Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
cherbear
DIS Veteran

Stroller advice?? First time mom taking 12 month old to Disney

I have decided I want to bring my own stroller to Disney rather than renting one. That said, I do need to purchase a new lightweight stroller, and am very overwhelmed! I would like an inexpensive option, but I do want to use it for a while and hope to use it for a 2nd child later on, as well.

I have heard that the 2 best strollers for Disney are the City Mini, and the Britax B-agile. (Actually, while I was still pregnant I kept looking for a deal on the Britax but could never justify the price....especially when Babies R Us is constantly putting out 15% off or 20% off "all strollers" but the fine print always excludes Britax, which drives me completely insane!)

The stroller we are using right now is one my MIL bought for us, it's got 4 huge wheels, bulky, not easily foldable (MUST use 2 hands, takes me a minute to get it right) and does not fold small. So it is absolutely NOT an option for Disney. I have been wanting a new one anyway, so now's the time. We leave for Disney on June 29.

I happened to be at Target over the weekend and saw a few in my price range, but as they were up on a high platform I really could not check them out. The Baby Trend Expedition jogger was a good price but I have never heard anything about it.

I know that you seasoned moms here will be able to offer some sound advice, hence my post here.

Anyone ever buy used strollers? I would be open to that, but I don't frequent auction sites so I'm a nervous nelly about buying used and getting swindled.

WDW in July with a baby?? Am I crazy?!

1983-98--Multiple visits,'01-ASMu,'03-CSR,'06-ASMu; AS Sports,'07; Sept 08 & 09 @ Pop Century. Next visit....???
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

We have an Expedition and I LOVE it, however, it doesn't fit in my car, so it's just our neighborhood walk stroller. We also have the The First Years Ignite (they sell it at Target) and I absolutely love it. It's a slightly fancier umbrella stroller.

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Can you check kijiji or craigslist for a gently used Citimini? It is so easy to use, has a huge canopy and good recline. it also steers like a dream.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

I have bought used strollers and had good luck. I have a Maclaren Quest and love it.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

As a mom of 4, I highly recommend Maclaren! I am currently using the Maclaren Volo but my kids are older. I have loved every Maclaren I have owned.

Me(44) DH(48) DS17 DD11 DS8 DS5

theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
bgraham34
Wilderness Lodger

I have a City Mini and its the only stroller I would use. It collapses in about 1 second. Just pull the strap on the seat and its ready to go into a bus.

bgraham34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
CabesLove
Earning My Ears

We took our son last year at 12 months, and didn't feel like taking the bulky stroller. So we bought the Jeep Cherokee Sport one from Walmart for $50. I'd say it's about the next step up from being an umbrella type. I didn't expect much out of it, but was pleasantly surprised. It's super light, folds up pretty compact, but still has the storage spaces, tray, and cup holders. Plus, the bright color made it super easy to spot in crowded stroller parking. My son loves it, and I have no complaints. Best $50 I ever spent (and it's still going strong).

Sadly, I have no experience with the strollers you're looking at, but just wanted to say that I have bought a used stroller before with great success! I just frequent local online "yard sale" type sites (like bookoo, or area ones on Facebook), that way I have a chance to look at and try them out before paying.
CabesLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgraham34 View Post
I have a City Mini and its the only stroller I would use. It collapses in about 1 second. Just pull the strap on the seat and its ready to go into a bus.
I don't have a City Mini but I've heard they are great for WDW.

I purchased a Perego Pliko P3 from www.albeebaby.com back in 2008 for my niece. I have used it 4 times now at WDW. Folds almost flat, has a huge canopy, tray for child (can be taken off completely), can store upright, has a freedom movement 5 point harness (I don't know of another brand that has this) and you can take off the shoulder straps and make it 3 point. Adjustable footrest, parent cup holder, and extendable handles. Had no problem with the backpack over the handle-no tipping.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013

Last edited by squirrel; 04-26-2013 at 03:09 AM.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

If you are looking for one that you can also jog with I would not get the citimini. It's made by baby jogger but isn't a jogging stroller. I have a cybex umbrella stroller I got in a deal a day site. I really liked it when I had one kid. Easy to fold and compact.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
cherbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL_Megs View Post
We have an Expedition and I LOVE it, however, it doesn't fit in my car, so it's just our neighborhood walk stroller. We also have the The First Years Ignite (they sell it at Target) and I absolutely love it. It's a slightly fancier umbrella stroller.
Thanks Megs! Do you use the Ignite at WDW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneygirl View Post
Can you check kijiji or craigslist for a gently used Citimini? It is so easy to use, has a huge canopy and good recline. it also steers like a dream.
Kijiji? That must be new. I tried posting on my community yard sale group on FB asking if anyone was selling a lightweight stroller such as the Citi Mini but no luck there. I haven't checked Craigslist but I think I will. Just apprehensive as I want it to last a while, kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
I have bought used strollers and had good luck. I have a Maclaren Quest and love it.
Thanks! I used to hear great things about Maclaren (several years back) but it seems they are not as popular these days for some reason. I believe Baby Depot (Burlington's baby dept) sells Maclaren strollers so I may check for that one on Friday when we plan on heading toward the city(N.O.) for the day. I have a couple of 15% off (only good for one item) coupons for The Baby Depot so it would make for a good deal. We also need a new carseat so I'm on that hunt as well. My DD is 9 months now and we are still using the same carseat(!) so we definitely need a new one that she can use for the next couple of years.

WDW in July with a baby?? Am I crazy?!

1983-98--Multiple visits,'01-ASMu,'03-CSR,'06-ASMu; AS Sports,'07; Sept 08 & 09 @ Pop Century. Next visit....???

Last edited by cherbear; 04-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear View Post

Thanks Megs! Do you use the Ignite at WDW?.
This will be our first time, but we've used it around town (mall, shopping, etc.) and I love it. So much better than a clunky huge stroller. My only complaint is that the storage is hard to get to, but I don't carry a diaper bag anymore, so for me, it's a non issue. (A diaper bag could easily be hung on the handles).

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL_Megs View Post
This will be our first time, but we've used it around town (mall, shopping, etc.) and I love it. So much better than a clunky huge stroller. My only complaint is that the storage is hard to get to, but I don't carry a diaper bag anymore, so for me, it's a non issue. (A diaper bag could easily be hung on the handles).
This is what I thought when I bought the Ignite - however, it is so lightweight that the diaper bag tips it over. Every time you stop you have to take the diaper bag off and put it in the seat. I am so frustrated with the storage that I am now searching for a new stroller for WDW, unless we can achieve potty training before the next trip.

I have a city mini but the front wheel locks every few steps and they won't fix it - their suggestion was to buy another one!

I am looking at the B-agile for us, but every family has different needs and different functions that are most important for them...

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear View Post
Thanks Megs! Do you use the Ignite at WDW?

Kijiji? That must be new. I tried posting on my community yard sale group on FB asking if anyone was selling a lightweight stroller such as the Citi Mini but no luck there. I haven't checked Craigslist but I think I will. Just apprehensive as I want it to last a while, kwim?

Thanks! I used to hear great things about Maclaren (several years back) but it seems they are not as popular these days for some reason. I believe Baby Depot (Burlington's baby dept) sells Maclaren strollers so I may check for that one on Friday when we plan on heading toward the city(N.O.) for the day. I have a couple of 15% off (only good for one item) coupons for The Baby Depot so it would make for a good deal. We also need a new carseat so I'm on that hunt as well. My DD is 9 months now and we are still using the same carseat(!) so we definitely need a new one that she can use for the next couple of years.
The reason Maclaren strollers have become less popular is they have a hinge issue that was severing the fingers.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Another vote for the Ignite. It's a great stroller for the price. We just gave ours away to a family entering AK as we were leaving AK to head to the airport.

My kids will be too old for a stroller by the time we return to WDW, but I was still a little sad to part with it. Weird, I know.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post
The reason Maclaren strollers have become less popular is they have a hinge issue that was severing the fingers.

I think they have lost market share to the Citi mini. We had a Quest for 5 years with DS#1 and thought it was great, then I got a Citi mini for Ds#2 and it is way better, easier fold, never tips, bigger sunshade etc.

All the off site rental companies seems to rent the Citi mini and doubles.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: