Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

What would you do?

Right now we are booked for AKL for 5 nights (through AAA). If I did my calculations correctly, when the general public discounts come out on Tuesday we would save about $500. However, I believe that a room at Poly would be at the same price that we currently have at AKL once the discount hits. So, we are trying to decide if we should save some money and stay at AKL or pay the amount that we were planning on paying anyways and switch over to the Poly. We have never stayed at either so we are not sure what to think. I'm sure we would love both - but what would you do?

(We have only been to Disney World once, a couple years ago. We booked Pop, but my husband walked into the room, said "no way am I staying here" and went to the front desk to change resorts. We ended up at the Wilderness Lodge and loved it, but want to try something new this time.)

ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Which theme appeals to you more?

Have you decided how you are going to spend your time? If you're going to be at MK a lot, Poly makes sense.

Will you have a car? AKL is pretty far removed from the parks, so the bus rides will be longer than from other properties.

Are you dying to stay at the Poly? If so, this sounds like a great opportunity. If not, I'd save the money toward my next trip.
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim1964 View Post
Which theme appeals to you more?
We don't really have a favorite between the two...they both seem pretty neat. The kids would love to see the animals (as would I), but it would also be so nice to go out to the beach and see the fireworks and water pageant and then go hop into bed without a long journey...
Have you decided how you are going to spend your time? If you're going to be at MK a lot, Poly makes sense.
With only 5 days it will probably pretty evenly split...Hollywood Studios may only be a half day. We have the tickets that include the water park, but we may drop that and just play in the pool.
Will you have a car? AKL is pretty far removed from the parks, so the bus rides will be longer than from other properties.
No car. We will be relying only on Disney transportation...
Are you dying to stay at the Poly? If so, this sounds like a great opportunity. If not, I'd save the money toward my next trip.
I don't know if I would say we are dying to stay at the Poly...but when I think Disney the Poly always pops into my head. I really think I'm equally attached to both of them; each time I think I make a decision between the two I get a little sad because I don't want to give up the other one. If we were staying longer I'd do a split stay, but with 5 nights that won't work. I suppose I could have worse decisions to make!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

That would be a tough decision for me -- we like them both. I'd say split, but not for 5 days. Poly is more convenient to the MK and Epcot, but AKL is fantastic. AKL buses aren't bad for a few days, IMO. If you like to return to your room in the middle of the day, then go back to the parks, Poly makes it easier. It just really comes down to which resort you think you will enjoy more -- they are both really, really nice.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner View Post
Right now we are booked for AKL for 5 nights (through AAA). If I did my calculations correctly, when the general public discounts come out on Tuesday we would save about $500. However, I believe that a room at Poly would be at the same price that we currently have at AKL once the discount hits. So, we are trying to decide if we should save some money and stay at AKL or pay the amount that we were planning on paying anyways and switch over to the Poly. We have never stayed at either so we are not sure what to think. I'm sure we would love both - but what would you do?

(We have only been to Disney World once, a couple years ago. We booked Pop, but my husband walked into the room, said "no way am I staying here" and went to the front desk to change resorts. We ended up at the Wilderness Lodge and loved it, but want to try something new this time.)
We've stayed at both and while we loved AKL, the Poly is our favorite so I would switch. AKL is beautiful, but we love the MK area, the Poly's tropical atmosphere is relaxing, the volcano pool is awesome as it backs up to the beach with a view of the castle in the distance, the beach is great for watching the fireworks, and being on the monorail makes it convenient to visit the GF and CR for a variety of dining and shopping options. You really can't go wrong with either resort as they are both great places to stay, but my choice would be the Poly without hesitation. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Disney is offering 30% at the Poly so I would jump on that as I am sure once the refurbs are done end of summer the future discounts will be in the range of 15-20%.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone - it helps to get confirmation from all of you!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
waughzoo
Earning My Ears

We are discussing the same exact topic. We have booked a 5 day trip to AKL. If we go to the Poly it is a $508 increase. Starting to think the Poly might be worth it. Easier trips to MK, fireworks on the beach, etc...I hear great things about AKL, but just concerned we might spend over an hour a day communting back and forth to parks each day.
waughzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: