Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
cobright
DIS Veteran

Special accommodations for a guest who expects to make a lot of noise at night?

This may approach the line of TMI and for that I apologize, but we are cementing out plans for a return to wdw and I'm getting a little anxious about a problem I kind of expect to have with the resort.

I experience night-terrors most nights and the resulting noise can be very traumatic for people in a 50 to 100' radius. This happened one night last year during our stay at POR out of a 6 night vacation but we are staying 9 nights this time and I'm really dreading this.

Would it be wise to let the resort staff know that this might occur? Can I hope to find a room on the end of a building?

I do usually bring it up upon check in but they rarely take me seriously. As it happens (I'm told this) I often do quite a bit of screaming; even worse, I make exclamations in several different voices and even speak in different languages. I don't mean I'm possessed, they are languages I personally know. Be that as it may, wild and terrified screaming in Japanese, Urdu, Korean, Bengali, and/or English (of course) can be quite upsetting to someone who is not expecting it.

I'm thinking of bringing a recording of a particularly shrill 'event' to convey the complexity of the situation to the Cast Member at check in. Or should I try to make the resort aware of this before we arrive?

I really don't know how much accommodation I can expect but it would be really nice to make it through the week without the police showing up. That was a real bummer.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
kellymarch
Earning My Ears

If you know it can be "traumatic" for those next door & further, then it is the height of an entitled attitude to stay at a public hotel.
A heads-up to the desk staff doesn't begin to cover it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymarch
If you know it can be "traumatic" for those next door & further, then it is the height of an entitled attitude to stay at a public hotel.
So she or he (sorry didn't look at your profile) never gets to stay at a hotel? What about screaming babies?
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Mickfarland4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymarch View Post
This is extremely rude! Have a little empathy for someone else's problems! Obviously they care about disrupting others and are trying to do the best to not terrify other resort guests. Personally, I would be more curious as to what is going on than mad!

OP- I would call about 10 days out and speak to someone about requesting a corner room. Good luck in your stay! I hope you have a peaceful trip!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran

Maybe the THVs might be an option or the Ft.Wilderness Cabins, where you can have more private space. If not, speaking to your doctor to try to get you some help for when you are at home and traveling would be wise (but I'm sure that's something you are already doing).

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
mrskirk
Earning My Ears

Oh wow. I've never heard of adult night terrors before, only those that children have. You learn something everyday. I can completely see how adults can have them, too, especially if related to traumatic/stressful past. Anyways...

I agree with most of the previous posts. The best option would be to find a stand alone unit. A villa, house, or cabin. Staying in a hotel would not be a good option especially if you have been in the situation before, where you have a night terror and police have been involved with them (coming to check in on the situation I'm guessing). Not only would it be a headache for the other guests around you, waking them or their children up with a terrifying noise as if someone is being murdered next door, but it also seems like it is a headache for you as well! If it were me with the night terrors I wouldn't want the police coming to my hotel room asking me 21 questions. I would take the safer route and find a place that my night terror would not bother anyone else. It's really only fair.

Maybe a doctor could prescribe a medication, but I'm sure you have tried several already. Also, most "sleeping meds" cause an increase in dreaming etc.

I'm sorry you have this issue and have to deal with it
Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickfarland4 View Post
This is extremely rude! Have a little empathy for someone else's problems! Obviously they care about disrupting others and are trying to do the best to not terrify other resort guests. Personally, I would be more curious as to what is going on than mad!

OP- I would call about 10 days out and speak to someone about requesting a corner room. Good luck in your stay! I hope you have a peaceful trip!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickfarland4 View Post
Personally, I would be more curious as to what is going on than mad!

The first night it happend, maybe. The 3rd, 4th or 5th nights into your stay you're not curious anymore, you're furious.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

To be blunt, there is nothing that the front desk can do to help. It is up to the OP to do what THEY can do to minimize impacting the guests around them. It is not a reasonable accommodation to expect Disney to keep rooms unoccupied. Nor is it reasonable to expect other guests to simply have to deal with it and have their nights interrupted.

The OP needs to take it upon themselves to take the steps needed. This, most likely, would be to get a cabin, a unit at THV, or to rent a house off site.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
BlackMagicWoman
Mouseketeer

It is only one night out of six. I've had screaming infants wake me up more nights than that.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
To be blunt, there is nothing that the front desk can do to help. It is up to the OP to do what THEY can do to minimize impacting the guests around them. It is not a reasonable accommodation to expect Disney to keep rooms unoccupied. Nor is it reasonable to expect other guests to simply have to deal with it and have their nights interrupted.

The OP needs to take it upon themselves to take the steps needed. This, most likely, would be to get a cabin, a unit at THV, or to rent a house off site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1182 View Post
Notifing the front desk will not prevent a concerend guest or CM from calling security or the police. If they are called they will come.

Hearing an adult screaming in the middle of the night is far differnt than a baby crying. I do not know how you can possibly compare the two.

I do not think it is reasonable to expect a hotel disney or not to leave adjoining rooms empty . They will also have to have the rooms above and below empty and have other guests kepe windows closed and balconey doors closed ?

If you need this accomadation then perhaps you should concider going at a off peak time .

Do you want the hotel to notify all hotel guests that if you hear an adult screaminging the middle of the night ignore it?

I agree that treatment ,medication, and theraphy can help and perhaps get this condition under control .

Can't believe the amazingly rude people on this thread! Thank goodness for the report buttons. To the OP, ignore them. They want to talk about being entitled, yet they feel entitled to come in and be rude. Clearly they have no idea what it's like to experience problems similar to yours.

Getting back to your original post, I think you've gotten some great advice.Have a wonderful holiday and I hope that everything works out for you and your family!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
kellymarch
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish.Glenn

So she or he (sorry didn't look at your profile) never gets to stay at a hotel? What about screaming babies?
Babies may be annoying, but aren't traumatic. Don't know about "never".
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

OP, has your therapist not talked to you about ways to handle these situations? I assume that if you have these occurrances on a regular basis that you are in treatment. Perhaps your doctor would be willing to prescribe a medication that would enable you to sleep through the night while on vacation. And not traumatize your neighbouring guests.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
OP, has your therapist not talked to you about ways to handle these situations? I assume that if you have these occurrances on a regular basis that you are in treatment. Perhaps your doctor would be willing to prescribe a medication that would enable you to sleep through the night while on vacation. And not traumatize your neighbouring guests.
That was actually my thought. Is there a sleeping pill that might help you get through the night without an episode?

Sept 29-Oct 10, 2012 POR, Jan 6-15th, 2014 POR, Oct 2-6th, 2014 BCV, October 6-10th, 2014 DCL Wonder
*Heather & Melissa's Epic Adventure PTR October 2014*
*395 days of planning all lead up to this! Sept/Oct 2012*
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
Dominion
Mouseketeer

I guess I'm not sure what the resort could actually do for you, except maybe note it in your reservation so that if someone calls security and complains they know beforehand that you have night terrors and that's why someone is screaming in your room. Unless they have soundproof rooms I don't know about!

If you do get the night terrors, do they go on all night or just for a few seconds before someone wakes you up (or you wake yourself up?) Are you sharing a room with someone else that could help you out if there is a problem?

Sorry you have to stress about this...
Offsite 2003
Poly CL December 2013 - First family trip!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: