Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Wazzo
Is in need of a No Way Jose!
Just the unput I was looking for
I'm the undecided party

Question Resort arrival by car

Hi!

We usually take ME from the airport, but this time we'll be driving to AKL. These are probably silly questions, but we've never arrived at a resort in a car!

Where do we go when we first arrive? Is there a parking lot for check-in?
If we drive up to the front, do they expect us to be using valet?
How about our bags? Does bell services offer to help, and if so, is there a fee?

Thanks!!
Wazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Clare Voince
In Spiritual Repose

When you arrive, you can drive up to the entrance and have bell services help you unload even if you're not using valet. After you unload, one of your party can park in the self park while the rest goes in to check in. At least that's how we do it. ;> There's no fee for bell services, but you should tip $1-2 per bag.

My Disney Photo Gallery

Click here to see my burial place at the Haunted Mansion.
Sept 2014 - Boardwalk Inn / Sept 2012 - WDW Dolphin / Oct 2007 - Polynesian Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge Club Level - split stay / Oct 2005 - Grand Californian Hotel - Disneyland / June 2003 - Boardwalk Inn
1976-1988 - 13 Childhood trips spent at Polynesian Resort, Contemporary Resort, Fort Wilderness, Treehouses, and Grand Floridian
Clare Voince is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Wazzo
I'm the undecided party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare Voince View Post
When you arrive, you can drive up to the entrance and have bell services help you unload even if you're not using valet. After you unload, one of your party can park in the self park while the rest goes in to check in. At least that's how we do it. ;> There's no fee for bell services, but you should tip $1-2 per bag.
Thank you so much!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
cceandme
Mouseketeer

we drive to front desk and then when we know our room they will tell you where it is and we move our car there. We always unload our bags ourselves.

Me(Rhonda)38, Randy39 ,Chelsea 20, Cody 19 , Ethan 13 ,
Also at home a dog, a cat, a Macaw, a Ball python, a Leopard Gecko and a goldfish
cceandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzo View Post
Where do we go when we first arrive? Is there a parking lot for check-in?
If we drive up to the front, do they expect us to be using valet?
How about our bags? Does bell services offer to help, and if so, is there a fee?
When you arrive at the guard station, let the guard know you're checking in. He or she will direct you to the front entrance (or just follow the signs because it's pretty well marked). Once there, pull up to the main entrance. There is no separate parking area for check-in, unless you count a few of the spots right near the main entrance (they will often ask you to park there if you do have to leave your car to check-in or are waiting for bell service to bring your bags).

Bell services will come with a cart to help unload your luggage. I suppose you can do it yourself, but I always let the bell services person unload the car and then take up the luggage to my room. As the PP said, no fee, but tips are appreciated.

Once the car is unloaded, one person can drive it to the parking area (down the ramp) while everyone else goes to check in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cceandme View Post
we drive to front desk and then when we know our room they will tell you where it is and we move our car there. We always unload our bags ourselves.
AKL only has one parking area and you can't drive your car closer to your room. I know this is common at the Values and the moderates, but it isn't really possible at AKL.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Wazzo
I'm the undecided party

Great info. Thanks! Will have tips ready!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: