Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Merida's New Look for Royal Coronation at WDW on May 11th

Merida to become 11th Disney Princess with new look for royal coronation ceremony at Walt Disney World on May 11

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...rld-on-may-11/

Quote:
Move over Rapunzel. The honor of being named the newest Disney Princess will soon go to Merida from Disney/Pixar’s Academy Award-winning film “Brave.”

Merida will officially become Disney’s 11th princess in a royal coronation, set to take place at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom theme park on Saturday, May 11, 2013. The ceremony will take place at 9:30 a.m.

All Magic Kingdom guests are invited to watch the Disney Princess coronation of Merida on May 11, 2013 at Cinderella Castle, but should be aware that Disney’s own cameras will be recording the event and will likely be blocking off a large area directly in front of the castle.

Click link for more details.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
Merida to become 11th Disney Princess with new look for royal coronation ceremony at Walt Disney World on May 11

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...rld-on-may-11/

Hooray for Merida! I loved Brave! Pocahontas' earrings kind of threw me in this pic, and Mulan really confused me with her sparkles! Will poor Merida be covered in glitter as well I wonder?
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Z28KatCar
"A wish is a dream your heart makes"

Yea!!!! So excited I love Merida!!

1974-1992 off site 2x/yr!, 1989-1992 Participant in the Candlelight procession ,1995 ASMV, 1997 AS, 1999 POFQ, 2003 Day Trip, 2010~2 wks ASMo, 2013~2 wks WL CL
Z28KatCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

But wouldn't Merida hate hanging with the other princesses? She'd be off with Flynn Ryder and Prince Phillip having adventures.

Well, maybe she'd hang with Pocahantas or Mulan.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post
Hooray for Merida! I loved Brave! Pocahontas' earrings kind of threw me in this pic, and Mulan really confused me with her sparkles! Will poor Merida be covered in glitter as well I wonder?
Why, of course she will. Didn't you know "more is more"?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Jubilee
<3 my kids

I cannot get over the lack of clothing on her shoulders.

Why do they want our little girls to "look up" to this more skanky look? I am totally boycotting all new princess merchandise. I said it when it debuted and I'll say it again. I also complain (in a joking way) to every person at the Disney Store and WDW that I possibly can, not that they can do anything....but it may eventually make it's way up the totem pole if we all speak (with our dollars, or lack thereof, of course.)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
makeitmagic39
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post

Why do they want our little girls to "look up" to this more skanky look? I am totally boycotting all new princess merchandise. I said it when it debuted and I'll say it again. I also complain (in a joking way) to every person at the Disney Store and WDW that I possibly can, not that they can do anything....but it may eventually make it's way up the totem pole if we all speak (with our dollars, or lack thereof, of course.)
I don't think anything could get 'more skanky' then Jasmine's original look
Or even Ariel's shells only for that matter

But I do agree, I think the new looks are stupid. There was nothing wrong with the old looks. Little girls were still falling in love with those princesses with those old looks every day. I just think it is silly.

It will happen
makeitmagic39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why do they want our little girls to "look up" to this more skanky look?
As opposed to when Ariel and Mulan were completely naked in their own movies? I guess I don't get where showing your shoulder is "skanky". I guess technically Jasmine's original outfit would be considered that, while the one pictured has a much higher waist than she used to have.

For the most part all the Princesses pictured are covered from their neckline to their feet.

Truthfully, I have a 10-year old daughter, and they are dressed much more conservatively than many of the girls her age.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
dadofgoofy
Mouseketeer

Huh?!?!?!?!

I would not call any of these princesses "skanky". They are princesses, not pilgrims.
dadofgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Pseudacris
Mouseketeer

I'm showing my shoulders right now! And despite being called a lot of things, I've never been called "skanky".
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:

You and me both!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
tianna26
Mouseketeer

Imo it doesnt look that bad now tinkerbell looks skanky
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Experiment113
Mouseketeer

The new look just doesn't suit Merida. From the impression I got from the movie, it seemed like she didn't want to dress up in fancy clothes. The new pics show a more princessey Merida when she is a kinda more of a tomboy.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post
Pocahontas' earrings appear to be feathers. While I know practically nothing about the American Indian culture, I think that feathers are frequently used. As to Mulan's 'sparkles', it seems to me that her dress merely has the shimmer that a silk dress would typically have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment113 View Post
The new look just doesn't suit Merida. From the impression I got from the movie, it seemed like she didn't want to dress up in fancy clothes. The new pics show a more princessey Merida when she is a kinda more of a tomboy.
While I admit that I haven't sat through that movie a thousand times with my daughter, so I am not an 'expert' on the character, isn't her dress basically the same as in the movie except for the scandalous shoulders? Also, it seems that the wild hair, bow, and quiver still send the 'tomboy' message.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Jimsig
Mouseketeer

Not everyone is happy about this change. From the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3238223.html
Jimsig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: