Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

How to make camping bearable for someone who hates it?

I hate camping. My parents used to take us camping as kids. Sometimes in a cabin. Sometimes an RV. Sometimes in a tent. I hated it. Still hate it. I read it here once and it sums it up perfectly: The value resorts is as close to camping as I get.

My husband likes camping. Specifically tent camping. We tried once. It rained the whole time. Miserable experience. I want to go to some caverns here in Florida and they have a campground. I was thinking of asking DH if he would like to camp for the weekend. I am not sure though.

If I decide to bring this up, how do I make it bearable for me? And before anyone asks, I pretty much dislike the whole experience. I don't like sleeping in a tent, cooking on a fire, etc. This place does have showers and a bathroom though.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Beer
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

I don't know what to tell you. My family camped when I was young and I hated it. I always say that's why God invented hotels......so people like me would not have to camp.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Don't go.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Don't go.
Amen to that!!

OP, my dh and sons loved camping and fishing. I loathe, hate and despise both of those. like you it seemed like every time I tried it, it rained the entire time.
Truthfully I think they had much more fun when I didn't go. So after a few times at it, I left the camping to them. They called it their "man" trip. I stayed home, ate chocolate cake, watched all my corny musicals and went window shopping by myself at antique stores.

they were happy, I was happy.

Ft. Wilderness is about as "wilderness" as I want to get.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

For me, it's comfort while sleeping. That means either a GOOD air mattress or a camp cot. I hate sleeping on the ground with just a sleeping bag. I also hate being hot while trying to sleep (well at any time but while trying to sleep it's unbearable to me) so I'd either only go camping while it's still cool at night and/or bring a fan (assuming I can get electricity to run it).

If you hate cooking over a fire, maybe invest in a camp stove that runs off of propane (the small mini tanks). They aren't that expensive and it's more like cooking over a gas stove. You could also try and plan a lot of meals that require little to no cooking.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emom View Post
i don't know what to tell you. My family camped when i was young and i hated it. I always say that's why god invented hotels......so people like me would not have to camp.
+1
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Ack, I loathe tent camping too. I mean, I like the part in the evening when you can see the stars and sit around the fire, but everything else stinks. My family used to camp every summer (dead of summer...in Texas) on an island at the lake. No bathrooms, no electricity, nada. I am positively terrified of bugs (I put a hole in the tent when I was 9 b/c I was trying to kill a spider with an ax). I hatehatehatehatehate the heat. Seriously, how does anyone sleep without A/C. It's insanity. At the lake it was always so hot, even the water was like bathtub water.

And I DO NOT use the bathroom outdoors. Not anymore, not gonna happen (when I was a kid, I made myself sick every time holding it in). And since as an adult I always have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, even if there is a nearby bathroom center, I'm not getting dressed, grabbing a flashlight and hauling myself alone all the way to some spooky Camp Crystal Lake scenario. Seriously, even those really nice campsite bathrooms always have some awful spider/scorpion/centipede lurking in the corner. BLAH! I also sleep lightly, so no matter how glam the camp, I will be up all night. So on the flip side, most campgrounds are so overrun nowadays, and people so clueless about camping etiquette, that you might as well be camping in a parking lot for all the peace, quiet and nature you get.

The only way I might go camping now is if it's not actual camping, like with a good RV or a nicely maintained cabin with a frequent relationship with an Exterminator. Though my idea of the latter is something like the Wilderness Lodge. That's about as close to roughing it as I like to get.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv View Post
Ack, I loathe tent camping too. I mean, I like the part in the evening when you can see the stars and sit around the fire, but everything else stinks. My family used to camp every summer (dead of summer...in Texas) on an island at the lake. No bathrooms, no electricity, nada. I am positively terrified of bugs (I put a hole in the tent when I was 9 b/c I was trying to kill a spider with an ax). I hatehatehatehatehate the heat. Seriously, how does anyone sleep without A/C. It's insanity. At the lake it was always so hot, even the water was like bathtub water.

And I DO NOT use the bathroom outdoors. Not anymore, not gonna happen (when I was a kid, I made myself sick every time holding it in). And since as an adult I always have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, even if there is a nearby bathroom center, I'm not getting dressed, grabbing a flashlight and hauling myself alone all the way to some spooky Camp Crystal Lake scenario. Seriously, even those really nice campsite bathrooms always have some awful spider/scorpion/centipede lurking in the corner. BLAH! I also sleep lightly, so no matter how glam the camp, I will be up all night. So on the flip side, most campgrounds are so overrun nowadays, and people so clueless about camping etiquette, that you might as well be camping in a parking lot for all the peace, quiet and nature you get.

The only way I might go camping now is if it's not actual camping, like with a good RV or a nicely maintained cabin with a frequent relationship with an Exterminator. Though my idea of the latter is something like the Wilderness Lodge. That's about as close to roughing it as I like to get.
Too funny and I am right there with you.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Find a place that will rent you a hard side camper and set it up at the campground for you. In the end, a hotel would be cheaper, but it gives you some of the experience while still giving you a dry place to sleep.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
I hate camping. My parents used to take us camping as kids. Sometimes in a cabin. Sometimes an RV. Sometimes in a tent. I hated it. Still hate it. I read it here once and it sums it up perfectly: The value resorts is as close to camping as I get.

My husband likes camping. Specifically tent camping. We tried once. It rained the whole time. Miserable experience. I want to go to some caverns here in Florida and they have a campground. I was thinking of asking DH if he would like to camp for the weekend. I am not sure though.

If I decide to bring this up, how do I make it bearable for me? And before anyone asks, I pretty much dislike the whole experience. I don't like sleeping in a tent, cooking on a fire, etc. This place does have showers and a bathroom though.
What was it about sleeping in a tent that you didn't like? I know my one friend always thought that sleeping in a tent ment throwing sleeping bags on the floor of the tent to sleep in and that made her shudder. When using cots or air mattress were mentioned, she perked up. She liked either idea.

Cooking everything over a fire didn't float her boat either. They now have a very nice propane stove that she does quite a bit of cooking on. They also have this portable girll/griddle thing, that she loves. She'll make french toast on it in the morning, make grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch using the griddle, then for dinner she'll use the grill option and make grilled veggies on it. The meat, her DH will grill over the fire, but the more delicate stuff she does on her grill.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

I have no suggestions, but I could have written this myself. I recently started thinking that we should invest in a camper of some sort since we travel a lot and it would make sense financially, but I cringe just thinking about it.

Just like you, my parents brought us camping every year. I didn't mind it when I was little but I also didn't scream "let's go camping!" As I got older, the less I liked it. Just the thought makes me shudder. And tent camping is 100% out of the question. I'm impressed you even gave it consideration!
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

I'm working on the assumption that you're going for tent camping based on your post. Obviously an RV or cabin would be better for you, but if you're doing the tent, use air mattresses, world of difference. In fact, I prefer to use TWO separate ones for DH and I. Sleeping w/someone else on an air mattress is SO annoying to me - every time they move, your side bounces around also!

Something else that is so helpful is getting one of those EZ-up shelters. If it rains, or just in general, you have a shelter other than your tent

Also, be sure to get a site with electricity. That really opens up your options. Get string lights for your EZ-Up shelter.

Get comfy camp chairs, maybe a hammock. Little side table for your campfire goodies.

You should be able to take a full, nice shower at a decent campground. Really, there are few comforts you should be doing without, if that's the way you want to do it. Only difference is that you're outside.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #14
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

My poor dd likes to camp, but she will never go with me.

Why do I hate it? I don't like waking up feeling wet from the dew all over the place. Give me heat or an air conditioner that drains condensation. Plus, I am always always sore from the drafts. I need my shower, and I'm not talking a dorm-style one. And then there's the food. I don't really like having to cook dinner every night. Weekends, the meals are even worse. So the whole thought of having to cook without my kitchen, especially without my kitchen sink? I love nature, I love outdoors. I love having a lodge to stay in over night, preferably with a restaurant. (even counter style, lol.)
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I HATE HATE HATE camping. Can't say it enough. I went a couple times as a kid but didn't enjoy it. Neither did my mother so my dad and brother would go every summer by themselves. I went a couple times as a teenager with a group of friends but we just went to have huge parties so I didn't mind it as much then.

My DH dragged me camping one weekend when my son was 2 and I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. It was miserable and I couldn't wait to go home. Then he dragged me once again when my son was 5 and my DD was 3. The entire campground was swarmed with bees/wasps and I am allergic so I was freaked out the entire time. We stayed the one night and I made him pack up first thing in the morning and go home.

I'll never go again, I hate the dirt, food, really just the whole experience it just horrible to me. Plus being the mom I get stuck doing all the packing, unpacking, and camp chores. Really not fun at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: