Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you do with passport while out at port?
Take passport out to port 34 28.33%
Leave passport in stateroom safe 86 71.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
HueyDeweyLouie
Earning My Ears

Passport @ Port-- Poll

All "BC/ID vs. Passport" debates put aside...

Lets get a poll going for those exercising their choice to travel with a passport. Which do you do:
  1. Take passport out to port
  2. Or leave passport in stateroom safe

I've read reports that DCL themselves will check your stateroom for your passports & leave it with the port officer (if you miss the ship). On the other hand for the uptight, you may want your PP with you at all times for emergency/peace of mind. Whatever the case is, I wanted to see what people did with their passport while out of the ship.
HueyDeweyLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I just feel a lot better with the passport with me. In my mind my drivers license does not mean anything out of the US but my passport is identification all over the world. I do not know if that is correct but that is how I feel.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

Left ours in the cabin safe. We thought the chances of losing it or having it stolen were greater than needed it. We have had two experiences, once in England our passports were stolen. Once in Paris I found a teenage girl with her had in my purse. I think she was looking for my wallet, but she could have taken my passport in the process. So, my thoughts re bad stuff always go to passport being stolen.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyDeb View Post
Left ours in the cabin safe. We thought the chances of losing it or having it stolen were greater than needed it. We have had two experiences, once in England our passports were stolen. Once in Paris I found a teenage girl with her had in my purse. I think she was looking for my wallet, but she could have taken my passport in the process. So, my thoughts re bad stuff always go to passport being stolen.
This is my view as well. Generally speaking, the chances of having a passport stolen are greater than the chance of me needing it.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

I made photocopies of ours and had them with us..just in case.

I didn't want them to be lost/stolen.
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post

This is what we do. I had my passport stolen once in Spain. Now I leave the actual passport at the hotel and carry a photocopy with me.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
sunshine1259
DIS Veteran

Quote:

June 2004, WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Sept 2007, WDW Beach Club Resort, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Sept 2008, Bahama 4-Day Wonder
Aug 2009, WDW Port Orleans Riverside, Bahama 3-Day Wonder
Oct 2010, WDW Caribbean Beach Resort, Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Magic
Jan 2011, LA Cruise to Nowhere 2-Day Wonder
Aug 2011, Alaska 7-Day Wonder
Sept 2012, Disneyland, Grand Californian Villas, Pixar California Coast Cruise 7-Day Wonder
Oct 20, 2012, WDW Animal Kingdom Villas, Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Fantasy

Numbers 10 and 11, B2B Dec 2013 3/4-Day Dream
sunshine1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
sambycat
DIS Veteran

i checked “leave it in room” but it really depends on where we are going and what we will be doing. i bring some kind of id with me. we left it onboard when we went on a snorkeling thing - i wasn’t sure how we would lock things up.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We do the same thing.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
ASJMom
Earning My Ears

I'd leave them in the room safe. I agree with one of the PP; copy and bring that along. It just another thing you don't have to worry about.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

ASJMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
ludari
DIS Veteran

I usually keep a copy of my passport on me and my orginal is locked away in the safe. I also keep one of those passport ID which is only good in certain countries but I just look at it as another form of ID.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
I usually keep a copy of my passport on me and my orginal is locked away in the safe. I also keep one of those passport ID which is only good in certain countries but I just look at it as another form of ID.
I do that too...I am paranoid about losing my passport.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

When we cruised the Med in 2011 DCL sent a memo around saying NOT to take our passports off the ship. We took color photocopies with us instead and left them locked up in our safe. It was also posted on the website under the European cruise information.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
When we cruised the Med in 2011 DCL sent a memo around saying NOT to take our passports off the ship. We took color photocopies with us instead and left them locked up in our safe. It was also posted on the website under the European cruise information.
Did they give a reason for this advice? "In case you miss the ship we want to be sure you get to spend a day at the local embassy trying to get new documents"

Some advice is made to be ignored IMHO
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
I have heard this many times. We will be leaving ours on the ship in the safe. There is much more risk associated with the passport being stolen. In November 2009 some people who were on a Disney excursion in Nassau were robbed by gunpoint. Some of them had their passports stollen. In that situation, what are you going to do? Fight them for it back? If someone else gets your passport you have a big mess on your hands. If it is on the boat, it is safe and it can be retrieved for you if necessary.

I always make 2 photo copies of all of our passports before leaving the country. Before I leave home I place a copy in our safe so that my mom and dad can get it if I need it, I take the other copy on our trip so that I may have that on me at all times when off the ship. The passport stays locked in a safe. We did this in Europe on our honeymoon as well. It is actually what is recommended by most cruise ships and I did see that it is what Passporters recommends in there DCL guide.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: