Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,453

Arrow For those who drive to Disneyland- road trip traditions

We'll be driving from SLC to Anahein with a stop in Vegas overnight. Just wondering what some of your road trip traditions are from food to movies, game, music, anything.....

- Viav Las Vegas by Elvis on as we head into Vegas
- We always seem to watch Mary Poopins and Aladdin
- Beef jerky and sliced apples with fruit dip are a staple. As well as cheez n crackers though that's painful to admit. Lunchables too. And sunflower seeds.
- A Whole New World playing when we pull into the DLR
- pin trading with each other in the car before we even arrive
- chatting about who wants to ride what first
- spotting the Matterhorn from the freeway.


What are some of your favorite road trip traditions?
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one
 
ImTooExcitedToSleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 10,072

I drive down from Fresno about twice a month (unless I take the train).

I always have a bag or two of sunflower seeds for the drive....they keep me awake.

I always stop at the same places to use the bathroom and if I stop to eat it's typically In 'n Out Burger.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran
 
aliceindisneyland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep
I drive down from Fresno about twice a month (unless I take the train).

I always have a bag or two of sunflower seeds for the drive....they keep me awake.

I always stop at the same places to use the bathroom and if I stop to eat it's typically In 'n Out Burger.
Haha I drive from Tulare and my tradition is saying, "I should've gone at In N Out" when I try to make it 2:45 without stopping then inevitably hit traffic 20 miles from DL.
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
rowan1813
Disney Princess since birth
 
rowan1813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 303

LOL this is kinda funny. I drive from Visalia and its always tradition to stop at In N Out either at the bottom of the hill or in Castaic, even though we never go to the In N Out in town.
__________________
July 2009!!Halloween 2009! Halloween 2010! March 2011! Nov. 2011!!April 2012!!Halloween 2012!!! Halloween 2013!! Christmas 2013!!!

rowan1813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Thundergod
Mouseketeer
 
Thundergod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 462

Driving 1200 miles to reach Disneyland, one might think we could find some traditions but we don't

Seems the only tradition we may have is stopping in Barstow at IN & OUT burger and we always have to eat Jack n the Box and weinersnitchel
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
lana772
Disneyland Lover
 
lana772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Modesto, Ca
Posts: 2,861

We drive down from the Modesto area. We have a few "traditions". One is playing the alphabet game (you find a word that starts with each letter). Kids have figured out that they need to be on X in Bakersfield. There is a club called X-treme Sports there. Also, we always stop at the Jack-in-the-Box on top of the Grapevine for milkshakes. My kids (and DH) giggle every time they see the sign advertising the Los Pinos Mexican Restaurant. Yes, I am the only one in my family that speaks enough Spanish to not giggle at this. I took a picture last Christmas of the sign. I figured it needed to be in a scrap book.



Lana
lana772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,453

Cute photo Lana.

These are great! We always hit up Jack in the Box in St. George, Utah come to think of it.

Keep them coming. Love reading about our fun traditions.

We have a contest of who can take the best photo of each of the state signs as we enter. I always lose.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
merrysmom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 87

We drive from Utah, too, and we usually stay in Las Vegas and start the second morning with a buffet breakfast, to make sure the minions are full and happy.

I always make my kids a bag of "surprises" they can open along the way. Last time I appliqued Mickey Ears with their initials on black canvas bags- they looked cute and were sturdy. My littles get things like princess Polly Pockets, crayon sets, packages of bandaids (seriously, do you have any idea how long a three year old can stay entertained with a package of bandaids to play with?) and my big kids might get a new DS game or DVD to watch, notebooks and pens, stuff like that.

We stop for photo ops, too- the big gold panning miner in Prymm, NV, the giant thermometer- it's fun to have pictures of my kids there every other year to see how much they've grown.

My husband is a "drive straight through until you get there with no stops and no sidetracks" kind of personality, and I'm more of a "oh, look- what's that over there- don't you think we should go see it?" kind of road tripper, so there is sometimes a little frustration on the drive. I'm thinking this year I may try to get him to agree in advance on a few specific stops on the way, so he can feel like we're going straight to a destination for each stop!

Other than that, we're boring- we do the usual Disney music in the car and watch a Disney movie thing. Mostly, we are just happy to get there with all five children still alive and happy!
__________________
__________________________________
Melissa

merrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Thundergod
Mouseketeer
 
Thundergod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrysmom View Post
My husband is a "drive straight through until you get there with no stops and no sidetracks" kind of personality,
This is me!!

I'm pretty sure if I was riding along with me I would hate me. But since I do 90 percent of the driving I'm all about getting there.
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
merrysmom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
This is me!!

I'm pretty sure if I was riding along with me I would hate me. But since I do 90 percent of the driving I'm all about getting there.
Isn't it funny how different "driving" personalities are? My husband is the kind of person who will stop at a gas station for gas, and be annoyed that I want to unload the kids and let them go to the bathroom and walk around.

I'm sure I make him plenty crazy, too, asking him to do things like, "Let's stop at that Family Dollar and see if it's different from the one in our town." I'm guilty of inventing things I desperately need ("Oh, shoot- I forgot to pack toothbrushes. I'll just run in that Walmart so we won't have to worry about it at the hotel.") just to escape from the car!
__________________
__________________________________
Melissa

merrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 24,453

My hubby is like the rest of yours. You'd think asking to pee was a crime or something. I never get an eye roll like that unless we ask to stop to use the restroom. Now if its coupled with a fuel stop, it's okay.

I'm the same way, I like to check out the silliest stuff. He's like let's just get there. He's the one though that wants to stop in Vegas and roll some dice. I'm glad for that.

When packing snacks like beef jerky and real coveted snacks, I do divide and label their baggies so I don't have to hear *so and so ate my jerky*. They're 16, 14, and 11 and beef jerky is a hot commodity on road trips.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS13 Lily Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Aspoonfullofsugar
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 100

We also drive from the Central Valley and our only tradition is In N Out. It's enough.
Aspoonfullofsugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Thundergod
Mouseketeer
 
Thundergod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrysmom View Post
Isn't it funny how different "driving" personalities are? My husband is the kind of person who will stop at a gas station for gas, and be annoyed that I want to unload the kids and let them go to the bathroom and walk around.

I'm sure I make him plenty crazy, too, asking him to do things like, "Let's stop at that Family Dollar and see if it's different from the one in our town." I'm guilty of inventing things I desperately need ("Oh, shoot- I forgot to pack toothbrushes. I'll just run in that Walmart so we won't have to worry about it at the hotel.") just to escape from the car!

If you traveled with my wife you would think that touring every Wal Mart in the nation was her vacation.
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
luulu1999
DIS Veteran
 
luulu1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MO
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrysmom View Post
We drive from Utah, too, and we usually stay in Las Vegas and start the second morning with a buffet breakfast, to make sure the minions are full and happy.

I always make my kids a bag of "surprises" they can open along the way. Last time I appliqued Mickey Ears with their initials on black canvas bags- they looked cute and were sturdy. My littles get things like princess Polly Pockets, crayon sets, packages of bandaids (seriously, do you have any idea how long a three year old can stay entertained with a package of bandaids to play with?) and my big kids might get a new DS game or DVD to watch, notebooks and pens, stuff like that.

We stop for photo ops, too- the big gold panning miner in Prymm, NV, the giant thermometer- it's fun to have pictures of my kids there every other year to see how much they've grown.

My husband is a "drive straight through until you get there with no stops and no sidetracks" kind of personality, and I'm more of a "oh, look- what's that over there- don't you think we should go see it?" kind of road tripper, so there is sometimes a little frustration on the drive. I'm thinking this year I may try to get him to agree in advance on a few specific stops on the way, so he can feel like we're going straight to a destination for each stop!

Other than that, we're boring- we do the usual Disney music in the car and watch a Disney movie thing. Mostly, we are just happy to get there with all five children still alive and happy!
HAHA we drove from MO and thats how my BF is we didn't get to stop and see anything!!! And I wanted to stop and see all kinds of stuff lol
__________________
Pre Trip Report July 2014http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3237298

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me


Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
Summer 2014-Disneyland Summer trip
luulu1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
VandVsmama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 467

Like another poster, we, too, live in Tucson and will be doing the drive along I-8 between Arizona and San Diego on our way out to Disneyland. This is our 1st Disneyland trip, but we’ve done the I-8-to-San Diego trek many times because we have close relatives who live in the San Diego area. Usually our traditions include:

Just after we’ve left Gila Bend (shortly after you see a road sign that says “No services for 60 miles”), either ODD or YDD announces that she has to go to the bathroom. I mean, seriously, you can set your watch by it. This leads me to another tradition…

….Mommy packing the kiddie port-a-potty in the trunk of the car! When we went a year ago, first it was YDD who had to go. Then while watching YDD do her thing on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, ODD announced that she had to go, too. Good thing Mommy also packs flushable wipes & ziplock bags to store it all in (don’t want to litter in the desert, ya know).

Then 30 min after that, another tradition is that DH has to use the facilities (whatever creosote bush or Palo Verde tree happens to be nearby off the shoulder of the road). At this point, we have yet another tradition…

…Mommy announcing, “Holy cow, can we please just get there already? Does ANYONE ELSE have to pee?” ROFL!

We usually hit up Dateland for another potty stop (you can get date shakes there; it's a small restaurant/gas station literally in the middle of nowhere).

Then we stop on the AZ-side of Yuma to fill up the gas tank (since gas is usually about $0.75/gallon cheaper).

Then we stop on CA-side of Yuma to fill up our bellies at Dave’s BBQ. DH likes to time our departure to get to Yuma around 11am and it’s usually 3 hr from our house in Marana to Yuma.

Then drive drive drive to La Mesa (BIL/SIL’s house). Although we never quite make it without another pit stop. TWO TIMES now we have had to stop at the ONE exit in California that has no services because ODD or YDD has to pee like a racehorse. The port-a-potty really gets a workout, doesn’t it?

Oh yeah, and we pass time with lots of Disney movies in the backseat.
VandVsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: