Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

I'm staying at Sports for 21 days. I originally thought 'its only me- I just need a shower, a sink, a bed and a TV. I don't need a fancy place to stay' so I booked at the cheapest disney hotel.

However... I've been reading reviews and some people have mentioned: bed bugs, vomit in corridors, bad mousekeeping, 60min+ walk from hotel room to bus stop, broken shower knobs etc.

Are they really that bad?! I thought they looked perfect for a solo teenager. I mean, I hate sports LOL, but it's cheaper than movies/music. And I'm literally gonna be sleeping and showering in there...

I'm now really scared about bed bugs!!! Also, how far away roughly are the rooms from laundry services/check in/food court/bus stop? If its really an hour walk, I'll have to be up VERY early for my 8am breakfast in the magic kingdom!

Currently at Disney World! All Star Sports, 9/4 - 9/25
bxccah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
MackenzieFL
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at them a few times... usually just for a night or two, and I have never found any problems.

I mean, it's basic-- but I've never seen bed bugs and it's always been clean... never saw vomit or litter or anything.

It's not an hour walk... I usually go to All Star Movies and get a room toward the end of the Mighty Duck's building because right across the way basically is the All Star Music bus stop and I hop on that.

But even from there it's only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the big pool & cafeteria... leisurely. Just walk "through" (through the interior, paths between buildings, breezeways etc.) instead of walking "around" (like following the car route around the perimeter of the buildings-- I can see how if people automatically walked the same route they would drive why it would feel so much farther).

Laundry are right by the 2 pools, and the pools are both kinda central. I think you have found a lot of exaggeration. I'm sure there have been bad experiences (like if a kid vomits, it might take a little while before someone gets the report & cleans it up; but it's not like there's vomit and nasty stuff lining the halls).

I would say just check for bed bugs the minute you go in the room if it concerns you (check the creases of the mattress hems and check under the sheets & between blankets. If you don't see anything you'll be fine. If you do, request another room. I tend to do this automatically no matter where I go.

Personally when I go cheap I like to tent camp at Ft. Wilderness because 1) I like tent camping and have all the equipment 2) Ft. Wilderness is a moderate resort with more amenities (hot tub!) and 3) at only about $50 per night, it's a total bargain.

But for me, when I go I barely spend time in the room anyway, I'm always at the pool or out in the parks, DTD, so the All Star resorts are great if you just want a place to drop the bags, shower & sleep.
MackenzieFL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Anyone who has a 60min walk to a bus stop at any Disney resort is doing something wrong, or they walk REALLY slow. The longest one I've had was the 7-8min walk to the Little Mermaid section at AoA.

I've stayed at Sports and Music and they were both fine. If you have problems, tell the front desk and they'll be resolved immediately.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
bearloch
DIS Veteran

as far as Bed Bugs they can be at any hotel no matter the price!! we have stayed at the values and I actually enjoy them more than some of the mod and del because they are so themed the magic carries out to the hotel grounds, rooms etc. it just feels more Disney to me than beach walk which I love but that feels more like a different world to me lol you will have no issues and if you do call the desk!! they were and have always been great for us!!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at Music and Movies, and we like them fine. Music is our favorite, we've stayed there twice. We have never had anything like you describe. Even when our kids were little (3 and 15 months old) , it didn't take us more than 8-10 minutes to walk to the bus stop.

Laundry rooms are in buildings at each of the pools.

Housekeeping issues can happen at any resort, but we haven't had any problems at any of the resorts we've stayed at in eight trips. If your room isn't as clean as it should be, walk to the front desk (in the building with the food court) and explain the problem.

We did have a faucet that leaked once at Pop Century, but a trip to the front desk and about ten minutes of a maintenance employee's time took care of it. If you do have a problem, walk to the front desk, don't call from the room; that will take your call to a call center, even though that isn't how they answer the phone (this is any Disney resort, not just the values). Any hotel in any city can have bed bugs; they come in with travellers and they don't discriminate. I don't think it is a common problem at Disney, but I do check the beds before we move in for our trip.

The value resorts are basic, nothing fancy, but they are not dumps by any means. They aren't dirty, run down, or ignored.

We are staying at a moderate this year, but we will return to the AS resorts in the future without hesitation.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately,all the "bad press" that the Values receive is warranted.

That's why I have only stayed at All-Star Sports that 17 times.

But,really,once you get past them not having indoor plumbing,they're really not too bad.
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
mmmagic7754
Mouseketeer

Nothing to do at the values late evenings. Sit in the giant food courts or hang by crowded pools
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmagic7754 View Post
Nothing to do at the values late evenings. Sit in the giant food courts or hang by crowded pools
Watch the nightly movie, hang out at the pool bar, play games in the arcade, swim in one of the quiet pools if you want a little less noise. No, not a thing to do.

I've stayed at both the Sports and the Music, and have never seen vomit in the walkways or broken doorknobs. And mousekeeping at the Music was very good! I had to call down for more towels 2 nights in a row, and the second night they showed up with enough towels for a week! The CM I had spoken with on the phone was a bit of a smarty pants, and I laughed so hard when I saw all those towels!

I would have no problem whatsoever staying at an All Star resort again.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
Anyone who has a 60min walk to a bus stop at any Disney resort is doing something wrong, or they walk REALLY slow. The longest one I've had was the 7-8min walk to the Little Mermaid section at AoA.

I've stayed at Sports and Music and they were both fine. If you have problems, tell the front desk and they'll be resolved immediately.
I agree, that's crazy!

We have stayed at all levels of resorts at WDW and, believe it or not, we really prefer the values now. When the kids were little we used to get 2 connecting rooms at The Poly. As the years have gone by and the kids have gotten bigger and turned into Disney adults and Disney has jacked their prices up, we tried out POR and CBR and then the values. Out kids loved the values! The Poly will probably always be my favorite, but I really like the values too - we only sleep and shower there to, maybe a swim or two.. All Star Movies is our favorite and then Pop. Liked the Little Mermaid rooms, but they were too far from the bus stop after a 12 hour park day. We have always had clean rooms and good customer service at the values.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

I think someone must have had a bad trip and then felt the need to immensely exaggerate. Bed bugs can be an issue anywhere. We've stayed at all three All Stars and never had any sort of issue w/ bugs of any type. As others have said, there is not a 60 minute walk to a bus stop. You're looking at 10 minutes tops and that's at a very leisurely pace. Food courts are great at all three. The rooms have been clean, except once at Music we got a room that spelled really really really horribly... and they moved us promptly to another room. Actually, they upgraded us to a suite. We were feeling pretty spoiled by the end of the week. Customer service has been great at all three. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at any of them.

Have a fantastic time!
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
KELLY
DIS Veteran

Op don't worry. UM not 60 minutes more like 7 max. We are staying at pop for 17 days and there is 4 of us. We love it. I haven't stayed at the sports but I'm sure it is more than fine. People tend to throw the values under the bus.

We did have to book a room only for 2 nights. Then we booked our FD Package for the max 14 nights.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxccah View Post
I'm staying at Sports for 21 days. I originally thought 'its only me- I just need a shower, a sink, a bed and a TV. I don't need a fancy place to stay' so I booked at the cheapest disney hotel.

However... I've been reading reviews and some people have mentioned: bed bugs, vomit in corridors, bad mousekeeping, 60min+ walk from hotel room to bus stop, broken shower knobs etc.

Are they really that bad?! I thought they looked perfect for a solo teenager. I mean, I hate sports LOL, but it's cheaper than movies/music. And I'm literally gonna be sleeping and showering in there...

I'm now really scared about bed bugs!!! Also, how far away roughly are the rooms from laundry services/check in/food court/bus stop? If its really an hour walk, I'll have to be up VERY early for my 8am breakfast in the magic kingdom!
Wow 21 days how exciting for you!
To answer the question....we have stayed in all 3 and we really prefer Music, we are music lovers so that may be why it tops our list. It also seems less crowded as some of it is suites and those don't seem to get used as much. As for Sports we enjoyed it as well. Not a long walk to bus, good food court and fun activities.
We have stayed at all the values (except AOA which is in Oct) and all the mods and some of the deluxes and have NEVER had an issue with bed bugs!
The only thing I will say about the values maintenance wise is don't get anything near the toilet while flushing.....those toilets could suck down a small animal! First time we used one i was like oh my that's a powerful flusher!!! craziness....
Enjoy your trip!
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
AuroraRora
Princess

Are you sure it's the cheapest? I've booked 3 Value trips now and sports always cost the same as Music, although for some reason Movies seems more expensive. When I stayed at Music I didn't have many problems, sometimes it was loud with cheerleaders and the pool was a bit crowded, but nothing major. If you had any unlikely problems like broken showers etc, the front desk would be falling over themselves to move you to a better room! However, for my next trip (with Sports and Music costing the same) it was only $8/night extra to upgrade to Pop and I'm looking forward to that.

If you're not into sports I'd definitely call and ask about the price of changing to Music, I think you might find its the same, or a couple of dollars more at most.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all of the Values (actually staying 2 nights at Sports next week and the rest of our vacation will be at AOA) We have stayed at Fw, the mods, and some deluxes. We really like the Values. They serve our purpose somewhere to sleep we don't spend much time at the resorts, although this trip we are going to spend some time at AOA. I love their theming and they really do make you feel like your in Disney. I think the resort will be perfect for you. If you have any problems front desk will be happy to help you.

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
JeannieKY
Tink fan

They were refurbishing the Sports in January. It was a perfectly fine place to stay. We were in the football section and it was very handy to the food court. Have a great trip! 21 days...amazing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: