Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Seabean
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 213

Who's disappointed with the GF courtyard pool refurb?

I wanted to start a thread where people could register their disappointment with how the GF refurb'd the courtyard pool. (There's already a few posts expressing this on WDWmagic, which I don't belong to) Here's a link of pics that's already been posted here:
link

OK, don't get me wrong, I get the issues with pool-hoppers, and I get the issues with toddler safety. We've had our own toddlers in that end of that pool and we've held/watched them very carefully (or we took them to the beach pool)

But to me, the GF courtyard pool was something special. It was big, it was in an elegant setting. You could do decent laps from one end the to the other. It was grown up. For the kids, there was the beach pool with the big fake mountain and slide and zero-entry and blaring Hannah Montana music.

The fencing looks tacky. And it's probably going to be annoying to have to walk ALL the way around.

And the zero-entrance is an abomination. They've essentially turned a grown-up pool into a kiddy pool. Half of the pool is now unswimmable. This is really bad.

Who else?
__________________
As Kids: 1974.. 1976.. 1981.. 1986
As Parents: 2006.. 2007.. 2008.. 2009.. 2010.. 2011.. 2012.. 2013.. (2014 soon)
Seabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
I wanted to start a thread where people could register their disappointment with how the GF refurb'd the courtyard pool. (There's already a few posts expressing this on WDWmagic, which I don't belong to) Here's a link of pics that's already been posted here:
link

OK, don't get me wrong, I get the issues with pool-hoppers, and I get the issues with toddler safety. We've had our own toddlers in that end of that pool and we've held/watched them very carefully (or we took them to the beach pool)

But to me, the GF courtyard pool was something special. It was big, it was in an elegant setting. You could do decent laps from one end the to the other. It was grown up. For the kids, there was the beach pool with the big fake mountain and slide and zero-entry and blaring Hannah Montana music.

The fencing looks tacky. And it's probably going to be annoying to have to walk ALL the way around.

And the zero-entrance is an abomination. They've essentially turned a grown-up pool into a kiddy pool. Half of the pool is now unswimmable. This is really bad.

Who else?
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Seabean
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 213

The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
__________________
As Kids: 1974.. 1976.. 1981.. 1986
As Parents: 2006.. 2007.. 2008.. 2009.. 2010.. 2011.. 2012.. 2013.. (2014 soon)
Seabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
Where is your information that states it is for the kids?

Also, where did you see any sort of info that the courtyard pool was for adults only?

It is obvious you don't like the changes they have made to the pool, based on your own feelings that the courtyard pool was for adults only. That was never the case. The pool is still big, and it is still in an elegant setting. The fencing doesn't encircle the whole pool. I'm not sure how putting in a zero entry end makes it less grown up. It seems like you are getting upset over some relatively small changes.
__________________

Last edited by maxiesmom; 04-02-2013 at 07:12 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran
 
Dixiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 802

Never been there so I don't know what the pool was like prior. That said, the pictures look really nice to me.
__________________


Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
germ539
Goofy is my favorite
 
germ539's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Too far from Goofy
Posts: 403

The pool is for everyone

I've never been to this pool but isn't the point of a pool that it is for everyone, no matter if they are young or old. And I think that it is nice that they made it handicapped accessible by having zero entry. So I guess if you want to do laps or have a pool for adults only, you'll need to go elsewhere. After all you are in Disney.
__________________
Many trips - offsite
1995 - Dixie Landings
2007 - Old Key West
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
germ539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
tinkerbellybutton
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbellybutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
Never been there so I don't know what the pool was like prior. That said, the pictures look really nice to me.
My exact thoughts! I don't see anything worth complaining about in those pics. Looks like a very nice pool to me.
__________________
Denise

Up Next:????
Resorts we've stayed in: ASMox3, ASSp., ASMu, PC, CBRx3, CSR, PORx2, POFQ, WLx6, Poly, BC, YC, BWV, AKL(Jambo)x2, AKL (Kidani), SSR, OKW, SOGx2, Swan, Vero Beach!
tinkerbellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-en...swimming_pools

Quote:
Zero-entry swimming poolsA zero-entry swimming pool, also called a beach entry swimming pool, is a swimming pool having an edge or entry that gradually slopes from the deck into the water, becoming deeper with each step, in the manner of a natural beach. As there are no stairs or ladders to navigate, this type of entry assists older people, young children and people with accessibility problems where gradual entry is useful.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
cgulls
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
Based on the fact that is the only way people with certain disabilities -- including those who rely on wheelchairs -- can enjoy the pool.

when I'm home, I swim laps at my gym in a terrific no-wave pool with lanes. When I go to WDW I do not expect to be able to swim laps. The JW Marriott/Ritz in Orlando has a lap pool behind their spa, if that's what you're looking for.

And, sorry, the fence may or may not be aesthetically right but I can't find a lot of sympathy for people who will now have to take an extra 47 steps to get from one building to another.
cgulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
When I go to WDW I do not expect to be able to swim laps.
No but it's still nice to have both a deeper end and a zero-entry/shallow area.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
Zero entry has been added to most new pool refers on property because the new suggestion from ADA is to have two means of entrance/exit for those with disabilities and one should not require special equipment. By having 0 entry many more disabled guests to WDW can enjoy the pool with out having to get a lifeguard first to set up equipment to put them in the pool then to take them out later. I know at one point ADA was fighting that all public and hotel pools have an entry for the disabled that didn't require special equipment (other then a water wheelchair).
wilkeliza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
HerRoyalHighness
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
Zero entry has been added to most new pool refers on property because the new suggestion from ADA is to have two means of entrance/exit for those with disabilities and one should not require special equipment.
I didn't think it was a suggestion...it was mandatory to add it in by a certain date. The hotels around where I live have done big refurbs. New hotels have both ramps and a lift.
HerRoyalHighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran
 
wilkeliza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRoyalHighness View Post

I didn't think it was a suggestion...it was mandatory to add it in by a certain date. The hotels around where I live have done big refurbs. New hotels have both ramps and a lift.
Ah then that means the law went trough. For awhile it was a suggestion because the ADA hadn't officially been updated so a lot of places were doing the refurbs and such while they had the time and money to try and get ahead of the game because for the first time in a long time nothing would be grandfathered in.
wilkeliza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran
 
CuteAsMinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabean View Post
The zero entrance is for the handicapped.

Nothing against that... but this is based on what information?
Common knowledge.
__________________
CBR - 1989 (first trip)
CBR - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 1998, 2001, 2005, 2007
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran
 
Sugardimples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,954

I'm not handicapped but I love a zero entry pool.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.