DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Looking at DVC but have several questions still

So I looked at "New" at Disney website and looked "used" at a few places. So what is the difference in doing it one way versus the other. Looking at AKL. When I looked online I saw a date and IIRC its 50 years from the start date. So is that a factor?

The big benefit I see with these is being able to go but also save by doing some food fixing at the resort. Just loking at the numbers there is a big difference in a studio and 1 bedroom. The big diffference is the studio is a kitchenette. Can somebody define this for me.

Lastly from a points stand point I am a family of 5 with twin 9 year olds and a 15 year old and was looking at the 200 mark. I see differnt ones for resale with differnt months can somebody explain this. I know at 11 months out I can book my home resort and at 7 months anywhere else. What other concerns should I be aware of.

Thanks in advance
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
quandrea
DIS Veteran

We have twins and another child as well. We have 700 points and travel about 23 days per year in one bedrooms. We started with 200 when we had one child, but it wasn't enough. YOu do save by doing some meal prep, even if it's just breakfast and snacks. We love having the kitchen. The convenience of grabbing a piece of fruit or a drink whenever you feel like it is great. We always bring snacks to the park in the mornings.

The one bedrooms also have in unit laundry. I do laundry every day and pack very little.

While 700 points may be way more than you need, I suggest going for more than 200. Do the math--figure out when you might want to travel and roughly how many points you would need for a one bedroom, then add a few more to that figure. That should get you your magic number. We have 700 becuase my husband and I want to spend Jan Feb down there in a studio when we retire. May add on because I'm sure we'll want a one bedroom.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
So I looked at "New" at Disney website and looked "used" at a few places. So what is the difference in doing it one way versus the other.
hee. your room is going to have already been "used" whether you pay double to buy direct or save money with the resale route.

resale buyers lose a few trading options (mostly disney cruises and hotels like the poly) which are fairly expensive anyway. no big loss.

Quote:
Looking at AKL. When I looked online I saw a date and IIRC its 50 years from the start date. So is that a factor?
nope - AKV expires in 2057 whether you buy direct or resale.

but you do need to look at resale contracts to make sure they are not stripped (whether they have used current/borrowed pts already).

Quote:
The big benefit I see with these is being able to go but also save by doing some food fixing at the resort. Just loking at the numbers there is a big difference in a studio and 1 bedroom. The big diffference is the studio is a kitchenette. Can somebody define this for me.
studios are not an option for a family of 5. look at allears FAQ on DVC resorts to see what is included in a full kitchen in a DVC resort.

Quote:
Lastly from a points stand point I am a family of 5 with twin 9 year olds and a 15 year old and was looking at the 200 mark. I see differnt ones for resale with differnt months can somebody explain this. I know at 11 months out I can book my home resort and at 7 months anywhere else. What other concerns should I be aware of.
UY month tells you when your banking window closes. it's better to travel early in your UY (i have an Oct UY and like to travel in Nov and Dec), and ideally never travel in the last few months of your UY (for me, July/Aug/Sept - too hot anyway). traveling late in your UY makes it more likely to lose pts if you need to cancel a reservation. if you never cancel, UY will likely never be an issue.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
So I looked at "New" at Disney website and looked "used" at a few places. So what is the difference in doing it one way versus the other. Looking at AKL. When I looked online I saw a date and IIRC its 50 years from the start date. So is that a factor?

Thanks in advance
I've always bought directly through DVC, usually when they were having a promotion or while on a cruise so I got great deals and/or on-board credits. We own 400 points at Aulani and Saratoga Springs and we just got on the wait list for 50 points at Grand Californian. *fingers crossed*

If you're going to take a one-week vacation once per year to WDW and stay in a 1-bedroom, off season, 200 points will be enough. If you ever want to stay longer, travel over the summer (yuck), or get a larger room, you will definitely need more points.

We stay at Old Key West because it's quiet and the rooms are huge. We always get a 1-bedroom because, like a PP said, it has a full washer/dryer which saves money on airline baggage fees. We also use the kitchen for breakfast and snacks and it's come in handy when we had my daughter's birthday party and some relatives who live in the area joined us for the evening. There is also a jacuzzi tub which my DH and I love (big enough for 2! ) AKL is a great resort and almost always has availability. If you can afford BLT, you might think about that one because it's almost impossible to get into unless you own there.

Hope this helps!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

kPetty725 I see you have multiple resorts how does that work?

Say I buy 200 now and then get 50 at California does this mean I can use 250 overall but I have home resort rights at both?

The reason I started at 200 was simply the price point and at my current spot in life getting a week off is about all I can get and looking at AKL I can do a week all but Spring break, Christmas week and April1-6. Dont know what happens in April but know Christmas is a zoo and so is spring break.

Chalee94

I was interested in the studio if my wife and I went with out the kids(we can only hope) or if we went with a larger party I could get 2 of them for 200. If thats possible.

For the UY one thats listed now is March so the best time go go is March, April, May to utilize it and not get stuck with points?

I like March as its my birthday and May is all 3 kids birthday.

Lastly how many years can one bank?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Reread some post and saw BLT is hard to get.

What does BLT have that makes it such a draw?

Guess whats the pros/cons of the DVC's

I get AKL is away from it all but the scenery is my draw.

I understand Boardwalk being near Epcot is a draw.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70
Reread some post and saw BLT is hard to get.

What does BLT have that makes it such a draw?

Guess whats the pros/cons of the DVC's

I get AKL is away from it all but the scenery is my draw.

I understand Boardwalk being near Epcot is a draw.
All the resorts with close access to a park can be tough to get at certain times of the year:
BLT -- you can walk to MK and monorail to Epcot. It can be tough (but not impossible if you budget for a lake view villa) to get from late September through mid-January. During that time, you have the Halloween and Christmas parties at MK and the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot, then the holidays and in January, the marathon.

BCV -- It's downright impossible to get at seven months during the Food and Wine Festival (late September through mid-November) because you can walk from the resort to the World Showcase in Epcot. BCV can also be tough during the summer months because it has arguably the best pool on the property.

BWV -- it can be tough during F&W, but not always impossible because it's bigger than BCV. You can walk to Epcot and DHS easily from this resort.

VWL -- it has a boat to MK and a boat to the Contemporary. This is resort is small as well, which can make it really tough to get into from mid-November through the end of the winter holidays.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
chalee94

Quote:
multiple resorts how does that work?

Say I buy 200 now and then get 50 at California does this mean I can use 250 overall but I have home resort rights at both?
not exactly. at 11 months out, it's like you have 2 separate contracts.

so if i own 200 OKW pts and 25 BLT pts and want to book BLT at 11 months out, i can only use pts from the 25 pt BLT contract. if i wanted to book OKW at 11 months out, i can only use pts from the 200 pt OKW contract.

if you buy them under the same membership number, then at 7 months out (not 11), you can combine pts from both contracts to book whatever is available.

Quote:
For the UY one thats listed now is March so the best time go go is March, April, May to utilize it and not get stuck with points?
if you cancel a march reservation with a march UY, you have more options than if you cancel a march reservation with an april UY. yes.

Quote:
Lastly how many years can one bank?
you can bank pts one time only. then they expire at the end of their new UY.

banking and borrowing are final transactions so once you move pts by banking and borrowing, you cannot put the pts back or otherwise move them again.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Chalee thanks for the info on the banking. Seems the max you could have is 3 years that is if you bank 1, use 1 and borrow 1. At this point I wanna get my feet wet and do a year vacation. As I get older and get more time off/retire I will buy more.

Dizbub I looked at the DVC site again and it is Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas, didnt realize there was two.

Thanks for the info about the 5th person I was avoiding those that will not fit 5.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
chalee94

Quote:
Chalee thanks for the info on the banking. Seems the max you could have is 3 years that is if you bank 1, use 1 and borrow 1.
yes.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:

Dizbub I looked at the DVC site again and it is Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas, didnt realize there was two.

Thanks for the info about the 5th person I was avoiding those that will not fit 5.
Sorry, I should have said AKV Kidani. The other one is AKV Jambo House and that is actually at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Kidani 1 bedroom has the sleeper chair for sure.

Also it should be mentioned that AKV Kidani and BLT have 2 full bathrooms in their 1 bedrooms.
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:

Thanks in advance
The end date is the same at all resorts, bought direct or resale. You may want to buy at a newer resort, like SSR, AKV and BLT to have a longer life on your contract.

The kitchenette in the studios have a small refrigerator, microwave, toaster and a coffee pot along with a small bar sink. They provide paper plates, plasticware, paper towels, a dish towel, dish soap and a small basket of sugar, creamer and some coffee (2 potfuls if you're lucky). Full kitchens have a fullsize stove, larger fridge and dishes, cutlery, pots and pans, most everything you need in a kitchen. You can save quite a bit of money cooking meals in your villa, even in a studio. Bring an electric skillet and you can cook most anything. We bring our own coffee, filters and sugar/creamer wherever we stay.

It looks like you will be staying in 1 bedrooms because of the size of your family. AKV, BLT and OKW all have sleeper chairs in the living rooms so they officially sleep 5. SSR, VWL, BCV and BWV all sleep 4 but will allow a 5th person but won't provide bedding for them, you will have to bring your own pillow, blanket, sheets and towels for them. Some people bring air beds/mattresses. Not much room for them.

Your Use Year is really only when you receive your yearly allotment of points into your account and determines your banking deadline. Any unused points have to be banked 4 months before your next UY starts.

Lots to learn. Keep reading.
DizBub is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: