Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 743

Help!? AKL or Poly??

I was certain we were going to stay at AKL (even booked it already) but now I'm considering staying at the Poly. We are going in Oct for 10 days with DH and 2 boys under 6. What resort would you stay at and why? Its about a $600 difference, is it worth it?
I'm soooo stuck!!!! Thanks
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Poly is my absolute favorite.

The Poly always makes it feel like a vacation.
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,956

I love AKL! But haven't stayed at the Poly. You will have fun at either one. If you are going to the MK a lot, you might want the Poly because of the monorail. Although, the last time I was at WDW, the monorail was sporadically stopped for repairs.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran
 
heidijanesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,681

Two of our favorite resorts! We are also going in Oct (4-13) and staying at AKL.

We stayed at AKL for our 1st visit to WDW and thought it was a perfect 1st resort. The theme is amazing, beautiful rooms and lobby. Bus service is excellent and great food options. Feels like you are on an African safari and it's very quiet.

The Poly is our favorite. Huge rooms, awesome location and day bed in every room. Feels like your in the middle of everything. Watching Wishes from the beach/pool or GCH is heaven!

With kids that age, both resorts are appealing. If you want a little more space in your room, go for the Poly. The day beds are comfy and a great option. AKL has bunkbeds, if your kids don't like to sleep together. The Poly is very convenient to MK and EPCOT and the bus service was great for us.

Either way, they are great resorts
__________________


May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith View Post
Two of our favorite resorts! We are also going in Oct (4-13) and staying at AKL.

We stayed at AKL for our 1st visit to WDW and thought it was a perfect 1st resort. The theme is amazing, beautiful rooms and lobby. Bus service is excellent and great food options. Feels like you are on an African safari and it's very quiet.

The Poly is our favorite. Huge rooms, awesome location and day bed in every room. Feels like your in the middle of everything. Watching Wishes from the beach/pool or GCH is heaven!

With kids that age, both resorts are appealing. If you want a little more space in your room, go for the Poly. The day beds are comfy and a great option. AKL has bunkbeds, if your kids don't like to sleep together. The Poly is very convenient to MK and EPCOT and the bus service was great for us.

Either way, they are great resorts
I would say that cleanliness and pools, activities for the kids is our 1st priority, then transportation. Room size is last on the list cause we will spent a lot of time at the parks and relaxing around the pools, going to the water parks etc....we plan on doing 5 park days and 5 down days..we pretty much planned every other day for a park and a down day in between. We want to see the parks of course, but we also really want to enjoy the resort as well, and get our $$'s worth!!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
I was certain we were going to stay at AKL (even booked it already) but now I'm considering staying at the Poly. We are going in Oct for 10 days with DH and 2 boys under 6. What resort would you stay at and why? Its about a $600 difference, is it worth it?
I'm soooo stuck!!!! Thanks
We've stayed at both and while we love AKL, the Poly is our favorite and that would be our choice without question. We love the Poly for the tropical atmosphere, larger room, being just 2 monorail stops away from MK, being within walking distance to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail, the volcano pool as it backs up to the beach with a view of the castle in the distance, the beach for watching the fireworks, convenience to the CR and GF for a variety of dining options, and Captain Cooks for quick meals/snacks (which is our favorite resort CS). With all of that said, AKL is a beautiful resort and I'm sure you will have a great trip no matter which one you choose, but if you will be spending a lot of time at MK, the Poly would be the most convenient (especially if you will be taking breaks during the day and going back to the resort). Good luck.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
mmmears
DIS Veteran
 
mmmears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 8,261

We love them both, and have done several split-stays at those two. IMO that's the best since you get to experience both for 4-5 days each, but I know that not everyone likes to switch hotels in the middle of their vacation.

If I had to pick one... It's hard. We love AKL and the animals, theming, etc. We also really like the larger rooms and better transportation at the Poly. I don't mind the buses at AKL, but I might if I stayed there for 10 days straight. Poly will give you more options for parks and dining without taking a bus... and will be easier to come back to for pool time or a nap in the afternoon.
__________________


* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
We love them both, and have done several split-stays at those two. IMO that's the best since you get to experience both for 4-5 days each, but I know that not everyone likes to switch hotels in the middle of their vacation.

If I had to pick one... It's hard. We love AKL and the animals, theming, etc. We also really like the larger rooms and better transportation at the Poly. I don't mind the buses at AKL, but I might if I stayed there for 10 days straight. Poly will give you more options for parks and dining without taking a bus... and will be easier to come back to for pool time or a nap in the afternoon.
We had considered a split stay, but its very confusing with tickets/dining plan. I am hoping for a good discount on the room rate and paying OOP for the dining plan, but if I did the discount (if one becomes available) can I do a split stay and apply the discount to each reservation?
I love the idea of a split stay, and getting to experience both resorts.
This is all new to me, so any info is greatly appreciated, thank-you!!
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda
 
jenjersnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 4,716

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
We had considered a split stay, but its very confusing with tickets/dining plan. I am hoping for a good discount on the room rate and paying OOP for the dining plan, but if I did the discount (if one becomes available) can I do a split stay and apply the discount to each reservation?
I love the idea of a split stay, and getting to experience both resorts.
This is all new to me, so any info is greatly appreciated, thank-you!!
If the discount is available for the two resorts, yes, you can receive the discount on two room only reservations. We nearly always do split stays and have done this many times, including this upcoming reservation. Other times, we have done a package with tix, dining (sometimes free) and room for first part of split stay and room only for the second portion. All discounted in some way because we won't go without one.
__________________
Jen, mom to three

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjersnap View Post
If the discount is available for the two resorts, yes, you can receive the discount on two room only reservations. We nearly always do split stays and have done this many times, including this upcoming reservation. Other times, we have done a package with tix, dining (sometimes free) and room for first part of split stay and room only for the second portion. All discounted in some way because we won't go without one.
Thank-you!

If free dining became available, could you do the 1st reservation with free dining and the 2nd reservation with room discount?
Does AKL and the Poly normally have a discount in Oct? I know free dining is possible...
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
We love them both, and have done several split-stays at those two. IMO that's the best since you get to experience both for 4-5 days each, but I know that not everyone likes to switch hotels in the middle of their vacation.

If I had to pick one... It's hard. We love AKL and the animals, theming, etc. We also really like the larger rooms and better transportation at the Poly. I don't mind the buses at AKL, but I might if I stayed there for 10 days straight. Poly will give you more options for parks and dining without taking a bus... and will be easier to come back to for pool time or a nap in the afternoon.
We have a lot of ADR's..is it difficult to get to them? For example we have;
*Chef Mickey's
*Ohana dinner and breakfast
*Cape May Chef
*Boma (if we stay at AKL)
*T-rex
And others that we will do while in the parks.
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.
 
dfarner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinkerfrosch View Post
We have a lot of ADR's..is it difficult to get to them? For example we have;
*Chef Mickey's
*Ohana dinner and breakfast
*Cape May Chef
*Boma (if we stay at AKL)
*T-rex
And others that we will do while in the parks.
Chef Mickey's, Ohana, and Cape May are accessible by monorail. I would take that into consideration. You can reach Cape May by taking the monorail to Epcot and walking to Beach Club. That may be something you want to consider...it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us, but definitely a consideration for ease of transportation. Will you have a car? If so, I wouldn't even factor in the monorail...just drive.
__________________

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Chef Mickey's, Ohana, and Cape May are accessible by monorail. I would take that into consideration. You can reach Cape May by taking the monorail to Epcot and walking to Beach Club. That may be something you want to consider...it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us, but definitely a consideration for ease of transportation. Will you have a car? If so, I wouldn't even factor in the monorail...just drive.
Do you mean if I stay at the Poly?
And, no, no car..
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
DisGirlAllie
I can bust some pretty smooth moves
I get goosebumps and feel the magic
 
DisGirlAllie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 22,505

Have you stayed at AKL before? We love AKL but given the choice, and if money wasn't a huge factor, we'd try Poly. Either resort is excellent so I'm sure you'd be happy with either

Just to note, I've found that AKL is kind of a PITA for transportation. If you have a car or a lot of patience, then great. I always figured (and could be wrong) that staying at a monorail resort meant transportation was less of an issue.
__________________
Aℓℓie. University Student. DCPer. WDW Expert.
DisGirlAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
AquaDame
Are we there yet?
 
AquaDame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,553

The moment the Poly becomes affordable by renting DVC points, we will be there. In the meantime, I am an AKL girl! If $ were no object, I would absolutely try it next time!
__________________
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.