Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
allisont
Earning My Ears

All Star Movies Resort

My kids and I are going to WDW in August staying at the All Star Movies resort. For those who have stayed there can you give me the pro and cons of the resort. We've been to WDW many times we usually stay in a Moderate or Deluxe resort but thought we would try the All Star Movies resort.
allisont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
lovedonald
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at movies twice. Our family loved it there. The toy story section is our personal favorite! The only thing we didn't like was that movies was the last pick up on the bus stop when the buses were shared. It is a fun resort with a great food court and nice pools.
lovedonald is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
magicbob
DIS Veteran

We had a great time when we stayed at ASMo. You will certainly notice some difference in the value resort compared to moderate or deluxe. But ASMo is a fun resort. Nice pools, nice theming, and clean (recently refurbed) rooms. As long as you don't go in with too high of an expectation in terms of room size and some other amenities (fridge, microwave, etc.) that you get at the mods or deluxe resorts, you'll have a great time!

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
We had a great time when we stayed at ASMo. You will certainly notice some difference in the value resort compared to moderate or deluxe. But ASMo is a fun resort. Nice pools, nice theming, and clean (recently refurbed) rooms. As long as you don't go in with too high of an expectation in terms of room size and some other amenities (fridge, microwave, etc.) that you get at the mods or deluxe resorts, you'll have a great time!
Actually, they do have fridges now (we stayed there last May after the refurb and all rooms had fridges), which I really enjoy (sooo much food on the dining plan!)

We enjoyed our stay last year. We used to stay at the Poly, but that's not in the budget anymore. Definately not the same experience as a Deluxe, but for the money you can't beat it. MOST of the time the busses were not a problem. Twice during our stay we had miserably long waits for a bus but the rest of the time it was no problem. We were shocked at how short the walk was to our Standard room (Love Bug section). So much better than walking around AKL, IMO.

Had decided to stay here again on our next trip but I'm considering trying out the Pop next time for a similar, but slightly different experience. I'm curious to find out why the Pop has such a strong following. But I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Movies again, either.

shyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisont View Post
My kids and I are going to WDW in August staying at the All Star Movies resort. For those who have stayed there can you give me the pro and cons of the resort. We've been to WDW many times we usually stay in a Moderate or Deluxe resort but thought we would try the All Star Movies resort.
I can't think of a con. It is nice and small. The theme is great. I really like the food court and gift shop. The pool is nice and the toddler pool is good. They have a nice playground.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

The best All star resort

We have stayed at AS Movies 3 times. It was the first one we stayed at and loved it. We switched to Pop as a change but even went back to AS Movies after a few years. I love AS movies. It is truly the best of the AS. The ambiance is great. The resort is very clean and relatively quiet compared to the other values. I think for kids, it is a great option as the decor is germaine to them (unlike Music).

If I am not mistaken, the bus system shared a bit with the other resorts and that can be a bit frustrating. We ultimately ended up driving ourselves as it seems to be quicker than riding the bus to the AS resorts. Additionally the lines are very long for the value resorts and the buses running seem tobe few and far between.

It truly is our favorite of the values (and that is all we have stayed in) . We ourselves are going to be staying at a moderate (POFQ) for the first time and are looking forward to seeing a difference in the two level resorts but our thought has always been, if you aren't spending a lot of downtime and only use your room to sleep for the most part, then value is the way to go! There won't be someone welcoming you to the resort at the door nor putting a lei around your neck but it suits an active family. Enjoy

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
pinkvol7
Mouseketeer

We stayed at ASMo and my kids loved it. We had a preferred room in the Toy Story building. Our room was on the second floor and faced some trees. Super quiet and very close to food courts. We left early every morning and were usually the first on the bus. The only complaint I had was leaving the parks. The lines for the All Stars was soooo long and when we got on the bus, they packed us in like sardines. Other than that, we liked it there.
pinkvol7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
allisont
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the positive responses. I've stayed at All Star Music before but that was years ago. I know there is a difference between All Stars and the moderate and deluxes but for the money it was better for us to go with All Stars Movies. I'm looking forward to staying there.
allisont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

We stayed there last Jan and we liked it. We paid for preferred and were in Fantasia but the last room so sorry we paid for preferred. Kids liked the pool and arcade. They have movies every night. Food court was good and never very crowded. We only shared buses with the AS in the middle of the day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: