Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Erikarate
married her prince

What food/cuisine does Disney need, or need improved?

I would love if they had some more genuine New England food over at Yacht and Beach - I live in CT and we have fantastic fried clams (and Jimmy's fans here??). I like Cape May Clam Bake, but not really for the seafood, ironically. I see on the menus that there are lobster and shrimp rolls at Hurricane Hanna's, but the fact they have shrimp on them suggests they're not authentic...anyone have them?

I would also like to see more breakfast "to go" places. We aren't big breakfast people, but like to grab something light and keep moving...anyone remember when Starring rolls had fresh smoked salmon and bagels? We prefer this type of food vs. pastries for breakfast. Maybe some healthier egg sandwiches (ie egg white, turkey sausage etc.).

Although the pizza at many of the table service places is good (i.e. Mama Melrose, Via Napoli etc.) I would love to see some improvement in the CS pizza places. They are kinda awful Maybe make some nice NY-style pizza and sell by the slice??

Anyway...anyone have some thoughts???
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

For lunches I'd like to see a nice NY style deli (maybe near the NY section of DHS?). A QS eatery that specializes in good made to order subs would be nice also. We like the variety of TS restaurants for dinner, but in some cases the quality of the food could be improved.
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

A great Burger is what I miss most when visiting Disney.

I believe that I saw a rumor of Shake Shack coming to Downtown Disney after the re-themeing into Disney Springs.

In my opinion, places that have 'great' burgers include Five Guys, In-n-Out, etc.

It doesn't need to be fancy.

Also, I always wondered why Chinese food is so poorly represented at Disney. The rolling carts of a dim sum parlor would work well for both adults and children in EPCOT.

ABC Commisary (2.5-stars*-food), Akershus (3.0*; 5* princess interaction), Artist Point (3.5*), blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Casey's (4* - Qwik Serve Overstuffed Pulled Pork & Slaw w/ Hot Dog), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (3.0* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flame Tree BBQ (3.0* + .5* for taking TiW), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.0* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4.0*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie (4* - French pastry), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value 1-Credit/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Spice Road Table (3.5*), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (2.5*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

2015 ADR's: blueZoo, Il Mulino, Brown Derby (Fantasmic), Coral Reef, Be Our Guest (dinner), Sci-Fi Theater (child's first time), Tusker House (family first time), and 1900 Park Fare (family first time). On 'to dine' list: Monsieur Paul, Ohana, Yachtman's Steakhouse.
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
marybogue
Mouseketeer

I realize that The Garden Grill, Sunshine Seasons, and The Wave are already focused on sustainable agriculture and health, but I would like to see even more of that in the World. More organic selections and whole foods would be a very welcomed addition, IMHO!

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

There is quite a bit I would like to see added or changed when it comes to food at WDW. However, the one thing I would like to see the most is a buffet that serves breakfast all day. I love breakfast food but I really don't like to eat in the mornings. I am a HUGE fan of "Brinner". I would love to see one of these character dinners, which are all pretty awful food-wise, scrap their dinner menu and just serve their breakfast menu all day.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

I'd like to see Thai or Indian food (Sanaa doesn't count) somewhere on property. I second JZCubed's dim sum idea too.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Annie78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
There is quite a bit I would like to see added or changed when it comes to food at WDW. However, the one thing I would like to see the most is a buffet that serves breakfast all day. I love breakfast food but I really don't like to eat in the mornings. I am a HUGE fan of "Brinner". I would love to see one of these character dinners, which are all pretty awful food-wise, scrap their dinner menu and just serve their breakfast menu all day.
This would be amazing.
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Owlpost23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
That would be a great idea! It could be something like "Pajama Party With Pooh and Friends"-breakfasty things-servers in sleep pants,mimosas,etc..Something fun and different.
Owlpost23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Alice Sr.
BWV 1998 BCV 2002 SSR 2006 AKL 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
I realize that The Garden Grill, Sunshine Seasons, and The Wave are already focused on sustainable agriculture and health, but I would like to see even more of that in the World. More organic selections and whole foods would be a very welcomed addition, IMHO!
I agree, another vote for more organic options.
Alice Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
mare07
Earning My Ears

There are some great ideas floating around this thread! I second the dim sum and Indian food contributions. As far as food lacking, I agree with the poster that said Disney is not that great at representing US food. I always thought it would be cool if there were a Taste of America place where you could get various items from different US Regions, like, Italian Beef, lobster rolls, BBQ, pork chile verde, etc.

I also think they are lacking the Mexican food department. I think it's all super Americanized and they could do well to amp it up a bit, especially in the spice department. Street tacos instead of the regular tacos would be a start.

MEd-Arizona State University 2011
Dinoland Attractions/Trainer: 2008-2009
WDWCP: 2006

GO ILLINI!
mare07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Erikarate
married her prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post

I believe that I saw a rumor of Shake Shack coming to Downtown Disney after the re-themeing into Disney Springs.

In my opinion, places that have 'great' burgers include Five Guys, In-n-Out, etc.

Also, I always wondered why Chinese food is so poorly represented at Disney. The rolling carts of a dim sum parlor would work well for both adults and children in EPCOT.
It would be nice to have a great burger to go place at DD, I agree. Someplace with nice fresh cut fires etc.

Honestly I have given up on Chinese food in Florida...especially since here in the New York area we have very good Chinese. BUT it would be nice!!
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post

HK style Dim sum (has to be good and not over priced) would be a great option

I would say they need a burger option or a chicken sandwich option on all menus. We are fine without it, we go to Pecos bills when we want a burger, but sometimes we are limited on where we dine if traveling with others and there are picky eaters involved. One example, I personally love Marrakesh but my son won't eat anything there and it is one that we often skip
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Erikarate
married her prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Queen View Post
For lunches I'd like to see a nice NY style deli (maybe near the NY section of DHS?). A QS eatery that specializes in good made to order subs would be nice also. We like the variety of TS restaurants for dinner, but in some cases the quality of the food could be improved.
Definitely. I would love that.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikarate View Post
I would love if they had some more genuine New England food over at Yacht and Beach - I live in CT and we have fantastic fried clams (and Jimmy's fans here??).
I grew up ten minutes from Jimmy's and Phyllis'. But I am partial to Sea Swirl in Mystic now.

Aaaanyway....as for the question at hand, how Canada cannot have a take away counter featuring Schwartz' Smoked Meat is a mystery to me. It would be the most popular CS venue in the World Showcase, oh.... about 5 minutes after it opened.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Erikarate
married her prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I grew up ten minutes from Jimmy's and Phyllis'. But I am partial to Sea Swirl in Mystic now.

Aaaanyway....as for the question at hand, how Canada cannot have a take away counter featuring Schwartz' Smoked Meat is a mystery to me. It would be the most popular CS venue in the World Showcase, oh.... about 5 minutes after it opened.
I've never been to Sea Whirl as it is pretty far from me. I now live in Darien, but lived in Cheshire when I was little. We used to go to Jimmy's in Hamden before they closed. My DH and I will go to W Haven on occasion because we love the FRESH taste of the clams there.

I wish I could bring all our fellow DIS'ers and foodies to Connecticut/new England to taste what fried clams, clam chowder, and Lobster Rolls are suppose to taste like. I'm sure everyone feels like that about their regional cuisine!!!

I agree with everyone that Tapas are awesome!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: