Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
petbren
DIS Veteran

First Cruise--Gluten Free Me-Fantasy Eastern Mar.9-16

BACKGROUND

Our cast of characters includes

Me-40 something who has been Gluten Free for a year and a half
DH-age withheld at his request
DS-turned 17 4 days before cruise
DD-to turn 15 a month after cruise

We purchased DVC in 2009 with a gift my DM left us when she departed this earth. She loved all things Disney and we thought it fitting that we would take some "remember Grandma" time when we visited without her.

January, 2012, DH, man who has always proclaimed his dislike for sitting around on the beach, out of the blue says "I think next winter we should look at going away somewhere warm, an Island vacation somewhere"

What.......who are you??

I drop everything and immediately start looking at where we should go.
With my GF issues, I knew going to an Island, and eating at an all inclusive buffet, or where there was a language barrier, or where people just don't understand that gluten is in things other than bread, just wasn't an option for me.
We had not been to Disney since my diagnosis, but I knew I had read about them accommodating food allergies. I started researching, and figured a Disney Cruise would meet my/our needs.

By mid-February we had booked a Cat. 4C family Oceanview with verandah

Having DVC, I often planned 11 months out, but this was even longer.........
but finally the day arrived
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
petbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
petbren
DIS Veteran

March 8th finally arrives!!

We live in Hamilton, Ontario, so 130km to Buffalo Airport, or 74km to Toronto Airport. Drive time however, 1hr 20 mins (+ boarder crossing) to Buffalo.....45 mins (technically) to Toronto. In reality, Toronto would be more like 1-2 hours depending of traffic, much more $$ to park and much higher flight costs.
We love SW airlines, and the Buffalo Airport

Our biggest worry was getting to the airport on time as DH worked in downtown TO until 7:30am, and our flight left BUF at 11:30.
DH called in some favours, and managed to get done an hour early, so we arrived and checked in at airport by 10:20
Flight left on time, we arrived 20 minutes ahead of schedule

Next, ME

We were the second stop........then Welcome Home

We didn't arrive at night, but the sign says it all.

We checked in at 4:10 and our room was ready.

We had reserved a Boardwalk View Deluxe studio for the one night.
This was our first time with a Boardwalk View as I usually just reserve what will be the least points, but with only one night, I spent the extra whole 2 points
We had room 3031--excellent views.....worth the 2 extra points.

For the Yacht Club Fans

Beach Club Fans

Boardwalk Fans

Scary Clown Pool Fans

We decided to freshen up and head over to Beaches and Cream for an early dinner. I knew they could do a GF hamburger and fries (baked not fried) so I was really looking forward to that..so much so that I had eaten half of it before I remembered to take a picture

Kids were too full for ice cream, but we promised to come back after our traditional round of mini-golf at Fantasia for take out.

Didn't think we'd have room for one of these..........don't know these people but they must really like ice cream, they ordered two "Kitchen Sinks" for 6 adults

Up next...more of our Boardwalk adventures, then finally off to The Fantasy
AKV-KIDANI 2014 Fantasy E.Carib.20132011 HHI 2011 BWV 2009 BCV/OKW for F&W Festival, 2008 AKV,2007 1st trip home BWV 2006 Pop Century 2004 Polynesian 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort 1982 Off Site 1977 Off Site
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
1GoofyDad
Earning My Ears

We just returned from our 5 night Disney Wonder cruise out of Miami over the Easter Weekend. I too am GF for about a year now and knew that Disney had a great reputation for food allergies.
We spent a couple of days at BLT. First dinner at Ohana (the chef came out and spoke to me, prepared a separate set of vegetables, wings, etc, and the waitress knew which meats I could and could not eat). Only complaint was the GF bread/buns were dry but okay. Second dinner was a IlMulino at the Swan (easy, as they had seafood risotto).

Then onto the CRUISE!!! Each meal had numerous options, even for me. On the first night, the head server and waitress both spoke to me about my restrictions. The plan was for each night to show me the menu for the next night and they would specially prepare my selection GF!!! They could make about 75% of the menu. Excellent! Same complaint as above - the bread was dry and tasteless...same shape as Ohana, but Ohana's tasted better. GF waffles were okay at best, GF pancakes need serious work (try Hodgkin's Mill or some other box would be much better). No GF cereal available.
I'd go back again in a heartbeat...in fact we booked 2014 while on board!

Chris
Gold Castaway Club
DVC Member - OKW
1GoofyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to the rest of your review!
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
lucy0558
Mouseketeer

Great start to your report!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy0558 View Post
Great start to your report!
Thanks everyone for reading along.
I was starting to think I was all alone out here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
Looking forward to the rest of your review!
Thanks........hope to add more tomorrow, have to do my weekly run into TO with my daughter for an event she does every Sat. afternoon--oh the things we do for our kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GoofyDad View Post
We just returned from our 5 night Disney Wonder cruise out of Miami over the Easter Weekend. I too am GF for about a year now.

Same complaint as above - the bread was dry and tasteless...same shape as Ohana, but Ohana's tasted better. GF waffles were okay at best, GF pancakes need serious work (try Hodgkin's Mill or some other box would be much better). No GF cereal available.
I'd go back again in a heartbeat...in fact we booked 2014 while on board!
Glad you had a good experience too.
The dinner rolls were just awful on the cruise.
I tried to eat them with lots of butter and the spread of the day if it was OK for me. By the fourth night, I just couldn't eat them any more. I felt bad as the servers thought they were doing such a great thing for me.
I was looking forward to our dinner at Palo, which was very good, but the same GOD AWFUL BUNS............seriously
More on the fantastic meal at Palo later.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your report. We are doing our first cruise next March and plan on doing one DVC night before too. Happy to hear how much you got done! I still don't know how to quote from my phone - but did you say for $149 you get a CD with just your favorite 10 pictures? OUCH

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkpark View Post
Enjoying your report. We are doing our first cruise next March and plan on doing one DVC night before too. Happy to hear how much you got done! I still don't know how to quote from my phone - but did you say for $149 you get a CD with just your favorite 10 pictures? OUCH
Yes, you read that right. The prices went 10 for $149, 20 for $249,$349 for CD with all images, and $399 for CD and all the prints they had printed for you. You find these in your personal booklet.
We weren't going to get the CD, but went for the smallest package and are happy with it. We also bought a cute frame/booklet with the characters with signatures on the front that opens up. Inside there is a photo of The Fantasy, and a spot for your own 8X10. I think it was an extra $14.95. I will try to post a photo of it later.
When DH went to pick up the CD he said there was a woman in front of him whose photo bill was almost $1000

BTW...I just booked our next DVC trip for March 2014 tonight
I tried to talk DH into August this year but he said "NO MORE BIG TICKET TRIPS THIS YEAR`` Party pooper
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
ChrisParker
Mouseketeer

Oh. Em. Gee. Just saw that your avatar is Dexter!

We have just BOOKED August 9, 2014. Wa-HOOOO!

I just read the prices here for the pics. Sometimes when I see things like that I picture telling my father. I think he would have a coronary at that one but I'm actually thinking that my onboard credit from DU will cover it nicely.

Keep it coming!

Follow us to the Fantasy Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099534
ChrisParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParker View Post
Oh. Em. Gee. Just saw that your avatar is Dexter!

We have just BOOKED August 9, 2014. Wa-HOOOO!

I just read the prices here for the pics. Sometimes when I see things like that I picture telling my father. I think he would have a coronary at that one but I'm actually thinking that my onboard credit from DU will cover it nicely.

Keep it coming!
Yea, even serial killers love Mickey
So, you booked Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean for August?
I guess if you think of the Photo CD as 14.99/photo, it doesn't sound so bad
Do you know how many ways I had that onboard credit spent in my mind ? "Oh the onboard credit will pay for the excursion, the credit will pay for the photos, the mixology class, the drink tab etc., etc,etc.............
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
petbren
DIS Veteran

What the heck is a split bath??

Just a couple notes about the room.

We had a Cat. 4C Family Oceanview with verandah-room #7594.

This room slept 4--Queen bed, pull out sofa and pulldown.

You walk in the room, on the left is a block of closets, you safe is in here. There was quite a bit of room here. The lifejackets take up one top section.
On the left, there is your room card activated light switch. We got around doing this by inserting our CAA card, and leaving it there for the duration.
Next, there are two doors--the "split bath".
I read about some room having, and not having a split bath, but in reality, I had no idea what that meant.
The first door has the toilet, counter and sink, and the second door has the round tub, counter and sink.
Now I know what this is, it's a great idea. Especially with 4 people, 2 could be doing some things at the same time.
The tub was great with the 3 different shower head options, and a place you could sit too.
The queen bed was really comfortable, and I am quite picky about mattresses
DD claimed the pulldown for the duration. I don't think DS would have fit too well.
Our basket from DU had an extension cord, and I had brought one too.
You really do need it, we found as we could plug in the laptop, and various gadget chargers.
The fridge was nice to have. We brought 2 bottles of wine, a wine cooler and a case of diet coke, and a few bottles of water in our carry on, and it all fit in the fridge.
We loved the verandah, and would not cruise without it.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

What a lovely family you have! Enjoying your trip report. Thank you for posting it.
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Mrs Green
Mouseketeer

I'm following. We are on the eastern in February so I'm looking forward to hearing all the details.
Mrs Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
petbren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
What a lovely family you have! Enjoying your trip report. Thank you for posting it.
Thanks for the nice comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Green View Post
I'm following. We are on the eastern in February so I'm looking forward to hearing all the details.
I am glad you're following. I spent many hours on the boards scoping out all the fact. Planning is a huge part of looking forward to your trip.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
petbren
DIS Veteran

Lincoln

First, let me say, we are huge history buffs. We especially love American History.
Proof:
Last summer, for DH's 50th birthday we went to Gettysburg, and Washington D.C.
On DD's school trip for grade 8, they went to Ottawa (capital of Canada, and approx. 6 hours from home). Her main complaint about the trip was that they didn't give her enough time in the museums to read all the information and facts.
DS was upset that there wasn't enough enrollment for is grade 11 American History class, and they cancelled it

So, when we found out that Lincoln was still playing on the ship, we knew we had to fit it in somewhere.

Here's a little tidbit I learned from my obsessive planning--you can get a list of movies that will be playing on your cruise by calling 1-888-325-2500 2 weeks before your sail date.

Needless to say, we loved the movie. The Beuna Vista Theater is so comfortable, but a bit weird to be watching a movie and feeling the ship move

By the time the movie was finished, it was time for lunch

We went up to Cabanas, and this time I asked to speak to the chef.
It was the same lovely chef from England (sorry, don't remember his name), who had helped me earlier at EG.
He walked me through the main items on the buffet, and confirmed I could eat the sushi, but no soya sauce. I wish they could get a bottle or two of the GF Tamari sauce as sushi without it was kinda strange.
He prepared me this, in the kitchen and brought it out to me.

The thought was nice, but the pasta was not really cooked--not al dante, more like al not done.

After lunch, DD decided she should do Auqaduck, but not by herself
It was still quite windy and cool on deck, and a brief rain shower went through, so I knew there would probably be little wait time.
DH volunteered to go
I generally love waterparks, and slides, we always make time for either TL or BB while in Disney, but I HATE being cold.

If you click on the photo, it will take you to the video link on my photobucket account.

They braved the slide only once that day, even DS was not going.
ccccooolllddd!!!

Up next: Cooking and Drinking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: