Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
sjv919
Mouseketeer

Extra night at the GF?

We got an amaaaazzinnggg deal on the Grand Floridian over Labor Day weekend (Friday August 30th-Monday September 2nd), and are driving in the evening of the 29th from Tampa. We are considering extending our stay by a night and hitting the GF when we drive in Thursday night, even though all we'll do is eat dinner and then crash (leaving right after work, we'll be tired lol). Or we would otherwise stick to our original plan and just stay in one of the DTD hotels for the night and switch over in the morning.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions to share with me on which way I should do it?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
greengeen
Mouseketeer

Having done both (crash cheap on first night/add a full price night at the resort), I really prefer the second. The $$ I might save on the first night isn't worth losing a full, continuous, uninterrupted, relaxing Disney experience.
greengeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
poohbearwithme
Don't ever change this title if you receive Tag Fairy Tag or it will disapear

I'm a stay cheap on the travel night, because it is a travel day, type person and don't see wasting the funds if the day can't be fully enjoyed and being tried from traveling. So I would say save the money stay somewhere cheap and do something that evening like a nice dinner show and then check in the next day at Disney.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I agree with greengeen that I would add that Thursday night at the GF. I think getting in Thursday night and relaxing/unpacking is worth the extra money over saving a little and having to move the next morning. Plus getting in the night before you know your room will be ready upon check in, which may not be the case Friday morning and you might have to wait for your room.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I've often thought about spending that first night in a cheap place (we arrive between 8pm - 11pm usually), but I'm always glad when we check into our resort instead and start our vacation right away. When we get up in the morning, we are already set and we can have a quick breakfast and go to the parks instead of switching hotels and wasting that time.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We are spending our first night at Pop. Don't have to unpack. I'll have my Jammie's & a change of clothes in my carry on. First thing in the morning all I have to do is drive over to GF, drop luggage with bell service, check in and go off to a park. I can be at a park for rope drop. The $$$ savings for that 1 night is worth it for me. But everyone's "worth" is different.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I would want to get there and settle in. Have dinner there or on the monorail. Even though you will be sleeping you will get all those extra hours the next day.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Nina1
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeen View Post
Having done both (crash cheap on first night/add a full price night at the resort), I really prefer the second. The $$ I might save on the first night isn't worth losing a full, continuous, uninterrupted, relaxing Disney experience.
This!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

If you were staying a week or longer, I would say go with the least expensive option the first night. Then move over to GF. It really takes a few days to settle in. With your shorter stay (which I am sure will be wonderful), I would not want to break it up by changing resorts. JMO.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
sjv919
Mouseketeer

Thanks, everyone, for your responses and things to think about! We think we've decided to do the Hilton in DTD for the night, so we're right there anyway and we can spend what we save on shopping or dinner.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: