Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

What would you do?

My wheels are turning AGAIN, and need your help/advice since you all are so helpful

I am staying at WDW in Oct for 10 days (Oct 17th-26th) with DH, and 2 boys 3 and 6. It will be my DH, and boys 1st visit to WDW!

We are doing 5 nights at AKL and 4 nights at the Poly.

Originally, we were driving (from Toronto Canada) and leaving on Oct 17th, arriving to WDW on the Sat, 19th (we were taking our time). I found an awesome deal on flights, so we decided to fly, and I convinced my DH to fly out on the Fri (18th) instead of the Sat (19th), so we would have more "Disney time" he agreed.

Then, a week later, I begged the DH to fly into Orlando on the 17th (Thurs) so we would have almost a full day on the 17th (we would arrive at 10am) and even more "Disney time" This meant an extra cost of 2 nights at AKL, but we were fine with that, so now we are 10 days instead of 8 days..exciting!!

On the 26th (Sat-check out day) we are spending another week on the beach in Treasure Island, so we are renting a car now cause we are no longer driving. We would fly home on Sat, Nov 2nd.

So, to get to my question..now, of course, I'm trying to squeeze yet another day out of our vacation, and stay in Disney the Sat night (26th) at the Poly, so that would make it 10 nights total instead of 9 nights, and then check out Sun (27th) and drive to Treasure Island. Then..I would pay for an extra night as well at the condo, and stay till Sun, Nov 3rd, so we get the full week on the beach.

Do you think I'm crazy for wanting to spend the extra $$ to stay 1 extra night in Disney at the Poly or do you think we should just check out the 26th, spend the day at MK and drive to Treasure Island late at night on the Sat?

I'm still planning on extending my stay at the beach condo till Sunday regardless, but the Poly is $500 for the Sat night. Chances of discount are high, so would be around $350..is it worth it? Am I crazy? Should I just leave things as is?? I wish I could just shut down the brain sometimes!! Lol

Thanks in advance!! (Sorry for such a long message)
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

It depends on many factors. Can you really afford it? Do you feel you need the extra day? Will your husband agree to your add-on-itis?

I don't think its crazy to add a day, we do it every trip. I can't tell you what is right for your family. You know the answer .
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
It depends on many factors. Can you really afford it? Do you feel you need the extra day? Will your husband agree to your add-on-itis?

I don't think its crazy to add a day, we do it every trip. I can't tell you what is right for your family. You know the answer .
That's just the thing..I really am stuck!

My DH at this point just does whatever I plan..lol..

The biggest reason I was thinking of staying the Sat night was for a few reasons..a) the thought of driving to Treasure Island (appx 1.5hr drive) at midnight didn't sound too exciting, and b) we get a bit more time at Disney to do whatever we wanted. I was going to leave Sat as the "do whatever the kids want" kid of day, and I'm assuming they would want to hit MK, but who knows? Then we would check out Sun morning, maybe swim a bit, and then drive to Treasure Island in the early afternoon in the day light.

Thanks for you input
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

If the extra cost is doable, I'd add the night and enjoy the Poly for another day . Of course it's an easy decision for me as we LOVE the Poly (it's our favorite resort), so I wouldn't need any convincing to stay longer .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
If the extra cost is doable, I'd add the night and enjoy the Poly for another day . Of course it's an easy decision for me as we LOVE the Poly (it's our favorite resort), so I wouldn't need any convincing to stay longer .
Haha, thanks!!

I guess cause I've never stayed on property before, and this is the 1st Disney trip I've planned for my family, I'm having a very hard time making decisions.

The Poly does look amazing, and so fun!! Any other time I would think I was nuts willing to pay $500 a night at a resort, but being Disney, its like I'm a different person..lol

If we did stay the extra night (which would end up being 3 in total that I stretched..hehe) we would probably leave Disney around 1pm or 2 to get to our next destination.

I would have to move the rental from pick up the Sat to the Sun instead, and I need to move my flight from the Sat to the Sun as well.

The things we are willing to do for 1 more night..haha
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
AstroDad
Earning My Ears

I think you should check out of the Poly on the 26th because I arrive at 6pm and I am pretty sure you will be in my room.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
I think you should check out of the Poly on the 26th because I arrive at 6pm and I am pretty sure you will be in my room.
Bahahahaha!!! Oh you made me burst out laughing!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

Are you flying out of Canada? Asking because I am flying to Toronto oct.17th then changing airlines from AC to get a better deal I hope! Trying to knock down my right now $4500 flights.curious if your flying out of Canada who the good deal is with thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJean View Post
Are you flying out of Canada? Asking because I am flying to Toronto oct.17th then changing airlines from AC to get a better deal I hope! Trying to knock down my right now $4500 flights.curious if your flying out of Canada who the good deal is with thanks
WOW!!! That's a hefty price for flights. We paid $3300 last year flying out of Toronto to Vancouver.

I do live in Canada- Toronto area, but we are flying out of Buffalo with Southwest Airlines. Flying out of Buffalo is almost always cheaper. I got 4 flights for $899.20 return, amazing price

Hope this helps!!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I think you're asking the wrong bunch of people to walk you off the ledge
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
The Poly does look amazing, and so fun!! Any other time I would think I was nuts willing to pay $500 a night at a resort, but being Disney, its like I'm a different person..lol

If we did stay the extra night (which would end up being 3 in total that I stretched..hehe) we would probably leave Disney around 1pm or 2 to get to our next destination.

I would have to move the rental from pick up the Sat to the Sun instead, and I need to move my flight from the Sat to the Sun as well.

The things we are willing to do for 1 more night..haha
The Poly is definitely an amazing resort and we love it . There's always a reason to add another night or book a certain resort when it comes to Disney .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
mara61
Mouseketeer

Well, I'm in agreement stay longer if you can swing it! Did you by chance make sure that the portion of your stay that you are getting the dining plan is actually a good value for you? Because if you didn't look at the menus, run the costs and truly see. Perhaps you could save some $ there and that would offset the room cost Gotta love Disney math

We did the Dining plan in 2011 and while free (we stayed at POFQ) I did bump my then 8 year old up to adult (he has a mature palette and large appetite, lol). Last year we paid out of pocket because it actually was a bit cheaper (I did have a Tables in Wonderland card but it really just covered the tip) It's going to be close this year even though I was going to cut back on TS (HA HA HA, not sure who I was kidding, we have one each day still). Either way it should be c. $150 cheaper for us NOT to do the dining plan. Plus I've been buying up Disney gift cards for our food and beverage budget.
mara61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I'm going to be in the minority and say that I would not add an extra $500 to my trip to stay another day. We get tired of being in hotels, tired of eating at restaurants and tired of Disney after a week. I would go off to the condo and enjoy the beach.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara61 View Post
Well, I'm in agreement stay longer if you can swing it! Did you by chance make sure that the portion of your stay that you are getting the dining plan is actually a good value for you? Because if you didn't look at the menus, run the costs and truly see. Perhaps you could save some $ there and that would offset the room cost Gotta love Disney math

We did the Dining plan in 2011 and while free (we stayed at POFQ) I did bump my then 8 year old up to adult (he has a mature palette and large appetite, lol). Last year we paid out of pocket because it actually was a bit cheaper (I did have a Tables in Wonderland card but it really just covered the tip) It's going to be close this year even though I was going to cut back on TS (HA HA HA, not sure who I was kidding, we have one each day still). Either way it should be c. $150 cheaper for us NOT to do the dining plan. Plus I've been buying up Disney gift cards for our food and beverage budget.
I appreciate your feedback!

I have ran the #'s I would say 30+ times, and the Dining plan does work best for us in the first 5 nights due to the many TS (Character Meals) I have planned. I have 1 every day, and some days 2, but a few we are paing OOP like T-Rex and Sci-Fi, and then our 4 nights at the Poly I have 2 that we are paying OOP for as well.

We were originally doing 4 nights AKL and 5 nights Poly, but I trimmed it down a bit, and switched to 5 nights AKL/4 nights Poly. My kids love animals, so win win. I also had the dining plan the 4 nights at the Poly, but then that meant I had to buy a 1 day ticket which ran even more $$ and after running numbers, I saved hundreds of dollars by paying OOP for the Poly duration, and eliminating the 1 day ticket, and adding an extra day on our ticket package in the first portion of the stay.

When I statred planning this trip (many months ago) I never thought it would be so hard, but at the same time, so fun!!!!

Thanks for your help
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
The Poly is definitely an amazing resort and we love it . There's always a reason to add another night or book a certain resort when it comes to Disney .

Thanks again!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: