, and is really close to the Strand area.

View from our room...

It was fairly obvious when we stepped out of the car that Galveston was NOT as balmy and warm as it had been in Magnolia and instead of being in the 70's was in the low 60's. In fact, I was decidedly CHILLY, and at that moment I recalled my rash decision to put my light jacket BACK into the closet just a few hours earlier. This led to us making a quick trip to the Walmart on the island after we had checked in, although Galveston was firmly in the "fun in the sun" mode and although there were plenty of bathing suits to be seen, not a single jacket was in sight...nor at the Academy just down the street. So we decided that we would have to move on to plan B....which was to drink something alcoholic to ward off the chill.

We drove back to the hotel and went to Nonno Tony's which was ridiculously close (within stumbling distance should that be required) and also had a great happy hour menu going on.

I had a cosmo, Scott had some kind of draft beer (both were $3.00 I think) and we had calamari and bruscetta for a snack. The calamari was really good, the bruscetta was just OK. After sitting outside for a while and braving the chill, we decided it was time to move to an indoor bar.

We were planning on dinner at Olympia Grill anyway, and they conveniently have a great bar to sit at, so we moved on into their bar to continue our happy hour. We were happy indeed! They had Stella on happy hour price (Scott's fav) and some good white wines, so we chatted with the bar tender there until we decided we were hungry enough for dinner. Olympia Grill is fantastic - their food is SO good, and they had just been awarded Food Networks "Best Seafood" award the day before so I'm glad we managed to squeak another meal in before it becomes completely overrun when the program airs sometime this month.

Because we were staying at Harbor House (and mentioned it), they gave us a free bread pudding dessert which we took back to our room . Full bellies, a couple of drinks and half a bread pudding later, at about 9:30 pm we finally crashed and fell asleep.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston

Last edited by ukintheus; 05-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
MrsKP
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your report and more pics!

DH-Kevin Kerry DS-Jared (14) DD-Ellison (3)

Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2013

MrsKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Great start Jen, looking forward to reading about your cruise

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKP View Post
Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your report and more pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
Great start Jen, looking forward to reading about your cruise
Thanks for following along. I am going to try and get some more done this morning while I've got laundry going.

Jenny & Scott
Old 05-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Finally Friday...we leave today!

I was awake early and just had to peak out of the window to see if I could see the Magic coming in. Much to my disappointment, she wasn't there, and she wasn't showing up on my Marine Traffic app on my phone as being in range. This forced me back into bed, only to keep hopping out like a kid about every 5 minutes and probably really annoying Scott in the process! Eventually my persistence was rewarded and I watched her sail on by and turn around to dock at about 6:30 am.

Zoomed in a bit...

Docked...zoomed in

Docked....the real view

We both took a quick shower and packed our overnight bag and then headed to the 2nd floor to see what they had for breakfast. The breakfast offerings were a little scarce. They have a complimentary continental breakfast, but that morning there was cinnamon toast and about 4 danish pastries left. They were also out of coffee, although thankfully they replenished that fairly quickly, but the food stayed the same while we were there. We were meeting Susana, who works on the Magic, outside the terminal at 9:30 am to go to breakfast anyway, so it wasn't the end of the world that there wasn't much food, although there was one little boy in there who definitely believed it WAS the end of the world. I felt sorry for the Dad who had obviously been sent on a food run and so they wiped out what was left of the pastries.

We slapped our luggage tags on, and loaded up what we had used overnight and drove to the cruise terminal to pick up Susana and spent a great couple of hours with her at Denny's enjoying breakfast and catching up. She wanted to get back to have an hour or so of internet (free wifi is ALWAYS popular with the CMs) before she had to go back, and so we dropped her off close to Starbucks.

We were back at the cruise terminal at 11:15 am and dropped our bags and set off in search of BOI Valet parking. It took us a while, and a couple of trips around the block to find them. If you are reading this, and are using them in the future, they are inside the very FIRST building on the corner - if you get to the street where Park N Cruise are located, you've missed them. The drop off procedure was fairly easy. It took us about 5 minutes to wait on the people in front of us to get unloaded and then we were on our way across the street with our hand luggage.

The terminal was busy, but not chaotically so. We didn't have to wait in line for anything for more than a couple of minutes. Soon, we were checked in with boarding group 3 and we had about 20 minutes to wait until they called our number.

We called our friends to see how they were doing on their journey. They had to pick up their little boy from school at 10:30 am so that he wasn't marked down for a day of absence and so they were just a little behind us.

We got through the security lines and at the top of the escalators Mickey was on his way down to take some photos...

We snapped some of the ship from the gangway...

We walked on board about 12:15 pm and made our way straight to Rockin Bar D to add our friends to our Palo brunch reservation. We also made a reservation for the martini tasting and the mixology session.

They had a drink sales table set up outside and we got a Dasani water package.

From there we headed up to the pool deck as we weren't hungry and we needed to get a good phone reception so we could guide our friends to where they needed to go.

Scott managed to snag his first drink while I was in the restroom...

We got a call that our friends had arrived. He dropped off A and the kids and went in search of their parking...

By the time they texted to say that they were on the way onto the ship, we scrambled into an elevator that stopped at every floor, and then missed them walking onto the ship by about 10 seconds. I wanted to get photos but it was actually funny that they could see us coming down in the glass elevator and so we all waved frantically at each other and met in the lobby to exchange hugs and share the excitement of actually all being on board.

Jenny & Scott
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
barbbarnes
Earning My Ears

I'm really enjoying your trip report! We will be sailing on the magic in October.
barbbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Loving your trip report! So our first cruise will be in October on a 5 night. You now have me wondering if I should just plan a palo for pirate night. I hadn't planned on any dinners, just the brunch because I didn't want to miss the MDR experiences. We have late dining. Maybe it makes sense to skip the MDRS on pirate night?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Loving your trip report! So our first cruise will be in October on a 5 night. You now have me wondering if I should just plan a palo for pirate night. I hadn't planned on any dinners, just the brunch because I didn't want to miss the MDR experiences. We have late dining. Maybe it makes sense to skip the MDRS on pirate night?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Do you have children going with you? If you do, then I wouldn't skip Pirate's Night in the MDR. The kids love it. If you don't, then I suppose it depends on how much you want to experience the "entertainment" part of the MDR that night. It is our least favorite menu, but it's a fun night in the MDR. We've done Palo on Pirate night and there's nothing done in Palo to distinguish it from any other night. Also, if it is just adults I think it's easier to find a spot to watch the fireworks but maybe not see the stage show part after you are done in the MDR even with late dining. HTHs and thanks for following along.

Jenny & Scott
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
NOKA06
Earning My Ears

Smile

Just read through your report in one sitting. We were on the Jan.4 8-day and booked this cruise but had to reschedule to the Bahamas cruise on the Wonder in Nov. Loving your report. We are headed to WDW in August so you have us excited for that. Thank you for doing this TR.
NOKA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Another great day Jenny Love your Palo photos, I would never have thought to have a Kir Royale for Brunch, I may give it a go next time

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Just found your T. It looks like you're having a great cruise despite a few health glitches. Im sorry you didnt feel well at Palo. We koved the after dinner beverage, so soothing.

We enjoyed the Martini tasting too, but had a difderent host. The day at CC looks wonderful, finally our next cruise will include a trip there!

Your day at WDW would have killed me! I can't go that long without a nap or some sort of downtime in the room!

Sounds like a very nice Brunch at Palo. We fall into that group who makes a Palo reservation on Pirate night to escape the dress up, chaos and the menu. We don't have kids and it works out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
We were on this cruise also and in the room next to you! 6074 Really enjoying your TR..looks like we had the same dining rotation too
Thanks for clarifying this Nunzia. I knew you boarded the day we got off the ship, I was wondering when this cruise took place.

Can't wait to hear about the rest!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
tennesseemo
Earning My Ears

Love, love, love your trip reports. Looking forward to the last sea day
tennesseemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemo View Post
Love, love, love your trip reports. Looking forward to the last sea day
I see you couldn't resist creating a log in so you can reply! I'm sure the trip report would be even better if you were IN it!

Jenny & Scott
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
tennesseemo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post

I see you couldn't resist creating a log in so you can reply! I'm sure the trip report would be even better if you were IN it!
Agreed. Maybe next time. Marley dreams of taking a Disney cruise. She reminds me all the time that I promised to take her before she graduates from high school 🎓
tennesseemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: