Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 150

Question re: something one of the CMs said to me

Good morning all! We just got back from our surprise trip to Disney and had a GREAT time despite a few obstacles. Thank goodness my BIL took his daughter to the park on our arrival day and had to wait in a 2+ hour line for Space Mountain . . . they were more than willing to listen to me and my Touring Plans advice for the rest of the trip and we barely waited for anything! Except once . . .

On our first full day in the MK, we went from ride to ride with little wait. We had decided we were just about done and while walking through NFL, checked the app for the LM ride time wait. It was listed as 25 minutes posted, 21 expected. We walked up to the ride and sure enough it was posted at 25 minutes. About 25 minutes in, we were still in the outside portion of the queue and my youngest had to use the potty (thank you falling water!) I excused the two of us from the line (had to use all of my strength to keep her from kicking anyone else since she was upset that we were leaving "her best princess ever"!) We went over to Rapunzel's tower, did our business and headed back to the line. I spoke with the CM at the front and asked if there was anything that we could do, my BIL was ahead of us in the line, I had to leave with my youngest etc. He chuckled and said that he remembered her and to go on ahead through the line. Luckily, most of the people we were passing also remembered my little screaming banshee and let us through with no issue.

By the time we caught up to my BIL, the group had just made it in to the covered area and we had been waiting for about 35 minutes. The line continued to inch forward and we got into the room where you load after waiting for about an hour.

A CM who was standing in the middle of the room made a comment about seeing lots of grumpy faces. She made eye contact directly with me and so I answered. I asked her about how much longer it would take to load from the point where we were standing. She kind of shrugged her shoulders and said that it shouldn't be too much longer. I told her that we had gotten in line because the wait time was posted as 25 minutes and that we had been waiting for over an hour already. She apologized and said that it was just an estimate. I told her it was one thing to make a choice to get in line with 4 young kids for a 25 minute wait but it was entirely different to wait for over an hour. She then told me that they have no control over the wait time that is listed, that it's all computerized and they can't do anything about it. At that point we were moving again and we got on the ride about 10 minutes later.

I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed. If not, what is the point? FWIW, when we left the wait time was still listed at 25 minutes and the outside line was all the way filled.

That was seriously the ONLY Disney downside to our trip. We had some other rough bumps, but those were totally out of Disney's control.
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Good morning all! We just got back from our surprise trip to Disney and had a GREAT time despite a few obstacles. Thank goodness my BIL took his daughter to the park on our arrival day and had to wait in a 2+ hour line for Space Mountain . . . they were more than willing to listen to me and my Touring Plans advice for the rest of the trip and we barely waited for anything! Except once . . .

On our first full day in the MK, we went from ride to ride with little wait. We had decided we were just about done and while walking through NFL, checked the app for the LM ride time wait. It was listed as 25 minutes posted, 21 expected. We walked up to the ride and sure enough it was posted at 25 minutes. About 25 minutes in, we were still in the outside portion of the queue and my youngest had to use the potty (thank you falling water!) I excused the two of us from the line (had to use all of my strength to keep her from kicking anyone else since she was upset that we were leaving "her best princess ever"!) We went over to Rapunzel's tower, did our business and headed back to the line. I spoke with the CM at the front and asked if there was anything that we could do, my BIL was ahead of us in the line, I had to leave with my youngest etc. He chuckled and said that he remembered her and to go on ahead through the line. Luckily, most of the people we were passing also remembered my little screaming banshee and let us through with no issue.

By the time we caught up to my BIL, the group had just made it in to the covered area and we had been waiting for about 35 minutes. The line continued to inch forward and we got into the room where you load after waiting for about an hour.

A CM who was standing in the middle of the room made a comment about seeing lots of grumpy faces. She made eye contact directly with me and so I answered. I asked her about how much longer it would take to load from the point where we were standing. She kind of shrugged her shoulders and said that it shouldn't be too much longer. I told her that we had gotten in line because the wait time was posted as 25 minutes and that we had been waiting for over an hour already. She apologized and said that it was just an estimate. I told her it was one thing to make a choice to get in line with 4 young kids for a 25 minute wait but it was entirely different to wait for over an hour. She then told me that they have no control over the wait time that is listed, that it's all computerized and they can't do anything about it. At that point we were moving again and we got on the ride about 10 minutes later.

I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed. If not, what is the point? FWIW, when we left the wait time was still listed at 25 minutes and the outside line was all the way filled.

That was seriously the ONLY Disney downside to our trip. We had some other rough bumps, but those were totally out of Disney's control.
Stuff happens.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
sassie_kat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 150

Thanks Robo! I know that stuff happens, I was just curious as to the validity of the statement that local (to the ride) CMs have no control over the wait time listed. It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.

And, totally OT but boy did I look like the hero at EPCOT on our first morning when I spotted the RFID entries that had NO lines after my BIL had gotten in a long line for the old style tickets! It was funny because he refused to get out of line at first, sure that I was incorrect and we'd be sent right back to an even longer line. He changed his tune real quickly when he saw my family scanning our tickets and walking right on in.
sassie_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
littlejen22
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Thanks Robo! I know that stuff happens, I was just curious as to the validity of the statement that local (to the ride) CMs have no control over the wait time listed. It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.

And, totally OT but boy did I look like the hero at EPCOT on our first morning when I spotted the RFID entries that had NO lines after my BIL had gotten in a long line for the old style tickets! It was funny because he refused to get out of line at first, sure that I was incorrect and we'd be sent right back to an even longer line. He changed his tune real quickly when he saw my family scanning our tickets and walking right on in.
Which rides have RDIF lines?
__________________
WDW - 1989, 2002, 2010, 2011



littlejen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
LisaTN
DIS Veteran
 
LisaTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejen22 View Post
Which rides have RDIF lines?
Not rides... the turntiles at the park entrance
__________________
1981 - Treehouse Villas, I was 6yo
1986 - I think Treehouse Villas, I was 11
1994 - off property
2005 - Coronado Springs (couples trip with my then fiance, now DH)
Nov 2011 - POR, DDs first trip
Feb 2012 - POR
Feb 2013 - POR
**July 29-August 3, 2013 - Bonnet Creek
**August 3 - August 6th, 2013 - Pop Century
**Oct 6-11, 2013 - Pop Century, MNSSHP
LisaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups
 
TLSnell1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,974

Once upon a time, some blamed inaccurate wait times on late FP users. Personally, I believe large discrepancies occur when the rides go down. At least, this was our experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Stuff happens.
But, usually to me... And OFTEN!
__________________

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Once upon a time, some blamed inaccurate wait times on late FP users. Personally, I believe large discrepancies occur when the rides go down. At least, this was our experience.
But, usually to me... And OFTEN!
FP is part of it. They issue a certain number of FPs and take that into account when they determine wait times. When people do not make their FP time then they need to be crammed in and this is the reason they are now trying to enforce FP times. Plus they are now issuing many more FPs then they use to (my observation, no real data). That will also make the wait time slide. It has been suggested many times that the wait times are very inaccurate with the disney apps as the times come from disney but outside apps like the one from UT are much more accurate as the people waiting in line post those times.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 03-21-2013 at 10:55 AM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
FP is part of it. They issue a certain number of FPs and take that into account when they determine wait times. When people do not make their FP time then they need to be crammed in and this is the reason they are now trying to enforce FP times.
What?
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Traveliz
DIS Veteran
 
Traveliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 8,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
Thanks Robo! I know that stuff happens, I was just curious as to the validity of the statement that local (to the ride) CMs have no control over the wait time listed. It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.
And, totally OT but boy did I look like the hero at EPCOT on our first morning when I spotted the RFID entries that had NO lines after my BIL had gotten in a long line for the old style tickets! It was funny because he refused to get out of line at first, sure that I was incorrect and we'd be sent right back to an even longer line. He changed his tune real quickly when he saw my family scanning our tickets and walking right on in.
Yes that is true - the CMs right there have no control over what time the return time is listed.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran
 
juliebug1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz

Yes that is true - the CMs right there have no control over what time the return time is listed.

Liz
ITA. I don't think Disney would allow the possibility of a disgruntled CM having absolute control over the ability to put up the wait time.
__________________

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
ITA. I don't think Disney would allow the possibility of a disgruntled CM having absolute control over the ability to put up the wait time.
Or, even a gruntled one.
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 44,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
I really miss the days of just wandering the parks, getting on rides as you encountered them, and popping in to a character meal when your feet got tired. Disney shouldn't be stressful!
We should probably stop talking positively about Disney then, to keep all those other pesky people away.


Quote:
I thought that the point of those little red squares was to help have an accurate wait time listed.
It is. But they have to get to the end CM before they are counted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie_kat View Post
It was also odd to me that the expected wait time didn't change even though there were several of the red line timers that went through, both ahead of and behind our group.
If they were in front of you, well, you still weren't at the front when you had the conversation with the CM. So those hadn't made it to the end CM yet. And of course it's the same for the cards behind you.

And you don't know how many of them were pocketed as "what're these for?" souvenirs or dropped or whatever.



I always assume that the time estimate has changed while I'm IN the line, if it's different like that.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 19,025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Stuff happens.
Frequently.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,392

I saw something strange at Space Mountain when I was there 2 weeks ago. I had a fastpass so it didn't matter to me but the standby line said 80 minutes. There was a long line outside. I went through the tunnel on the fastpass side and there was no one in the tunnel! The queue on the platform on the left side was full, fastpass went to the ride, not bad line. I just didn't understand why they had people lined up outside and no one in the tunnel, they added the interactive stations and no one was there to play with them.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 76,470

Now that we're deep into this discussion...

What of the situation very near park closing time of the "Wait Time" showing an artificially L-O-N-G wait time so as to discourage guests from deciding to get into that line as the park is about to close?

If the CM's at the attraction can't manually change the Wait Time, doesn't that seem odd that the posted time is cranked up so high?

Does somebody get called on the phone and is THAT person, from a "central location," able to manually crank in a bogus extra-long wait time?

Is it a standard policy and is it "built-into" the computer software to kick in an extra wait time at a certain time of the evening?

Or, is what I'm talking about just a Disney Myth and doesn't really happen?
__________________
.


.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.