Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
jenny_nichole
Mouseketeer

Will Magic have Magic Portholes after Dry Dock?

We're looking into a cruise on the Magic after dry dock this November. Does anyone know if they are planning to add the magic portholes to the inside cabins? If so, I may be able to talk dh into 2 adjoining inside cabins vs. 1 balcony for our family of 5.

Does anyone have info on what changes(if any) will be made to the staterooms?

Thanks,
Jennifer
jenny_nichole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_nichole View Post
We're looking into a cruise on the Magic after dry dock this November. Does anyone know if they are planning to add the magic portholes to the inside cabins? If so, I may be able to talk dh into 2 adjoining inside cabins vs. 1 balcony for our family of 5.

Does anyone have info on what changes(if any) will be made to the staterooms?

Thanks,
Jennifer
It was said that adding magic portholes would be cost prohibited and they are not.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
plethera1
Earning My Ears

That's a shame but I understand how adding video screens to all inside staterooms would be a pretty large undertaking.
plethera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Not sure on how it would be cost prohibitive since there are pipe chases for every room on the ship to run cables plumbing etc.it's relatively simple to run . the cables and install the screens. they do it each time a room gets rewired. If it was not done I would think it has more to do with giving the ships a separate identity then anything else. Same way each ship has a different pirates fireworks show and stage show.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Not sure on how it would be cost prohibitive since there are pipe chases for every room on the ship to run cables plumbing etc.it's relatively simple to run . the cables and install the screens. they do it each time a room gets rewired. If it was not done I would think it has more to do with giving the ships a separate identity then anything else. Same way each ship has a different pirates fireworks show and stage show.
Hey Truck,

I am afraid I would have to disagree with you on this one.

1. The materials, EI wiring and screens are cheap.

2. The costs to feed these wires though the present pipe chases/conduits,(if there is additional space available)would be labor intensive. Specially if they needed new install conduits. In addition the inside rooms are not all in one area, but scattered around the vessel.

I do agree with your comment that this maybe to each the vessels identities separate.

It also crossed my mind that they maybe be waiting for the next generation of portholes. (I.E. whole verandas?)
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
truck1

Under normal circumstances I would say true. But if they l ready have the ceiling down to chase leaking pipes and gut the cabins to steel half the work is already done. Were only talking maybe 2 cables. Not a whole rooms worth,and a handful of rooms not the whole ship. Say maybe 80 rooms.

Last edited by truck1; 05-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1
Under normal circumstances I would say true. But if they l ready have the ceiling down to chase leaking pipes and gut the cabins to steel half the work is already done. Were only talking maybe 2 cables. Not a whole rooms worth,and a handful of rooms not the whole ship. Say maybe 80 rooms.
I don't think it is cost effective, at least not for us. We could get a totally nice room with a balcony for less than a magic porthole interior. So for us it was a plus. We got a whole veranda for the first time in our lives for less than an interior. I'm sure we would do it again too, pick veranda over a magic porthole especially especially if its cheaper..
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids

I don't think it is cost effective, at least not for us. We could get a totally nice room with a balcony for less than a magic porthole interior. So for us it was a plus. We got a whole veranda for the first time in our lives for less than an interior. I'm sure we would do it again too, pick veranda over a magic porthole especially especially if its cheaper..
We were referring to be cost effective to retrofit as opposed to price of the room.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Um yeah. I understand that. Point being if we aren't going to pay to fill those rooms when we would rather have a lo tech stateroom for less, then it isn't going to be cost effective as an investment for them to retrofit the old stuff.

Yikes... Just like my husband who thinks he has to explain everything that is already completely obvious...
Actually, I don't think it is the underlying cost of the technology that has made the interior staterooms cost more, but rather their popularity - both the magic portholes and the fact that the newer ships have a lower proportion of cabins that are interior. Plain old supply and demand is making the interiors more expensive.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1

We were referring to be cost effective to retrofit as opposed to price of the room.
Um yeah. I understand that. Point being if we aren't going to pay to fill those rooms when we would rather have a lo tech stateroom for less, then it isn't going to be cost effective as an investment for them to retrofit the old stuff.

Yikes... Just like my husband who thinks he has to explain everything that is already completely obvious...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Royal Caribbean announced that they are adding their new "virtual balconies" when they do a major drydock of the Voyager, next year, so I wonder if that will make DCL rethink adding them to the Magic?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...ipCode=NV&br=R

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy
Royal Caribbean announced that they are adding their new "virtual balconies" when they do a major drydock of the Voyager, next year, so I wonder if that will make DCL rethink adding them to the Magic?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...ipCode=NV&br=R
That seems lame to me.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy

Actually, I don't think it is the underlying cost of the technology that has made the interior staterooms cost more, but rather their popularity - both the magic portholes and the fact that the newer ships have a lower proportion of cabins that are interior. Plain old supply and demand is making the interiors more expensive.
That is an interesting theory. I'm sure they can capitalize on the uniqueness of the stateroom, but all I know is that rooms were selling out very fast within the 3 weeks we were looking to book. There were still plenty of them left to my knowledge. I got to wake up, watch the sunrise from my balcony, and jump back into bed. It was a first for me, not likely to be a last. There is no tech that can beat that for this particular kind of cruiser. Especially at less the price than a magic interior.. If there was so much demand for them, the likelihood is that they would be retrofitting them. Those are my thoughts at least. But if keeps my verandas cheaper, woohoo.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

If they're going to do any video line rewiring, I'd rather have the on-demand system on the stateroom tvs than a virtual porthole on an inside cabin.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

I sort of hope they don't bother. Anything they do will increase the price and I can barely afford it now!! :P
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: