Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Bed Bugs at SSR

My SIL is currently at SSR with her entire family. 7 people total including a 2 year old. They are in a 2 bedroom at SSR and they have bed bugs everywhere. DSIL just called DW and told her.

Disney is completely taking care of them though which I thought was great. They are treating all of their clothes, getting them a new room and giving them money to go to Wal-Mart or somewhere to purchase new clothes.

Just a warning. I'm not sure how you can prevent this but people need to be aware.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
BeccaG
DIS Veteran

Did she mention a room number?
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaG View Post
no she didn't but I'll find out and post an update

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
no she didn't but I'll find out and post an update
Why bother? The bed bugs will have been dealt with by Disney. They have a very good program for this like all good hotels. The room won't be permanently infested, Disney will get rid of them and check nearby rooms, so the room number won't help anybody. You shoud check out any room you occupy.

As people say, bed bugs can occur anywhere. They can come in on people's luggage just by being near another piece of luggage that's infested during transit. The real issue is what the hotel does when they are notified and the OP reports that Disney is handling this well and they do.

There is no practical way for a hotel to prevent them arriving on guests luggage/belongings so no practical way to prevent them from entering the hotel. Your best defence is to do checks of the rooms and your luggage before occupying the room. They love to hide in seams.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Beth521
Earning My Ears

Oh my gosh! That is so awful....heeby jeebies just thinking about it!

Beth521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
magicmommy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting. I keep my eyes wide open since we check into AKL next Friday and SSR the Friday after!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaG View Post
Why? What difference would it make? In the off chance that somebody is checking in at some future time, hears the room #, remembers this post and can say, "No, not that one. That's the one that had bed bugs."
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

I feel very bad for your family. This is my #1 hotel fear! Unfortunately it can happen anywhere - deluxes, mods, and values. I try to do a thorough room check before we made ourselves at home and bring in our luggage - not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Ugh...wonder if other rooms are affected? What a horrible thought..

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
eMd
Earning My Ears

Bed Bug Tips

I recently replied to a non-Disney hotel thread regarding Bed Bugs.
I had my own run in with bed bugs at a family rental house in New Jersey Memorial Day of 2011. Here is what I wrote in the other thread.

Quote:
This is going to be sort of long:

• Before your trip look online to see if bed bugs have been reported. Some good websites www.bedbugregistry.com and www.bedbugreports.com
• Do not place luggage on a bed, ground, or any other furniture before you check for bed bugs. If you have your own transportation you could leave your luggage in the car while you check the room. If not, one of the safest places you can place your luggage is actually the bathtub/shower. Bed bugs tend to not make it that far as they won’t be close to their food source.
•A small flashlight is handy for checking under beds, long seams and being headboards.
•You should strip the bed sheets and any mattress pad to check the mattress. Remember to check box springs or platform beds crevices as well. Pay special attention the seams.
•You will also want to check everything else that can hold bed bugs. Bed stands, couches, drawers and furniture.
•Adult bed bugs are oval, brown, flat and wingless. They are about the size of an apple seed. Young bed bugs are smaller, and sometimes a lighter shade of brown. Babies tend to be almost a clear color.
•Look for rusty or reddish stains on bed linens, pillows, mattress/box spring, frame, headboard, bed stands, walls, etc.
•Bed bug excrement leave dark spots that may look like a pencil or pen mark.
•Eggs and eggshells are white and are only about a millimeter in size.
•Pay special attention to box springs – these are a bed bug haven! Platform beds, or slatted bed should also be checked.
•You sometimes are able to see shed bed bug exoskeletons as well.
•Some tips and tricks suggest to turn the lights off, and use your flashlight, or to turn a hair dryer on the mattress corners for a few minutes to simulate body warmth. The idea is that the warmth and the dark will bring the bed bugs out(as they usually feed at night and when a warm body is in the bed) and you may be able to trick them to come out to find them. I have never used this method because it has been pretty clear but checking the seams, etcs whether or not there may be a bed bug infestation.
•If you find signs of bed bugs, and you are not able to change hotels request a new room on a different floor far away from the infected room. Often times the rooms next door, directly above and below can also be infected.
•Not everyone is allergic to bed bugs, so not everyone will have a reaction if bitten by bed bugs. This is why it is important to check for bed bugs before you make yourself at home on vacation.
•You can use zip lock bags, something called or something called Bug Zip to help encase your luggage/clothing/belongings to help prevent bed bugs. There are plenty of other brands, but Bug zip is the only one I am familiar with. Bug Zips are meant to be left behind for disposal, and not meant to be reused.
http://www.bugzip.com/
•Due to regulations in the United Stated the chemicals that effectively treat bed bugs tend to no longer be available. The only way to kill bed bugs seems to be high heats. You should wash everything that can be laundered that way on high heat upon returning home, and dry on high heat. Throw anything else that can be put through a high heat dry cycle through one.
•Vacuum suitcases/luggage crevices to get rid of any eggs. Hard shell suitcases are better for preventing bed bugs than regular fabric ones.
www.bedbugger.com is one of my favorite websites for bed bugs tips, tricks, and how to deal.

I am sure that I am forgetting some things, which is why I included the bed bugger website link. I know that with my own experience I became incredibly paranoid along with my 2 girlfriends, my cousin and her friend. I ended up cleaning everything I had with me on high heat, and placing it all in zip locks and trash bags. I cleaned my car, and I threw away my actual suitcase. I had bought new clothes and took an outdoor shower at the rental home because I refused to re -the house. I pretty much lost my mind during that ordeal and developed extreme anxiety afterwards. I now check for bed bugs at very hotel or vacation rental stay and I have bed bug/allergy encasements on my mattress and pillows for preventative measures. FYI – the encasement is preventative in the sense that it makes it easier to inspect. Also, Bed Bath and Beyond carries an "all natural" bed bug spray. I bring the travel size one with me, and spray my mattress, and other furniture, just to be safe. It probably doesn't do anything and it smells strongly of cinnamon almost sickeningly so.
eMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
mybatmobile87
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMd View Post
I recently replied to a non-Disney hotel thread regarding Bed Bugs.
I had my own run in with bed bugs at a family rental house in New Jersey Memorial Day of 2011. Here is what I wrote in the other thread.
This is exactly what we do every time we stay at a hotel. It takes a little bit of time and is a little bit of a pain, but it's well worth the time, in my opinion. We keep our hard-shelled suitcases in the bathroom, keep the clothes in Ziplocks in the luggage (PJs get their own bag!), and thoroughly check the room. Don't forget to check the pillows! We also have a mattress encasement at home.

I think part of the reason that bed bugs are spreading so fast is that people don't know to look for them until they've already brought them home. And once home, they don't know how to properly treat for them. As others have said, the only way to get rid of them is thermally treating for them and it's so expensive that people are willing to try other, cheaper, methods first.
mybatmobile87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

I have a pretty extreme paranoia about bedbugs, lice, and fleas. I totally get the anxiety. I was driving in the rain at night through road construction and a semi was passing me at tight quarters. I was initially tense about it but then I kept saying to myself... "It's not bedbugs, it's just a semi. It's not lice, it's just a semi. It's not fleas, it's just a semi. A harmless little 18 wheeler".

Anyway, as part of my routine I use these huge xxl ziploc or glad or something.
They come in, like, L, XL, and XXL. I can cover my entire suitcase with the XXL (the kind you can use as a carry on). I use other other sizes to contain everything else.

I have other ways to ward of the evil bug o' the bed but the ziploc type bags could be helpful even to normal people . None of my ways involve sprays... just checks and following certain self-imposed rules.

I also agree that Disney does a great job with this.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Wow, this is surprising to me. I've never even thought about looking for bedbugs. We just stayed at SSR this month, plus we've stayed dozens of nights at various DVC and Disney Resorts. After reading all the comments, I realize it can happen anywhere, but I hope we never have a problem with it sounds horrible, definitely not magical.

I would think Mousekeeping would be really good at catching it when the turn the room over.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Do people actually put their entire suitcase in a huge ziploc type bag before checking it on the airplane??? I think it's a good idea since most are probably picked up in cargo holds, luggage transfers etc but do people really enclose their entire suitcase in giant plastic bags for air travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
I have a pretty extreme paranoia about bedbugs, lice, and fleas. I totally get the anxiety. I was driving in the rain at night through road construction and a semi was passing me at tight quarters. I was initially tense about it but then I kept saying to myself... "It's not bedbugs, it's just a semi. It's not lice, it's just a semi. It's not fleas, it's just a semi. A harmless little 18 wheeler".

Anyway, as part of my routine I use these huge xxl ziploc or glad or something.
They come in, like, L, XL, and XXL. I can cover my entire suitcase with the XXL (the kind you can use as a carry on). I use other other sizes to contain everything else.

I have other ways to ward of the evil bug o' the bed but the ziploc type bags could be helpful even to normal people . None of my ways involve sprays... just checks and following certain self-imposed rules.

I also agree that Disney does a great job with this.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
donnaf516
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
Do people actually put their entire suitcase in a huge ziploc type bag before checking it on the airplane??? I think it's a good idea since most are probably picked up in cargo holds, luggage transfers etc but do people really enclose their entire suitcase in giant plastic bags for air travel?
I wish I could find ziploc bags big enough to fit our luggage. I am super paranoid when it comes to bed bugs! My family knows that nobody steps foot into the room before I inspect.

August 2010 - POR
August 2011 - CBR
February 2012 - Pop
August 2012 - BC
August 2013 - POFQ
donnaf516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: