Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
drischar
Mouseketeer

Gluten-free by choice

I am currently eating gluten free and dairy free by choice as, to my knowledge, I am not allergic or sensitive and cross-contamination is not an issue. I do not plan to note on my reservation any special food requests. I can make easy choices at the buffets or from MDR menus.

My question is this: Is it ok to request GF food items on board if you are not labeled GF? Such as GF chicken fingers or the occasional prepackaged cookie from Deck 11 (Dream)?
drischar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drischar View Post
I am currently eating gluten free and dairy free by choice as, to my knowledge, I am not allergic or sensitive and cross-contamination is not an issue. I do not plan to note on my reservation any special food requests. I can make easy choices at the buffets or from MDR menus.

My question is this: Is it ok to request GF food items on board if you are not labeled GF? Such as GF chicken fingers or the occasional prepackaged cookie from Deck 11 (Dream)?
DCL is happy to accommodate dietary requests, regardless of the reason for the request. You'll probably have much more to choose from if you do note the request on your reservation.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Presley
Mouseketeer

Twice we've noted gluten free on our reservation and it made not difference when we got in the ship. We told our wait staff on the first night and they took care of it.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

I have requested GF on both the wonder and the dream..no problems what so ever..

If you are on the Dream, ask for your head server to be Simone Tosta.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
drischar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
DCL is happy to accommodate dietary requests, regardless of the reason for the request. You'll probably have much more to choose from if you do note the request on your reservation.
Yes, agreed. I do not plan to have it noted since it is by choice. Thank you for your reply.
drischar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
DCL is happy to accommodate dietary requests, regardless of the reason for the request.You'll probably have much more to choose from if you do note the request on your reservation.
Quote:
Yes, agreed. I do not plan to have it noted since it is by choice. Thank you for your reply.
If you are gluten-free by choice, either please note it on your reservation or do not ask for the special GF items. Only a limited number of GF items are stocked. I am assuming the amount stocked is based on the number of guests who request a gluten-free diet ahead of time. On two of our trips the kitchen has run out of gluten-free items for my son. On one trip, they ran out of the gluten-free buns and had to wait until our next port of call in two days to get more. On another trip, they ran out of the pre-packaged gluten-free cookies. I think they need to stock more if the gluten-free passenger is a teenage boy!!

For him, it is not a choice. He will have a seizure if he ingests gluten.

Yes, DCL is happy to accommodate requests, but, please request it in advance, so DCL can plan accordingly. They can't just go shopping in the middle of the ocean for more they run out of an item.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Denine
I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
If you are gluten-free by choice, either please note it on your reservation or do not ask for the special GF items. Only a limited number of GF items are stocked. I am assuming the amount stocked is based on the number of guests who request a gluten-free diet ahead of time. On two of our trips the kitchen has run out of gluten-free items for my son. On one trip, they ran out of the gluten-free buns and had to wait until our next port of call in two days to get more. On another trip, they ran out of the pre-packaged gluten-free cookies. I think they need to stock more if the gluten-free passenger is a teenage boy!!

Yes, DCL is happy to accommodate requests, but, please request it in advance, so DCL can plan accordingly. They can't just go shopping in the middle of the ocean for more they run out of an item.
Thank you! My DD was just diagnosed with celiac disease and we will be on a 2 week cruise in September. I would hate for them to run out of food for her if someone that was GF by choice was requesting the food without noting it on their ressies. I have no problem with someone that is GF by choice requsting it on their ressies. That way they know how much GF food to stock.
Disney Magic 10-01 Disney Magic 10-14-06 Disney Magic 10-16-10
Disney Magic 10-12-02 Disney Magic 10-13-07Disney Wonder 10-16-11
Disney Magic 10-19-02 Disney Magic 10-11-08Disney Magic 5-9-12
Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Msmit002
Family Concierge

Quote:
If you are gluten-free by choice, either please note it on your reservation or do not ask for the special GF items. Only a limited number of GF items are stocked.
ABSOLUTELY! If you are GF by choice, and you are only going to be making GF choices by choosing items from the menu/buffet that will fit your dietary needs that is one thing. But...if you are going to request GF items such as baked goods, cereals, oats etc. then you absolutely MUST declare that ahead of time so DCL can plan and stock appropriately.

The only reason why our family is even considering a cruise at all is because WDW has always been able to accommodate my son and I and our Celiac disease. As such, DCL is the only cruise we are considering. My biggest worry is being on a cruise ship is that I will be out in the middle of the ocean with only salad, fruit and grilled, plain chicken and fish to eat because there isn't much by way of GF carbohydrates on board. I have been telling myself that I won't have to pack GF foods with my in my suitcase, but if there are a bunch of non-GF declarants on board, then I will rethink this and ultimately may decide a cruise is not for us. Again.
Msmit002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is such a good reminder of why we should inform and ask AHEAD of time. Even a Disney ship can only stock so much of each item.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple

THANKYOU!! After much discussion , my family and I have chosen to take a cruise because we read how DCL can accommodate GF. My daughter and I both have celiac disease. This is a real gamble for us. I will be devastated if they run out of gf food because people are participating in the 'fad' of eating gf. My daughter will be violently ill for 8 hrs if she eats ANY gluten. PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE note it on your reservation if you want to eat gf.
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Autumn Fairy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Please have it noted on your ressie for those who don't have the 'choice' (like my daughter). They only stock so much per person and if you don't note it, you could essentially be taking away food from someone who really needs it. I would rather them have 'too much' than not enough.

Thank you and enjoy your cruise
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've eliminated all gluten and my symptoms have 90% subsided. Although I don't have celiac and won't become violently ill if eaten; I get joint, muscle and deep tissue pain. Obviously, it's a different situation, technically by choice because I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life and decided to cure myself through the food I eat. I could chose to "cheat" and deal with the pain if there was something I REALLY wanted but wouldn't completely disregard my diet onboard.

Do they offer gf pasta onboard? I've heard a lot of people get meat without sauce, but on top of gluten free, I'm also a vegetarian. I'm thinking I can have soup, salads, fruit and that they should be able to sautee veggies, rice, pasta and/or tofu. TIA!

WDW = 1996 off property ~ 2000 off property ~ 2008 WL ~ 2009 POP ~ 2010 SSR and POP ~ 2011 off property ~ 2012 off property, POR and ASMusic ~ 2013 SSR ~ 2014 off property ~ 2015 SSR

DCL = 2012 DREAM Double Dip ~ 2014 MAGIC Southern Caribbean

disneydork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
natmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydork3 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've eliminated all gluten and my symptoms have 90% subsided. Although I don't have celiac and won't become violently ill if eaten; I get joint, muscle and deep tissue pain. Obviously, it's a different situation, technically by choice because I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life and decided to cure myself through the food I eat. I could chose to "cheat" and deal with the pain if there was something I REALLY wanted but wouldn't completely disregard my diet onboard.

Do they offer gf pasta onboard? I've heard a lot of people get meat without sauce, but on top of gluten free, I'm also a vegetarian. I'm thinking I can have soup, salads, fruit and that they should be able to sautee veggies, rice, pasta and/or tofu. TIA!
Glad to hear you are feeling better after going gluten free! I've heard they make gf pizza, pasta, desserts, pancakes. I'm sure if you make note ahead of time they will accommodate you
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
ILUVEAP
Earning My Ears

Quote:

They do offer gf pasta onboard. I had it a couple of times onboard the Magic in December. It was a corn pasta, I believe, which I really enjoyed.
ILUVEAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
marshmellow86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Do they offer gf pasta onboard?
Yes. My daughter orders the gf pasta every day (that is basically her lunch.). In the past it has been tinkyada brand (as they brought me the package to review).
marshmellow86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: