Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
phdhycster
Mouseketeer

Help need info on Animal Kingdom Lodge

Just booked a few nights at the lodge for the beginning of September and was very excited UNTIL a friend said that due to the heat the animals do not come out and it is smelly. Can anyone tell me about their experience at the AKL in September?
phdhycster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
mapmakerj
DIS Veteran

I have stayed there in the heat of summer and I saw animals active during the day. As far as animal smells go, I've stayed Savannah view several times and never once have I smelled animals and that includes when I was there when the heat index was over 100º two summers in a row. Go and enjoy!
6/09-Celebrated my and DH's 40th BD's for 14 nights (9 Swan & 5 RPR)
10/06-1st MNSSHP-AKL;12/04-DS's 1st trip-AKL;9/98-1st trip to WDW for 2nd Honeymoon-offsite
mapmakerj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I have never noticed these problems at the AKL. I wouldn't doubt that sometimes animals rest in the shade etc. at certain times in the day, but we always seen some sort of animal at most times of the day while we visit. I have never noticed a bad smell either.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Cotillard
Mouseketeer

I'm guessing you're going to be a whole lot more focused on how incredible the smells coming from Boma and Jiko are, than from any animal smells
The lodge is gorgeous. Go and have fun!

P.S. They do take the animals in at some point during the day for care and maybe some feeding but they are out in the morning and afternoon and evening.

º Grand Floridian July 2005 ○ Grand Floridian CL Dec 2005 ○ Polynesian April 2006 ○ Polynesian CL March 2007 ○ Boardwalk Inn CL April 2008 ○ Bay Lake Tower May 2010 ○ Beach Club June 2010 ○ Wilderness Lodge CL Oct 2010 ○ AKL CL Feb 2011 º Boardwalk Inn October 2011 º POR Royal Room March 2012 º Beach Club June 2013 º
Cotillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Cappy81
Mouseketeer

We were there last Sept. We were able to see tons of animals and did not smell any foul odors! You will love it!

3/12 Poly, 9/12 AKL, 9/13 WL, 9/14 AKL
Cappy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
karenklo
DIS Veteran

We were there last June and it was hot! We had animals outside our balcony all the time! They were just laying around in the middle of the day, but morning and evening they were active. I really didn't notice a smell too much either. I will say, having animals outside was a quick way to get our boys up and out of bed! All I had to say was "Hey boys, there is a giraffe right outside" ad they were out of bed in a flash! I loved it there and you will too!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
myjourney
DIS Veteran

No it is not smelly. They are more active in the mornings and the evenings, but if you are staying there you will definitely see animals. I enjoy sitting on the balcony early in the morning with my coffee and watching the giraffes eat.

Oct 2014 Fort Wilderness 14 nights
Oct 2013 Fort Wilderness 9 nights
May 2013 4 nights AKL, 5 nights at POR (love Yeeha Bob!)
May 2012 5 nights AKL, 3 nights BCV, and 4 nights SSR TH
March 2011 SSR and POR
October 2010 CSR
May 2010 Kidani Village and Saratoga Spring Resort
Oct 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2009 Saratoga Springs Resort
Nov 2008 Saratoga Springs Resort
June 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge
myjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
karmacats
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at AKL three times and never smelled a thing (except Boma and Jiko!). Two of those trips were in early October, and it was hot, but there were still plenty of animals out and about. All 3 times we had savannah-view rooms and never smelled anything from our balconies, or from any public areas of the resort. The exception was next to the flamingo area, which smelled slightly fishy, but there are no rooms close by - it's behind the swimming pool (and you couldn't smell it from the pool - you really had to get right up close to it to smell anything).

Our third trip was last month and we did two of the tours that bring you onto the savannahs in jeeps, and even then we did not smell any animal/poop smells more than two or three times, and those times we were literally right next to the animals (maybe 6 inches between the jeep and the animal). Even from a couple feet away, we didn't smell anything.

There are animal keepers out there 24/7, looking out for the animals and scooping the poop! They don't leave it around to start smelling.

That's my long-winded way of saying, I wouldn't worry about the smells at all.
karmacats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdhycster View Post
Just booked a few nights at the lodge for the beginning of September and was very excited UNTIL a friend said that due to the heat the animals do not come out and it is smelly. Can anyone tell me about their experience at the AKL in September?
Just stayed this past September. Didn't notice any animal smells.

Animals are definitely there. Don't worry - you won't miss them!!!

Absolutely gorgeous resort. Enjoy!!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I have never smelled animals and we arrived at 12pm in July and saw this outside our balcony:
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

we were there in April and did for the first time notice a smell from our balcony. (we were at Kidani -- standard view room. .not sure what savannah we faced.) we were in the last section of Kidani.... pool side
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We've stayed there many times, always with a room facing the savanna, and never smelled anything. There are people maintaining the savanna all the time. Our hottest trip was in July -- the animals were still out all over the savanna. They do get more active in the early morning and the early evening, though. My family really enjoys the animals and we spend a fair amount on time on our balcony each trip, enjoying the view -- if there was a bad smell it really would have bothered us, but there wasn't one.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Kimberle
WL Vet

Has your friend actually stayed at AKL? We stayed for a full week in August. The animals were always out. They didn't smell at all. I would get our b/fast and we'd eat on our balcony. It was hard tearing ourselves away to go to the parks.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

Yep I agree, no smell at all!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

They are African animals living in Florida...trust me..they are used to the heat.

We have stayed at and visited AKL many times. NEVER had a smell issue. The only animal smell we ever encountered there was by the flamingo area...but they are the stinkiest creatures and even Disney Magic can't make it smell lovely all the time.

Be excited for AKL - it is an absolutely beautiful resort.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: