Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
skeletor40
Don't you know? Cartoon villains walk this world!

Tony's Restaurant

Hello everyone. Going down to Disney for my annual trip. Going in less than a month and I'm excited as always to be in my favorite place. Finally booked a reservation at Tony's restaurant. Read some bad reviews but I have to try it once to see for myself.

Any tips on making it a pleasant experience? Any menu item worth ordering? Thanks in advance,
skeletor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

As long as you stay away from their tomato sauce, there's a slight chance you might not hate your meal. Lol. Their tomato/marinara sauce is awful. Most people who hated their food had a dish with that sauce. Everyone who liked it had other things like steak, calamari etc. Good luck.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4U View Post
As long as you stay away from their tomato sauce, there's a slight chance you might not hate your meal. Lol. Their tomato/marinara sauce is awful. Most people who hated their food had a dish with that sauce. Everyone who liked it had other things like steak, calamari etc. Good luck.

Just go in with low expectations, then there is room to be amazed. It became a comedy sketch when we went there...server took 20 minutes to take our drink order, we were not willing to chance another delay so had our order ready..this annoyed our server he was not slammed many empty tables..the kids meals came out 10 minutes before ours, their meatball was so hard and impossible to chew..we just let it go thinking they could fill up on bread, that came out later and was hard as a brick. We all began to laugh wondering how they could mess up my steak (medium rare)...when it came an additional 10 minutes after my husband's cold pasta, we had to contain our flabbergasteries! The steak was burned so badly you could not cut it, the server never asked how the food was but we complained about the steak, he acted put out..kids were so hungry and tired of waiting we said we would take itto go...never came so we left and first time ever no tip...both husband and I were servers in the past and never would leave no tipping, it was awful.

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Any advise on getting porch seating to watch the parade?

Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Tried dinner an lunch & we liked lunch much better! There panini is amazing!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Nohal
DIS Veteran

We've eaten there every year for the last 3 years. We go for dinner and get the chicken parm. I don't think it was the best dinner we ever had at disney, but I also don't think it was the worse. I think you will get good and bad reviews on every restaurant. Since you have never eaten there go and enjoy.
Nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
SuzieN
DIS Veteran

I liked Tony's. Not sure why it gets bad reviews. I had the chicken parm, house salad (yum!), and pistachio creme brulee when I went and enjoyed everything.
SuzieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
MarkF0wle
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

I've eaten at Tony's twice, once having the meatballs & the other having the steak. I fall into the "no sauce" advice here. The meatballs I did not like but I thought the steak was lovely.

In fact of all my dining party anyone who ordered an Italian meal went away disappointed & anybody who had steak or something more generic was satisfied.

As somebody said every restaurant here will have it's supporters & haters. We ate here as there was nowhere else in MK to eat for us, with BoG opening up I am able to say we've ditched Tony's for that.

Disney's All-Star Sports/Disney Dream/Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - April 2015
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - May 2014 | Disney's Old Key West Resort - May 2013
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - May 2012 | Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa - May 2011, August 2010, August 2008 | Bahama Bay Resort - August 2006
Resident's Inn - August 2002 | Double Tree Resort - August 2004, August 2001, August 1999, August 1997 | Fantasy Villas - August 1996, August 1993, April 1991
MarkF0wle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

We are also in the "no sauce" camp. I prefer Tony's for lunch, agree the paninis are decent. We have had a few so-so meals, but I do love the restaurant so we are going to go back in August. May just go for appetizers and dessert. Love the zucchini fries and pistacio creme brulee!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Tried dinner an lunch & we liked lunch much better! There panini is amazing!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013
Agree...only have had the panini but it was amazing!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Just go in with low expectations, then there is room to be amazed. It became a comedy sketch when we went there...server took 20 minutes to take our drink order, we were not willing to chance another delay so had our order ready..this annoyed our server he was not slammed many empty tables..the kids meals came out 10 minutes before ours, their meatball was so hard and impossible to chew..we just let it go thinking they could fill up on bread, that came out later and was hard as a brick. We all began to laugh wondering how they could mess up my steak (medium rare)...when it came an additional 10 minutes after my husband's cold pasta, we had to contain our flabbergasteries! The steak was burned so badly you could not cut it, the server never asked how the food was but we complained about the steak, he acted put out..kids were so hungry and tired of waiting we said we would take itto go...never came so we left and first time ever no tip...both husband and I were servers in the past and never would leave no tipping, it was awful.
Wow. Awful experience you had!
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
M2B
Mouseketeer

We were there last week and enjoyed our meals. The only issue we had was confusion in the reservation time, but that confusion was on both their part and mine. I had spaghetti, and liked it. DS had the pizza, dh had panini. Service was quick. We would go back and didn't understand the bad reviews. I figure we went on a good day.

For Italian though, there is a little place in Epcot that we enjoyed far more. I went to Tony's because it's Tony's.
M2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
cbeeindisney
DIS Veteran

Before we went in August, I read many, MANY bad reviews of Tony's and I was just like you, I had to try it for myself. We were happy with our meals, Chicken Parm and Spaghetti and Meatballs, and the pistachio creme brulee was very good! We went earlier than our reservation had specified and were seated right away, the server noticed that we were just engaged and she brought out a piece of spaghetti to re-enact the scene from Lady and the Tramp at Tony's and took a picture for us. Great service and good food, but we probably won't go there again though, just because we would like to try new places. It's nice to try at least once!

ME (28) DF (29)
cbeeindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
kashzan
Earning My Ears

Tried Tony's a few times, and definately not a fan.
kashzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Ate at Tony;s when we were there mid March. MK was slammed that day. We were "winging it" and paying OOP. (usually we do DDP). Anyway, we decided to eat in the park and not to take the time to go to Contemporary or something because we had Space FPs coming due. (BTW - FP enforcement really interfered with attempts to wing it).

We decided we really wanted Table Service so we went to Tony's as the most likely place to get a seat. (I'd been trying to make a ressie earlier in the day using the Disney app and wifi refused to work)

They told us a 1-1.5 hr wait. DH really wanted a TS meal so we sat and waited. I asked about coming back in a half hr but the waitress said we might get called sooner and not to leave. So we sat. It was OK - they had Lady and the Tramp playing as well a guy showing the kids how to toss a pizza.

We eventually made it in. The kids re-created the sphagetti scene (from a distance) and then made DH and I do the real thing. So we got some fun pics. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Can't remember what we ate though. I know my son had sphagetti. It wasn't amazing - but solidly good and we were happy we made the effort to eat there. It hit the spot for us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: