Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
OnlyDisney
DIS Veteran
 
OnlyDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 817

Decorating room & Arcade times

Our son is turning 6 on our trip. We're staying at AoA and I was thinking of having Dad take the kids to the arcade so I could decorate our room as a surprise. I want to decorate before we go the park in the morning.

What time does the arcade open, early enough to go before rope drop? If not, what could I do to get them out of the room? I'm thinking I'd only need about 10-15 min.

Has anyone decorated a room for a birthday surprise?
__________________
Me , DH , DS 6 , DD 5 DN 11 DN 10
Nov/Dec 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
Jan 3-11, 2014 - FW Popup camping Surprise BDay Trip for son
Oct 25-Nov 7, 2015 - Fort Wilderness Family Trip
OnlyDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,096

I know a few years ago, the arcade at POR went 24/7. It is probably the same at all the resorts.

You can decorate the room, but you must NOT use tape of any kind - anything that leaves a residue behind.

A lot of people use balloons (except at AKL) and cling-ons on the windows.

You can also hang things with magnets on the doors, since they are metal.

You can do a search on decorating the room.
__________________
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
kgsmith
DIS Veteran
 
kgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 652

I decorated our room at BLT for my son's 11th birthday last month. He was so tired from a full day at the park, I did it all while he was asleep

I ordered a personalized birthday banner and some other decorations from Birthday Express. Everything was Disney-themed (large Mickey confetti, table centerpiece, etc.). I chose things that were easy to pack in the bottom of our suitcase. The only thing I needed to hang was the banner. It came with a reinforced hole at each corner -- I brought along some Command hooks. I ended up using two of them, and they worked perfectly.

Someone mentioned in another thread that you should be careful using Command products, but mine worked just as advertised -- easy removal without any damage to the paint or wall.

I also brought along some birthday cards that relatives had given me before our trip. My husband couldn't join us on our trip , so he gave me some little gifts and a card to give DS.

My son woke up on his birthday and was VERY surprised!

Make sure the hotel knows it's his birthday (I told them when I made the resrvation). My son received a fun phone message later in the day from some Disney friends!

I can't answer your question about the arcade.

Have a great trip!
__________________
Karen DH DS(12)



kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
OnlyDisney
DIS Veteran
 
OnlyDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
.....You can also hang things with magnets on the doors, since they are metal.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsmith View Post
I decorated our room at BLT for my son's 11th birthday last month. He was so tired from a full day at the park, I did it all while he was asleep

I ordered a personalized birthday banner and some other decorations from Birthday Express. Everything was Disney-themed (large Mickey confetti, table centerpiece, etc.). I chose things that were easy to pack in the bottom of our suitcase. The only thing I needed to hang was the banner. It came with a reinforced hole at each corner -- I brought along some Command hooks. I ended up using two of them, and they worked perfectly.

Someone mentioned in another thread that you should be careful using Command products, but mine worked just as advertised -- easy removal without any damage to the paint or wall.

I also brought along some birthday cards that relatives had given me before our trip. My husband couldn't join us on our trip , so he gave me some little gifts and a card to give DS.

My son woke up on his birthday and was VERY surprised!

Make sure the hotel knows it's his birthday (I told them when I made the resrvation). My son received a fun phone message later in the day from some Disney friends!

I can't answer your question about the arcade.

Have a great trip!
I like the idea of decorating while they are sleeping!

As for decorating the doors, do you use the magnets on the outside also? I saw some pictures of decorations on the outside of the door, but I'm not sure how they attached it.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 6 , DD 5 DN 11 DN 10
Nov/Dec 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
Jan 3-11, 2014 - FW Popup camping Surprise BDay Trip for son
Oct 25-Nov 7, 2015 - Fort Wilderness Family Trip
OnlyDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 45,006

DCL just posted a message about not using the Command type hooks because they have caused damage to their finishes. They require magnet only.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
OnlyDisney
DIS Veteran
 
OnlyDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
DCL just posted a message about not using the Command type hooks because they have caused damage to their finishes. They require magnet only.
Thanks!

Now I'm off to see if there are any threads on how to decorate the inside of the room. All I've thought of so far is since we're driving down to bring one of those small things to blow up balloons.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 6 , DD 5 DN 11 DN 10
Nov/Dec 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
Jan 3-11, 2014 - FW Popup camping Surprise BDay Trip for son
Oct 25-Nov 7, 2015 - Fort Wilderness Family Trip
OnlyDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.