Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
leebee
DIS Veteran

CP Attractions Questions

DD has accepted a role in attractions for CP Fall 2013. She was wondering how this works. Are you trained for only one attraction, or for several in the area? Is there any way to request a specific park? If you are in a park other than MK, is it possible to get shifts for MNSSHP or MVMCP?

Also, one thing concerns her: She is terrified of It's Tough to Be a Bug! She always has been, ever since it opened, and knowing DDs luck, she's concerned that THIS is where she will be assigned. Is there anyone she can contact and ask that this not happen?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

I do know that if you have a specific location you want to work or need to avoid, you must mention it in the interview. They won't hear/honor any requests after that point unless they are for medical requests. So if her fear is so strong that it leads to panic attacks maybe it's something worth trying for. Otherwise, they'd just consider it to be a request.

Also, for most attractions you are trained in an area. My roomate was in the Asia section of AK and was worked primarily on Expedition Everest, but was trained on kali river rapids as well. My friend that worked in Adventureland at MK was trained in all Adventureland rides + Haunted Mansion, but her primary location was the Tiki Room and Aladdin's Magic Carpets. You can get scheduled on MNSSHP treat location shifts as an attractions CM working in the MK. I don't know about other parks, unfortunately.
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikistitch View Post
I do know that if you have a specific location you want to work or need to avoid, you must mention it in the interview. They won't hear/honor any requests after that point unless they are for medical requests. So if her fear is so strong that it leads to panic attacks maybe it's something worth trying for. Otherwise, they'd just consider it to be a request.

Also, for most attractions you are trained in an area. My roomate was in the Asia section of AK and was worked primarily on Expedition Everest, but was trained on kali river rapids as well. My friend that worked in Adventureland at MK was trained in all Adventureland rides + Haunted Mansion, but her primary location was the Tiki Room and Aladdin's Magic Carpets. You can get scheduled on MNSSHP treat location shifts as an attractions CM working in the MK. I don't know about other parks, unfortunately.
I think in the other parks you get an area, then you find out which attraction you're starting at. You can then cross-train to other attractions in your area (Future World West for example)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
DD has accepted a role in attractions for CP Fall 2013. She was wondering how this works. 1 Are you trained for only one attraction, or for several in the area? 2 Is there any way to request a specific park? 3 If you are in a park other than MK, is it possible to get shifts for MNSSHP or MVMCP?

Also, one thing concerns her: She is terrified of It's Tough to Be a Bug! She always has been, ever since it opened, and knowing DDs luck, she's concerned that THIS is where she will be assigned. 4 Is there anyone she can contact and ask that this not happen?
1 - It depends on the park. For example, at DHS I worked at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster. This was the only attraction I was trained to work. But, if your in MK you could be trained on multiple attractions. For example, in Fantasyland you could be assigned to It's a Small World and Peter Pan. She will also be able to pick up PAC (Parade Audience Control) shifts. Also while I was working at RnR, I could pick up Fantasmic shifts. I don't know if this is open to all areas or if was for just Sunset CMs. But, during your CP you will only be trained at the attractions you're assigned. You can't cross-train. For example many FT and PT CMs at RnR were cross-trained at Tower of Terror. But as a CP I could not be cross-trained there. I don't know if this is the same in all areas, but it's highly likely considering the amount of time you spend training and the short amount of time the CP actually is.

2 - My last CP I was able to e-mail to request rides. This time around though, I've been told that if it wasn't mentioned during the interview it's too late. Many people have tried calling and have been told this. Though, I have not called myself.

3 - She absolutely can! As an attractions CM I know I saw them posted to pick up during my last CP. I don't know if the rules have changed since then or not, though. These shifts go really fast, though. Especially the candy shifts.

4 - This is actually a really good question that I don't have an answer to. Anyone else?

If she has any other questions, I'd be more than happy to help!
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)

Last edited by pipermae; 03-26-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added more information.
pipermae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermae View Post
1 - It depends on the park. For example, at DHS I worked at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster. This was the only attraction I was trained to work. But, if your in MK you could be trained on multiple attractions. For example, in Fantasyland you could be assigned to It's a Small World and Peter Pan. She will also be able to pick up PAC (Parade Audience Control) shifts. Also while I was working at RnR, I could pick up Fantasmic shifts. I don't know if this is open to all areas or if was for just Sunset CMs. But, during your CP you will only be trained at the attractions you're assigned. You can't cross-train. For example many FT and PT CMs at RnR were cross-trained at Tower of Terror. But as a CP I could not be cross-trained there.
I think that Tower isn't a new hire attraction? (I know at Disneyland it's definitely *not*. idk about WDW)
Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
lilmissdisney216
Pawsitively Lovin a Labrador!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego606 View Post
I think that Tower isn't a new hire attraction? (I know at Disneyland it's definitely *not*. idk about WDW)
I've seen CP's at Tower during my CP back in 2011 so I believe they can have that one. I mentioned it in my interview when I first applied in 2009 and was selected for attractions. Not sure if I had Tower or not but it was a good chance.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You can be a CP at Tower at WDW.
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
pipermae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
leeg229
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The roommate of the girl I was seeing on the program was a CP for Tower. She LOVED working tower and she took me backstage at Tower and it's more eerie backstage than onstage because you can hear the whole building shake and creak every time an elevator fall.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
lego606
Mouseketeer

I guess WDW is nicer about Tower then :P
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cais View Post
CPs aren't allowed to cross train, so she'll only be working one ride.
Not necessarily. I know CPs that have been cross-trained
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
DD has accepted a role in attractions for CP Fall 2013. She was wondering how this works. Are you trained for only one attraction, or for several in the area? Is there any way to request a specific park? If you are in a park other than MK, is it possible to get shifts for MNSSHP or MVMCP?

Also, one thing concerns her: She is terrified of It's Tough to Be a Bug! She always has been, ever since it opened, and knowing DDs luck, she's concerned that THIS is where she will be assigned. Is there anyone she can contact and ask that this not happen?
I worked Fantasyland attractions. I was afraid of Snow Whites scary adventure but had to work at it. I'm not scared of it anymore but I'm a wuss lol I worked at: Dumbo,SWSA,Ariel's grotto, Winnie the pooh, & Tea Cups. We had a rotation that we worked as well as parade control & overtime in toontown character greeter. I requested space mt but got Fantasyland. It is ok I learned to love it there & fantasyland has a special place in my heart now. I wasnt there during HP or CP nights so I cannot answer that ? for you. When I was there Grad nights were HUGE. Most people requested to work them so we werent obligated to......

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Disney's Beignet review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
leebee
DIS Veteran

DD is freaked out about the bugs. Last time she was in ITTBAB, she hyperventilated and almost passed out. It would be just her luck to be assigned here!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Cais
DIS Veteran

CPs aren't allowed to cross train, so she'll only be working one ride. Magic kingdom attractions are the only ones scheduled candy shifts but others can pick them up. It's tough though. Christmas shifts require you to be food trained so that's harder.

Your recruiter doesn't have much say in where you go. Basically it boils down to operational need and can only really be influenced in the interview process.

I've always said the ride you work is the least important factor in the enjoyment of your cp. Even a crappy ride can be amazing with a great group of people. And rides that everyone wants like Jungle Cruise? I've known people spend six months desperately giving away every single jungle shift so that they would never ever ever ever have to work that ride again. I've seen so many people go through that and end up hating it and then getting pulled to it constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cais View Post
CPs aren't allowed to cross train, so she'll only be working one ride.
Even though others have already mentioned that there are CP positions where you could work a number of rides?
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Anyways, working at Its Tough to Be a Bug every day is probably a pretty good way to overcome your fear of it.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: