Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
greendazy5
Earning My Ears

Looking for anyone who has stayed at AOA in the LM rooms

We are planning on going to Disney at Christmas. Yes I realize it is a very busy time of year but really want to go at this time. We are looking to stay at the AOA resort in the LM rooms but are unsure if this will work for our family. Need your opinions on size of room, access to buses, food, would a cot fit in the room comfortably? Etc. please give us the good, bad and the ugly! We want to make sure we are making the right choice for our special trip. Thanks.

Haven't been to Disney since the 90's many things have changed stayed at the CBR that visit.
greendazy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Ali
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the Ursala building in a LM room and when I walked inside I was struck by how small it is. It really was the first thought I had as I walked inside. I don't think you can add a cot because of occupancy rules and the only place to put it would be by the front window/table area and it would probably not fit without squishing something. The improvement over POP was the quieter toilet flushing. I didn't hear much of it and I usually am very bothered by it. The decor is cute.

We were closer to Pop century than AoA and we chose to drive to the lobby area instead of walking because our feet hurt. To get to the lobby you could walk through the themed areas or through parking lots. It was not a fun walk to get a mug refilled so we didn't do it. drink was gone by the time you got back and then you wanted another one.

I think the resort is awesome and we go there frequently for lunch, the arcade, and to look around but I don't have any interest in staying there again. I've stayed almost everywhere on Disney property and I choose to rent DVC points and take what I can get last minute or I pay for POR of POFQ. I am looking at CBR for a trip this summer because we really like that pool area. I admit I am spoiled by DVC studios lately and the extra room there. I can't tell you whether your family would enjoy it. My 12 year old son was not interested in the pool area at all - no slide, little kids all over, juvenile. He didn't want to swim.

I have no information on buses since we always have a car.
Have a good vacation. It's a place you need to go once just to say you were there but if you have older kids you might want to be somewhere more exciting.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
greendazy5
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. Our kids are /will be 15 and 13 at the time. We really wanted to stay at AOA because it was new and colorful and it seemed like the themed rooms would be fun to stay in......but I am concerned about the size of the rooms. We are also looking into the CBR with the pirate beds and decor but thought it lacked that colorful theme and that the Christmas theme there would be lack luster. So confused on where to stay. Rooms have to be able to fit and sleep comfortable a 15 year old son who is 6 ft 1 200 lbs and my husband who is 6 ft and 220. Our daughter is tiny so we were thinking of getting her a cot and letting our son have the bed to himself. Still would like to hear from others who have stayed at other value resorts.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
jacdolfin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendazy5 View Post
Thanks for the info. Our kids are /will be 15 and 13 at the time. We really wanted to stay at AOA because it was new and colorful and it seemed like the themed rooms would be fun to stay in......but I am concerned about the size of the rooms. We are also looking into the CBR with the pirate beds and decor but thought it lacked that colorful theme and that the Christmas theme there would be lack luster. So confused on where to stay. Rooms have to be able to fit and sleep comfortable a 15 year old son who is 6 ft 1 200 lbs and my husband who is 6 ft and 220. Our daughter is tiny so we were thinking of getting her a cot and letting our son have the bed to himself. Still would like to hear from others who have stayed at other value resorts.
I have gone to WDW several times but Oct will be our first trip onsite. I don't have any info on the value rooms per say but we just upgraded from All Star Movies to Port Orleans French Quarter thru AAA for $200. If you have AaA it might save you money to upgrade if you chose. I'm not sure if that is an option for you but they do have queen beds. That is the reason we upgraded we are tall people and wanted to have extra room. Also there are the family suites at AoA and All Star Music. hope you have a great trip.
jacdolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Due to the size of the room, I would guess cots are not permitted due to fire codes. If that's the case, the resort's hands would be tied and you would not be able to get one (unless you brought your own). You could always bring an air mattress and stand it up during the day.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

We prefer the value resort pop and now aoa because of the very efficient buses. I don't like to drive anywhere after I finally arrive and these 2 resorts are the best. We also love the food courts. There is a variety and something everyone will like. Aoa is beautiful and new and you will enjoy walking around. We liked the pools and the pool bar with refillable mug station. The down side is that the room is small and if you plan on staying in the room very much you won't like it. I think it is fine to sleep in. We have brought a camping cot to values but it is a challenge to fit it in. You might just bring a foam mattress and put it on the floor. I would stay in cars if could afford it because of the room, extra beds and it is the neatest section I have ever seen. We try to rent 2 rooms at value now because it is nice to not to try to sleep all squished together and the 2 baths are really helpful. The worst thing about aoa is the extremely long walk from the rooms in the back. Ask for ursula if walking will be a problem for you.

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

We just returned from a stay in a LM room at AoA (building 8).

We wouldn't stay there again, for multiple reasons.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can't put a cot in a value resort room. I can't imagine where you would put one. If you need a bed for an infant under 3 you can ask for a pack and play, but you won't be able to get a cot for a 13 year old.

Yes, you need to ask for connecting rooms, not adjoining rooms. But you should also remember that connecting rooms are not guaranteed, even for families, although they will try their best to get them for you if you request them.

If your kids can't sleep in the same bed and you are looking at two rooms then maybe consider a family suite if you really want to stay at AoA.

I've stayed at AoA/Little Mermaid once. From now on I will stay at Pop Century and just walk across to visit AoA if I am in the mood to see that resort or visit the food court (they had gelato so it'll probably get a visit.) This is not because I didn't like the place. A lot of people complain about the walk to the main building but it didn't bother me. What does bother me is that they charge more to stay there than they do to stay at the other value resorts. It's in demand, so it makes sense for them to do it, but I don't need to pay it.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 04-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
greendazy5
Earning My Ears

Thank everyone for letting me know the difference between adjoining and connecting rooms. What I am hoping for is that they may run a special on the suites so we may upgrade to a suite. They never have specials on LM rooms because they are "value" rooms. This is what I am told. I was also looking at Fort wilderness cabins even though the decor is so opposite of AOA the bed issue would not be a problem and there is a full kitchen which we would love since we are not doing the food plan. But it also seems by photos to be so far away from everything...sometimes I get so confused on what to do ...having to accommodate everyone's needs as wants is exhausting . Since we are going to be there during Christmas checking in on the 22nd hopefully....I want it to be a room that is magical especially for my DD. and she loves all the rooms at AOA. I keep going back and forth..taking a chance on getting 2 connecting LM rooms...going to a suite...which now I hear has a Weight limit on the Murphy beds...or trying the cabins. Have not heard many people comment on the cabins...mostly on POR . Thanks again everyone for all your help it is very appreciated. Back to being confused.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank everyone for letting me know the difference between adjoining and connecting rooms. What I am hoping for is that they may run a special on the suites so we may upgrade to a suite. They never have specials on LM rooms because they are "value" rooms.
Actually it's not about them being "value" rooms, as they run specials on the standard value rooms at Pop and the All-Stars all the time. It's really just about the fact that those rooms sell out right now without discounts. You won't see them added to discount offers until they stop selling out at full price.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are planning on going to Disney at Christmas. Yes I realize it is a very busy time of year but really want to go at this time. We are looking to stay at the AOA resort in the LM rooms but are unsure if this will work for our family. Need your opinions on size of room, access to buses, food, would a cot fit in the room comfortably? Etc. please give us the good, bad and the ugly! We want to make sure we are making the right choice for our special trip. Thanks.

Haven't been to Disney since the 90's many things have changed stayed at the CBR that visit.
There is no room to put a cot. The door just barely clears the bed. The rooms are very small.

If you and your children are adventurous eaters, you'll love the food court. It is a hike to the buses (8-9 mins from our building), but we found the transportation to be great.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Family B
Earning My Ears

Our family of 4 spent one night last fall right after LM opened. It's a colorful and fun resort for one night. I'd say the rooms are on similar in size to POP. They are SMALL. 4 with two smaller kids was a challenge for a week at POP, we just wanted a little more space. There definitely isn't room for a cot. We thought the beds to be pretty comfortable. Values don't have waterslides if this is important to your teens at all.

We would stay again for a night or two, but unlikely for an entire week, we just wanted more space.

The LM rooms are very popular, so you might find a great discount (when they finally release them for Fall) at a MOD that doesn't cost must more. POR will sleep 5 in some rooms, your DD might be more comfortable on the trundle than a cot.
Family B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

We stared at AoA in a little mermaid room in Nov. we have always stayed moderate before. the only way you could get a extra bed in that I could see would be a twin air mattress by the door. It would be a TIGHT fit if it was even possible, and IMO not enough space for 2 adults and 2 teens. It was just us and or 9 year old and it was TIGHT quarters. It is also about a half mile to the bus stop from the LM rooms. We won't stay there again because it was just too cramped for us. I would consider a DVC rental. Lots more space to spread out.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
delilah18
DIS Veteran

We stayed there last September and loved it there I didn't find the walk to bad we were in building 7 facing the lake

I didn't find the room size too small I thought they would be smaller personally lol

I would stay here again
POR RR Oct/Nov 2013
Sheraton Vistana. October 2014

delilah18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
greendazy5
Earning My Ears

Thanks to everyone who took to time to post. still would like to hear from others. Also any helpful hints. I have gotten a few so far by reading a lot of the threads. Any must do rides etc. at the parks? 2of the 4 of us has motion sickness and can't do heights. But don't mind waiting for the other 2 while they ride the rides etc. we have not been since 1991 so lots of changes. One being the AK which we plan on checking out. Since we will be there through Christmas any special Christmas things we should do or see. Thanks again for all of you who posted already...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: