Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
yearbooksharon
Disney Veteran

Graycliff Chocolatier – The Art of Chocolate Making and Factory Tour

Has anyone done this tour in Nassau? I've tried searching the boards and didn't find anything. It sounds great, but I was hoping for a little more information.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
MarthaTracks
Earning My Ears

We are planning on booking this excursion as well. I found out that it is relatively new, like October 2012 new. Any reviews of those you have already gone would be wonderful.
MarthaTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
jcm1957
Earning My Ears

Yes well worth

We have been there twice, Erika was on top chefs deserts. Check out there page on Facebook. Well worth a visit. Highlight of our trip to Nassua.
jcm1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
yearbooksharon
Disney Veteran

I haven't heard any other reviews. There was one on trip adviser that was positive, but it wasn't associated with the cruise.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
engle
DIS Veteran

I am going at the end of may and will report back!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
lilagirl8
Earning My Ears

I am so glad this topic came up! We have been going back and forth on this excursion. We were married in Nassau 13 years ago and had our wedding dinner at the Graycliff. This is a perfect reason to revisit!! Plus, Erica from Top Chef! My 10 year old daughter and my favorite show - that sold her, too! Just booked - going on Dream May 12th. Will let you know how it is!
lilagirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
westmomof2
Earning My Ears

Graycliff Escape excursion

Hi! So I was wondering if there were any updates now that a few (or at least one) of you have gone on this excursion? I wanted to book this excursion for our 8/1/13 sailing....

Thanks!!
westmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

Is this seasonal? I was on the Dream in April 2013 and this wasn't available.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
Otimon
DIS Veteran

We've booked this excursion for our Oct. Dream cruise.

Reviews or no, chocolate lovers that we are, we figured you can't go wrong sampling different chocolates and making some of your very own to bring with you.

Full steam ahead!!!!!
Otimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
engle
DIS Veteran

LOVED it!!

There were 4 of us, all adults, that did this in late May. There were children on the tour and they seemed to really enjoy it as well.

After a short van ride from the port, we were at Graycliffe. Our tour started immediately with the lesson on how cocoa is grown as well as the origination of the chocolate factory itself. We then "suited up" for the tour!! We were shown how the cocoa bean is processed and how it becomes chocolate as well as shown the inner workings of the very small factory.

After that, we were given a class in chocolate making...super fun!! We were able to make chocolate/candy/nut covered strawberry, truffle, marshmallow as well as made our own chocolate bar. We were able to take the box of them home!!

All in all, it is a GREAT tour and would recommend it... I also think kids ages 8 and older would love it.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer!!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

I just booked this tour for my husband and I on our cruise next month. It sounds like fun! The beginning time is 10:45 and return time is 1:45. Does anyone know if there is time for lunch at Graycliff? Or should we just plan to eat when we return to the ship?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
engle
DIS Veteran

You can eat lunch there but you will have to get your own transport back to the ship. It is pretty close....5 minutes by car and the hotel can arrange a taxi for you.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

We are going on our first (ever) cruise (4 night) this Dec. It is just my DH & I so we were actually planning to stay on the ship on Nassau day. This tour sounds like something that might tempt me to get off the ship.

Since we are too far out to book reservations & excursions - can you tell me - is this a tour you can book through Disney? Or is it a tour you book through the hotel on your own?

Last question...we are planning to bring our three boys in 2014 with us on a cruise. Is the chocolate tour something that would be enjoyed more with kids? Or do you think two adults would enjoy it on our own (we do like chocolate!)?

Thanks for your help!
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Jenntx
Mouseketeer

Did a little "googling" - answered my own question. Should have done that first - sorry. Here is the info from DCL's website if anyone else needs it.

Graycliff Chocolatier – The Art of Chocolate Making and Factory Tour
Duration: 1.5 to 2 hours
Adult Price: $59 (ages 10 and up)
Child Price: $45 (ages 5 to 9)
Ages: 5 And Up
On this tour you will:
Take an approximate 10-minute transfer to the Graycliff Chocolatier at the Graycliff Hotel and Restaurant. Here, you will learn the process of making chocolate – from the bean to the final product.
Take a short tour of the factory where you will see a demonstration of grinding and roasting of cacao beans, mixing the liquid chocolate, filling the chocolate molds and more.
Move to the demonstration room and suit up in your hygienic coveralls. Here, you will learn the origin of regional cacao beans, the importance of promoting fair trade and organic farming and how beans are processed creating the final chocolate product.
Now it's your turn! Graycliff's Chocolatier will teach you techniques for dipping, glazing and filling moulds to create your own delicious chocolate bonbons.
You'll sample a variety of chocolates from white, milk and various levels of dark chocolate.
Leave with a souvenir of your own creations carefully packaged in a Graycliff Chocolatier box.
You will have time to browse the Graycliff Chocolatier boutique, view photos of your tour and pick up your gift boxes before your return transfer to the pier.
Wheelchairs need to be standard size and collapsible; no electric wheelchairs permitted. Guests must be able to walk up and down approximately 30 stairs.
Bags and purses are not allowed into the Chocolate Factory. A storage area for belongings will be available.
Guests who choose to stay at the Graycliff Restaurant will be responsible for their own taxi transportation back to the pier.
Due to limited availability, Guests are encouraged to book early.
Guests are encouraged to bring credit cards or currency to purchase optional extras, such as additional food and beverage or souvenirs.
You should never feel that gratuities are expected from you. However, it is customary to leave a few extra dollars in recognition of service at restaurants, for taxis and for exceptional excursion guides and drivers. It is always up to you as to what you feel is appropriate.

Last edited by Jenntx; 07-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Jenntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
lilagirl8
Earning My Ears

Hi! My family did tour in May - here is what I wrote about the excursion last month. Two months later we are still talking about it! Loved it!

Good morning! We just got off the May 12th Dream cruise and did the Chocolate making at The Graycliff. It was so much fun! We left the ship at 10:45ish (the only time), and a van took us to Graycliff. The tour/chocolate making only lasted about 1 1/2 hours. First, the Graycliff itself is beautiful. The chocolate shop has the most amazing chocolates with exotic flavors. Almost too beautiful to eat. You will make your own chocolate while there - which will look NOTHING like the beautiful ones they sell , but taste sooo good. When you are done, they pack your chocolate in a very nice cigar box to take home with you.

We met the Head Chocolatier, Erica, who was a contestant on Top Chef Desserts. She was extremely nice, posed for pics, etc. After the tour, we opted to take the quick walk back to ship ourselves. My only warning is that chocolate and 90 degree weather don't go well together. If you are planning on wandering Nassau to do some shopping, send at least one person back to ship to drop chocolate off!

My understanding is that Disney is the only cruise line that is currently offering the chocolate making as an excursion. This was nice because our tour was made up of just my 6 family members. My mother named the excursion her favorite thing that we did.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
lilagirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: