Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
disney junky
BWV

A parent complained about this being taught in an 11th grade enriched English class. Not a huge surprise. It happens. Called the superintendent. The book is on the board approved list of novels and has been since the 1980's. The superintendent asked the principal why this is being taught, and today, the principal came down and stood in the middle of four English teachers and asked, "What is this book about?"

Last edited by disney junky; 04-02-2013 at 07:43 PM.
disney junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Not all principals were English majors. I've been in the education field for almost 25 years and have never read it.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Jafar30
Mouseketeer

Man that's a book I haven't read in years
Jafar30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
disney junky
BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
Not all principals were English majors. I've been in the education field for almost 25 years and have never read it.
English major? We are teaching it in high school. That's where I first read it, 38 years ago.
disney junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

And I hope the four English teachers were able to give her an accurate summary of the book and why it is important and useful in a high school English class.

I certainly don't expect every Principal to be totally conversant in the details of every subject matter in the school. Evidently the Principal hasn't read the book. Maybe her high school read 1984 instead. I don't see the big deal.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
And I hope the four English teachers were able to give her an accurate summary of the book and why it is important and useful in a high school English class.

I certainly don't expect every Principal to be totally conversant in the details of every subject matter in the school. Evidently the Principal hasn't read the book. Maybe her high school read 1984 instead. I don't see the big deal.
ITA with this. I don't see this as a big deal on any fronts.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Hmmm..honestly not one we read in AP English back in the day (early 90's).
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

The principal has never heard of google? Why interrupt what the teachers were doing? Also, why didn't the superintendent just look at the curriculum directory to see why it is taught?

Sounds like a pretty lousy school district to me, or it's being run my monkeys...
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
The principal has never heard of google? Why interrupt what the teachers were doing? Also, why didn't the superintendent just look at the curriculum directory to see why it is taught?

Sounds like a pretty lousy school district to me, or it's being run my monkeys...
That is what I thought. I have never read it, never interested me, but I know it is read in most high schools.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 11 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post

That was my first thought too. I can understand not recalling much, if anything, about a book that was required reading in high school. I happened to enjoy Brave New World so I remember it and have re-read it, but ask me about All Quiet on the Western Front and you'll get only the vaguest glimmer of recognition out of me. But why interrupt the teachers' workday to ask about it when the information is so easily accessible from any computer?

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

Read it in my sophomore English class :mumbledymumble: years ago.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
shortbun
Peacenik

It's Aldous Huxley and it's been read since just after the Great Depression. It stimulates great discussions with intelligent students and adults too. It's about a distopian/utopian society. Science fiction. Pretty darn good and very well written.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
blana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney junky View Post
A parent complained about this being taught in an 11th grade enriched English class. Not a huge surprise. It happens. Called the superintendent. The book is on the board approved list of novels and has been since the 1980's. The superintendent asked the principal why this is being taught, and today, the principal came down and stood in the middle of four English teachers and asked, "What is this book about?"
I'm another one who never read it in high school. While his delivery might have been better, my bet was, he wanted to know what the teachers were teaching about the book, as well as "what is this book about". That's NOT as easy to google. Basically, "how do we answer these questions that are coming from the parents?"
Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

I read it in either 9th or 10th grade. I liked it. Most of the class had previously read 1984 so we compared the novels.

The book has had significance for a long time. I liked this book much better that 1984.

In my experience, the principals I have worked with have been out of the classroom for a significant amount of time. In addition, there are committee that determine curriculum as well as the significance of the text. In my experience these committees are run by teachers and/or department heads not principals. Of course minutes of these meetings go to the principal, but they are usually filed away.

The best answer to that is to find out the full parent issue.

Our middle school tends to have questions about Flowers for Algernon almost every year. That book has been taught since the 80's.

Now with Common Core, I see more questions like "Why is my child learning this now and my other children didn't. "
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

She would blow a gasket if she knew my 10th grade dd is doing her semester project on the "Church of Satan" for her "advanced language arts research and presentation" (ALARP) class.

Or frankly most of the topics in that class. The kids topics are very interesting and very creative.

My dd read that book either last yr or this yr., I can't remember.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: