Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Ahenderson070911
Earning My Ears

Dining plan question

We are a family of 6 me, my husband, and four kids (ages 6, 4, 2 and 2) we currently just have the Disney dining plan (1 ts, 1 cs and 1 snack) I have been thinking about upgrading it to the deluxe dining plan but wondering if it is worth the extra $800 for the 9 days we will be there. My kids can eat so I know it won't be to much food. How exactly do the deluxe plan work?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

The deluxe gives you three table service meals a day and two snacks. We love it! We are just two adults and we like to have the sit down lunch in the a/c since we go in the summer. We love breakfast and characters too, so we usually hit most of the character breakfasts.

There are many who think that it's too much food, but if it really only goes up $800 for the time of your trip for a family of six, well, that sounds like a bargain to me.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
gilby
DIS Veteran

We have always done the 1 qs, snack and one table service and it is actually too much food. We usually have quite a few snacks left at the end of our stay.
2008 Pop-Century
2010 Pop-century
2011 Pop-Century
2012 POR
2013 POR
2014 pop century
2014 Pop century
gilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

It really depends on what kind of restaurants you are going to eat at. If you are doing a lot of signatures then it's worth it. But if you are planning on doing 3 one credits a day, then it really is too much food.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilby View Post
We have always done the 1 qs, snack and one table service and it is actually too much food. We usually have quite a few snacks left at the end of our stay.
You can always use your snacks for bottles of water. It makes it easy to stay hydrated if you use them that way.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Do the math to confirm whether it is a savings for you. My kids are young, but the DXDP always works out for us and saves us money. We don't do signatures (aside from CRT), but we do lots of character meals. We'll eat a TS breakfast, QS lunch, and TS dinner. It's a lot of food for one sitting, but we don't feel the need to lick our plates clean or anything... aside from that we eat 3x a day anyway so it's fine. I've never really understood the 'too much food' thing personally. We use about half our snacks and then cash them all in for treats to take home.

We did have the SPD special earlier this year. Receipt to cost comparison (not even including the 45 snacks we used!) came out to about $700 in savings. We cancelled a TS due to illness which would have made it a greater savings. Comparing to the full price DXDP it was about $100 less to go OOP but after I throw in all the snacks it still would have saved us a bit of money. Combined with the convenience, it's a no brainer for us.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it CAN absolutely save you money or be the convenience you're looking for. As long as you know what's what going into it and you've done the math, I'd say go for it.

That dining plan calculator came out crazy inaccurate for me. I prefer to use the old fashion pen and paper method.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilby View Post
. We usually have quite a few snacks left at the end of our stay.
Perhaps a waste of money to be on the Plan if you are paying for it?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Ahenderson070911
Earning My Ears

Can you not use the credits at the counter service meals too? I thought you could mix the credits up? Or did I read it wrong.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
scdak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahenderson070911 View Post
Can you not use the credits at the counter service meals too? I thought you could mix the credits up? Or did I read it wrong.
You did not read it wrong, its 3 meal credits per person per day, how you choose to use them is up to you. I have read on the Dis that deluxe is a value only if 2/3 of your meals are table service credits.

It is a lot of food, it is a lot of table service meals if your goal is to maximize the benefits of the deluxe plan which equates into a lot of travel time to the meals and the actual time for meals (think 1 hour min for buffets, 1 1/2 hours min for other table service meals) but that could be fine with you, esp if it allows your kids to rest a little/recharge etc but if they don't do well at long meals now, or all they care about is time in the parks, they might not be happy with so many TS meals.

I did the deluxe plan last fall (2 pooh sized folks) because I was able to have free dining, so upgrading to Deluxe for 10 days for around $600 was a no brainer for me. We were able to enjoy alot of TS locations that we have never been to esp many of the resort locations, but I will say that we were overwhelmed with too much food, and had a huge number of snack credits left at the end, and so many snacks we wanted to try but when we thought about putting another morsel of food in our mouths we literally felt sick! We planned meals to have time between meals (7-7:30 am breakfast, 1-2pm lunches, 7-8pm dinners) so we could think about snacks but there was simply no way we could eat any more than we did.

So after we evaluated our eating habits for the trip, we came to the conclusion that the regular plan and/or paying OOP would work better for us next time so we can enjoy all the great snacks that Dis'ers rave about here.

Keep in mind that the deluxe plan includes appetizers with every meal plus entree and dessert, things I would consider in your case is do you eat that way at home? Will you be upset if you choose not to get an app or dessert with every meal thinking you are "wasting your money spent". Now that being said, the kids apps and desserts seem to be very basic and small portions (yes, I resort to some kid apps at times if there isnt something I like but don't want to sit there not eating when my friend is enjoying her adult appetizer).

Are you planning on many character meals? That is not a great value as far as the dining plan based on posts I have read but for me they were great fun and we did many of them on our trip!

I am sure you will be given answers to your question referring you to read the menus on Allears.net and add up the costs to see if your dining plans will be better suited to the deluxe vs regular dining plan, and I will say that was a huge help to me, plus it made me excited to see what I would want to eat at a meal 6 months away, and I rarely changed my mind
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family
scdak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahenderson070911 View Post
We are a family of 6 me, my husband, and four kids (ages 6, 4, 2 and 2) we currently just have the Disney dining plan (1 ts, 1 cs and 1 snack) I have been thinking about upgrading it to the deluxe dining plan but wondering if it is worth the extra $800 for the 9 days we will be there. My kids can eat so I know it won't be to much food. How exactly do the deluxe plan work?
You will get varying opinions on this, but we love the DlxDDP. We've had both the regular DDP (1 TS, 1 CS, 1 snack) as well as the deluxe plan and we like them both. On the deluxe plan, however, we tend to do more signature restaurants, while sticking with the 1 TS restaurants when on the regular DDP. As the pp mentioned, some people think the deluxe plan is too much food, but we thought it was great for our family of 4 with 2 older teen boys.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

I've got better advice. Don't get ANY dining plan. You're probably going to spend more, especially with the deluxe one.

Don't take my word for it. Just download the dining plan calculator. Plug in where you're planning to eat and it will calculate everything for you. You can compare the (lack of) savings in each plan.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
jpessa
Addicted to Disney

Don't forget that neither of your 2 year olds qualify for the dining plan. Therefore having too much food might be good for you so they can eat for free. (when I went with my 2 year old in November we were on the dining plan and had to buy her most of her food separately except for buffets)The dining plan calculator the PP posted will tell you exactly what is the best value for your family.
jpessa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
lovedworld
Mouseketeer

I don't think paying for the dining plan is worth it. It you were getting it free that would be a different story, but paying for it out right just doesn't make sense to me. I have never had the deluxe plan, but think it would be way to much food and way to much time eating, especially with small children. You have to calculate it out and decide if it is right for you.
lovedworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

You can use the three meal credits for TS or CS, but you're really not going to get your money's worth if you don't use it for TS most of the time. My husband and I are planning on using the deluxe plan. I actually did use a dining calculator, and found that with the places we were planning to eat at, we would save money using the plan. About half of the ADRs we are planning on will be at Signatures, and we're probably going to be doing two TS meals a day as opposed to 3 on most days. Neither of us are big on breakfast, and we'll probably just use snack credits or pay OOP for that at the resort before we go to the parks.

Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I think in your case the Deluxe dining plan might work better for your family because everybody gets an app, entree and dessert. SO with all that added food you will have plenty to share with your 2 toddlers.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: