Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
WDW1979

Disney CFO explains rationale for MyMagic+ on earnings conf call

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/call-d...225441629.html
1979 June - Days Lodge Kissimmee; 1991 Aug/Sep - rental house; 1997 May - Dixie Landings (DxL); 1998 May - DxL & Polynesian MK View; 1999 July Wilderness Lodge (WL); 2000 May – WL, DxL & Grand Floridian; 2002 April DxL; 2002 May - Newport Bay Club at Disneyland Paris; 2003 May - Residence Inn LBV; 2004 April - Villas at WL & Beach Club Villas (BCV); 2005 Jan/Feb - Fort Wilderness (FtW) Cabins & Royal Pacific & Hilton GVC; 2005 May - Hampton Inn & DxL; 2006 Jan - FtW Cabins & BCV; 2006 Aug - BCV & Contemporary MK View; 2007 March - Port Orleans Riverside (POR)/DxL; 2008 May solo trip while on business – Pop Century; 2008 Aug - Embassy Suites; 2009 July - Disneyland Hotel in Hong Kong; 2009 Dec - Homewood Suites LBV& WL; 2011 March - POR, FtW campsite; 2012 March - POR, FtW campsite; 2013 August - Contemporary, POR; 2014 March - POR
WDW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Let's suck all discretionary money, all credit card allowances and all possible bonus and/or future unrecognizd money from our Walmart demographic and we're bound to make our quarterly bonuses for the next two or three years. Yeah, that's magic!
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

And don’t forget our fabulous upgrades...you know, FLE ... It's so much better than HP or Seaworld's Antartica ... Oh wait...
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2
And dont forget our fabulous upgrades...you know, FLE ... It's so much better than HP or Seaworld's Antartica ... Oh wait...
I'm heading home today from an 8 day trip at contemporary...

I can't even begin to encapsulate my thoughts on the "fantastic" new fantasyland additions...

Snow White needs to be the most thrilling ride in Disney history...or this thing won't even qualify to be "smoke and mirrors"

They didnt even bother to bring the mirrors...and cut costs on the smoke
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Let's suck all discretionary money, all credit card allowances and all possible bonus and/or future unrecognizd money from our Walmart demographic and we're bound to make our quarterly bonuses for the next two or three years. Yeah, that's magic!
I love this quote from The CFO "When they get into the Orlando market and their time isn't yet planned, they can be subject to everything you see down there, which is a lot of in-city marketing for all the many products that people have put there to basically bleed off the feed that we fundamentally motivate."

It almost sounds retaliatory towards customers who have dared to wander off. Now they will show us, and they will lock us down with magicbands and the FP+ addiction. At least they are being open about it.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I was on my way to post a link here, but of course got distracted on my way...

Here's Jason Garcia's version from the Orlando Sentinel.

Honestly, nothing really new...when they first announced the plan, they admitted that it was really all about squeezing an extra 10-20% out of the guests. Some of which we had already figured out - make it so easy to pay for things that you don't think twice about it.

Now they are admitting the rest...make you plan in advance, so that you can't change your plans later
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I was on my way to post a link here, but of course got distracted on my way...

Here's Jason Garcia's version from the Orlando Sentinel.

Honestly, nothing really new...when they first announced the plan, they admitted that it was really all about squeezing an extra 10-20% out of the guests. Some of which we had already figured out - make it so easy to pay for things that you don't think twice about it.

Now they are admitting the rest...make you plan in advance, so that you can't change your plans later
This is the biggest reason FP+ will be rationed. They will become too valuable to skip and go somewhere else. If you book them in advance you will use them.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
gr8estg8r
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I love this quote from The CFO "When they get into the Orlando market and their time isn't yet planned, they can be subject to everything you see down there, which is a lot of in-city marketing for all the many products that people have put there to basically bleed off the feed that we fundamentally motivate."

It almost sounds retaliatory towards customers who have dared to wander off. Now they will show us, and they will lock us down with magicbands and the FP+ addiction. At least they are being open about it.
Well great way to think negatively! Actually what I think that he meant is that many people come to Orlando thinking of only Disney World and realize that there are other things to do. If they get those guest to pre-plan for most of their trip at Disney, then that will keep them on-property. Disney World is the reason Orlando is the biggest tourist destination. They just don't want people to be enticed by other offerings. For instance, when Disneyland opened there were many motels and hotels that sprung up around it. Disney lost this revenue by not having their own hotels and such in the area.
One could also argue that if they spent more money by investing in new rides they would get more revenue that way, but long-term (after new ride effect wears off) mymagic+ probably will have a bigger impact if it has the effect they forsee.
gr8estg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8estg8r View Post
Well great way to think negatively! Actually what I think that he meant is that many people come to Orlando thinking of only Disney World and realize that there are other things to do. If they get those guest to pre-plan for most of their trip at Disney, then that will keep them on-property. Disney World is the reason Orlando is the biggest tourist destination. They just don't want people to be enticed by other offerings. For instance, when Disneyland opened there were many motels and hotels that sprung up around it. Disney lost this revenue by not having their own hotels and such in the area.
One could also argue that if they spent more money by investing in new rides they would get more revenue that way, but long-term (after new ride effect wears off) mymagic+ probably will have a bigger impact if it has the effect they forsee.

I'm one of the people that believes MyMagic+ will actually be a negative effect for Disney. I have a rigid schedule in my day to day life, it's one of the things I look forward to shedding as soon as possible while on vacation. I don't like having to book meals 180 days in advance, but in order to eat at certain places, you have to. That's about as much planning as I'm willing to do on my vacation, I don't want to have to schedule every day of my vacation around which rides we want to ride and when 6 months in advance.

Will this work for a couple of years? Sure I think it will, but I think once people see how rigid their schedules are, maybe they won't book return trips to WDW as often as they did before.

Disney also has to walk a fine line here, I think we all believe and are ok with companies making profits, it is in fact what they are in business for. However, once those companies are perceived as "greedy", that does in fact turn people away from them. Most people are already paying thousands of dollars for a Disney vacation, and now they want to squeeze more money out of us? Careful Disney.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
I have a rigid schedule in my day to day life, it's one of the things I look forward to shedding as soon as possible while on vacation. I don't like having to book meals 180 days in advance, but in order to eat at certain places, you have to. That's about as much planning as I'm willing to do on my vacation, I don't want to have to schedule every day of my vacation around which rides we want to ride and when 6 months in advance.
100% agree with this.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
MonorailLime
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
Most people are already paying thousands of dollars for a Disney vacation, and now they want to squeeze more money out of us? Careful Disney.
Disney is targeting people who could be spending more, but don't have the time, or incentive to do so. MyMagic+ aims to understand your likes and dislikes and tailor a personalized experience to you. YOU decide how much you spend, not Disney. Disney is simply making it easier for you to spend. It's similar to saying that 'eating McDonalds makes you fat,' when in reality, your choice to eat McDonalds makes you fat.
There's a difference in accessibility and use of a program. I love TapToEnter. I don't have to dig through my wallet to find my room key. I simply tap the whole wallet and I'm in my room. This is helpful when my hands are full with luggage, or breakfast because the family is just waking up.
However, I limit how much I can spend at the Front Desk. It's my responsibility to utilize an easily accessible item within the limits I understand myself.
MonorailLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post

I loved that quote as well... the thing is - it's TRUE.

From Disney's perspective, I think Magic+ is brilliant. I'm an avid Disney fan, a frequent Disney visitor and I cannot wait to try this out. Simply cannot stand the FP system right now. It is cumbersome and inefficient. I am sick and tired of getting squeezed out of good parade views at the last minute by folks who elbow their way to the front of the crowd. I'll GLADLY plan my trip out xxx months in advance to have a more painless, efficient visit. As for those who want to fly by the seat of their pants and wait in the queue - be my guest!

There will be plenty of people who won't take advantage of this. I was just talking with someone today who is going to Disney this summer and had never heard of a FastPass.

I bet there will be a certain # of FastPass "slots" on MyMagic + and once those are gone, everyone else will be left with standby. It will be the great equalizer - Disney is rewarding those who plan well in advance with having a smooth, hassle-free experience. Love it.

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
Now as an offsite guest, his rationale just does not work. I will if anything...feel jipped, if I can not get on the rides I want because the FP's have all been booked by onsite guest and I have to say this makes other parks look more attractive. I will be more likely to have less days in Disney, because I want to see Discovery Cove, Sea World, Universal and maybe even Busch Gardens.
Off site guests will still be able to participate in FP+/MDE. Prebooking of FP+ slots will be available to anyone who purchases their ticket media in advance and has it shipped to their home (including via authorized resellers). Whether or not a user was able to prebook, there will still be opportunities to add and change FP+ selections inside the park.

Quote:
I do not think this will spread out crowds across the park, because we all want to ride the rides we want to ride. The top rides, will stay the top rides!
Just because the top rides are the top rides doesn't mean Disney will allow all of the available prebookings for any given ride to be at the same time. Furthermore, with the active RFID transmitter in the Magicband and sensors throughout the parks, Disney will be able to see things like maybe too many Magicbands detected in Frontierland, so 1/4 of those detected receive a surprise Fastpass to Hall of Presidents (window starting immediately), another 1/4 of those MDE users get a coupon for a free Dole Whip valid for the next two hours, and another 1/4 receive a surprise Fastpass for Buzz with the window starting in twenty minutes. All of these delivered by push alert through the MDE app for smartphone users or by text message for non smartphone users. Sure some might not get the message, some intentionally didn't get sent an offer, some might not care about the offer they received, and there are non-Magicband users in the area still, but there would be a significant effect on crowd levels in Frontierland due to the measures taken by MDE. And all of that is before taking into account that prebooked FP+ slots for each attraction are going to be spread evenly throughout the day which already provides a certain measure of crowd distribution control.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Last I heard, it was not known for sure that fp+ would be available same-day in the park. Has any official word been released?

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
Last I heard, it was not known for sure that fp+ would be available same-day in the park. Has any official word been released?
No. Very little official information is available.

There were lots of discussions a while ago about the mathematics. It depends a LOT on the adoption by those capable of doing the planning.

If they make the entire pool of time slots available for pre-booking, then it is possible to exhaust the slots on the headliners prior to the day in question. Almost certainly for popular times.

If they don't, then it becomes a competition among the pre-bookers to get the limited slots available (much like for ADRs), but then the remainder will be available in the park on that day for those who didn't pre-plan. This is the more likely scenario.

Limiting how many you can pre-book (which we do know), and forcing tiered choices that even further limit headliner choices (which seems likely based on all prior tests), will probably limit the pre-bookers from being able to take too many choice slots anyways.

A remaining question is how will additional FP+ be treated in-park - can you then pre-book a later slot that day, or will it be the traditional first slot available? If the latter, it might not solve the problems like the TSM Dash...

Another...can you get a same-day FP+ for an attraction that you already have/had for an attraction that was pre-booked?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: