Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

POR - can the experts help with a ?

We love POR! It's our favorite resort, and the only place our family of 5 goes to when staying at Disney. I was just on the phone with a CM to ask a ticket question, and she made a comment that has me concerned... Our boys are 14, 10, and 10 and she asked if I was sure that we wanted to stay at POR because since the remodel there is now a Murphy bed (which I knew) and it really is for kids 9 and under. (which I didn't know)

Hmmmm... This is a problem. Does that mean there is no longer a Moderate resort that families of 5 can stay once the kids are over 9? My 10 year old boys are pretty tall, and when I looked at the pictures of the Murphy bed - it doesn't look too big... now what? To go up to a Deluxe will cost us a minimum of $2,000 more!
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
njsmama
Mouseketeer

It is small, but if your 10 yr old isn't too tall, it should probably be fine. Even the trundle beds were short and wouldn't sleep an adult or teen comfortably. You could also take a twin size air mattress, just in case. A value hotel family suite would be cheaper than a deluxe, plus give you more room and an extra bathroom. Good Luck. I will be at POR in 58 days, and I am curious to see if my average size 12 yo son will fit on the murphy bed. I hope you have a great trip!
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the new rooms last summer. Dd was 10 and over 5' tall and had no problems sleeping on the Murphy every night.

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyredraider View Post
We stayed in the new rooms last summer. Dd was 10 and over 5' tall and had no problems sleeping on the Murphy every night.
Ok, that makes me feel better! They are not over 5' yet... so if your DD fit, they should be fine. We are driving, so we can throw an air bed in the car just in case...
Old 03-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Honestly? I think the air mattress is a good idea. The new fold down is the size of a crib mattress. And looks like it is very easy to roll off of.

Btw, the old trundle bed was meant for kids 9 and under too. It is just that it was very easy to put older kids on it, as they really couldn't hurt themselves if they rolled off of it. The new bed is off of the ground, and rolling off of it would hurt!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Honestly? I think the air mattress is a good idea. The new fold down is the size of a crib mattress. And looks like it is very easy to roll off of.

Btw, the old trundle bed was meant for kids 9 and under too. It is just that it was very easy to put older kids on it, as they really couldn't hurt themselves if they rolled off of it. The new bed is off of the ground, and rolling off of it would hurt!
If it's the size of a crib mattress, that doesn't sound very big! The air mattress sounds like it will be a winner... It's a shame they made it so small...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
maxiesmom

http://allears.net/acc/portorleans/poabdec2011b.jpg

Another web site lists it as being 66" long by 36" wide. Hope that helps you decide!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

According to this blog, it's 66" long and 31" wide http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/11/04...ans-riverside/. Standard crib mattresses are only 52".
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

THIS!!! It is the size of a crib mattress and a twin air mattress tucked between one of the beds and the door would be far more comfortable and out of the way, IMO. The new murphy bed is directly under the TV and in the middle of the room which is a little awkward, IMO.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I haven't actually stayed on that side of POR, we stay in the mansion side. But I'd take the word of the people who have stayed there and used the murphy bed, and it sounds like it will be fine.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
jsw1114
Mouseketeer

Our 12 year old son, 10 year old daughter and 7 year old daughter all took turns in September when we stayed they loved it I am 5'2 and I could have slept on it. Our only complaint was for 7 nights it was a small space to be in with all 5 of us. A little loud at times lol
jsw1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Whitegloves
Decorative Artist with the fanciest toilet seat in town
I need a life!
Named my van the Tigger mobile! ;-)
Proud to be an American!

Although we didn't use it, there was one of the murphy beds in our room last October. It was big enough that I could have slept there comfortably. (I'm 5'3".)
It is bigger than a crib mattress...trust me, pretty sure I can't sleep in a crib. LOL!

Whitegloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

I will have one of the twins rotate on it... they are close to 5'. My 14 yo is 5'5" at least so I wasn't even going to try for him on it! We are also going to bring an air mattress with us, just in case!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
NHBelle
DIS Veteran

Can the "bench" be moved??? Just wondering because I do think it's in an akward place right under the tv.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBelle View Post
Can the "bench" be moved??? Just wondering because I do think it's in an akward place right under the tv.
No it is part of the cabinet. It just folds down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: