Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
ColinCodyMom
DIS Veteran

How have families dealt with limited food choices at BC/YC/BW?

Hi all! My family of 4(2 adults and 2 kiddos, 12 and 15) are currently booked at AKL for June. I love this resort and have stayed a couple times before. We have also stayed at CR, BLT, WL, Pop and OKW. I have to say we have enjoyed every stay we've had. I have been contemplating a moderate stay because of the savings (were looking pretty closely at CSR) but I keep being swayed back to the deluxes. I kinda want a change just to see another resort. I've been looking at BC, YC, or BW but all seem to have horrible food options for the morning or quick service. For those with kids who don't enjoy cold cereal, how do you manage with the options at these resorts? Or maybe I should count them out for that reason. There seemed to be a kiosk at boardwalk but I'm not sure where that is in relation to BC. Of course, I love SAB so I'd prefer BC or YC. Every time I get close to a decision, something sways my mind again. It seems that's pretty common on these boards . For anyone with advice who would advocate one resort over another, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

2014 Trip: June 25-July 2 AKL
2013 Trip: June 18-22 AKL and June 22-25 AoA
2011 Trip: July 20-23 CR TPV and July 23-26 BLT
2010 Trips: May 1-6 AKL and May 6-9 POP
2009 Trips: May 6-13 AKL Sep.30-Oct.2 WL
2008 Trip: May Caribe Royale
2007 Trip: August Caribe Royale
2001 Trip: OKW
1998 Trip: OKW
ColinCodyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
sweetcreams
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the BC one year. I loved being so close to the back gate of Epcot, but the buses to other parks picked up at other hotels too, so it was a long ride to MK. The BC Marketplace has quick service food. I remember the flatbread being pretty good, and the veggie sandwich. We didn't eat breakfast there, but they do have hot food like eggs, breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal etc. The BW is right around the lake from there, so we also went to the Bakery, which also has some pretty good breakfast and lunch choices. You can pack oatmeal or dry cereal for the room, or make a stop at the grocery store on your way in if you have a car. If not, try Garden Grocer. They have a website where you can choose exactly what you want and they deliver groceries to your hotel. We used them when staying at the cabins at FW and had really great service, and prompt responses to any questions we had.
sweetcreams is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

The BC marketplace has some breakfast stuff: Along with these menu items, a variety of Grab 'n' Go items are also available, including breakfast cereals, whole fruit, chips and other snacks, and pre-made sandwiches and salads.

Breakfast 7 - 11 a.m.

Scrambled Egg Platter - with bacon, potato casserole and a biscuit $6.79

Breakfast Sandwich - - with bacon, egg, cheese, potato casserole $6.99

Oatmeal $2.79

Espresso $2.99
Latte or Cappuccino $3.39

YC has the Captain's Grille for a sitdown breakfast. BC has Cape May for a character breakfast.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
triciari
DIS Veteran

There's also a coffee shop off the YC lobby that has pastries.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Like pp's have said, the Marketplace does have some options. There is also a good sit down breakfast at the YC, if that is more what you are looking for. My family eats a light breakfast before the parks open and then we have a nice sit-down lunch in whatever park we happen to be that day, so the breakfast options at the YC/BC haven't bothered us. When we did want a big breakfast we went to the restaurant (Captain's Grille, I believe) at the YC -- it's great since you can have the buffet or order a la carte.

YC/BC is great for the location and the pools. We love AKL, too -- you have some great resorts to choose from.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Took my parents to BC a few years ago. My stepdad wants breakfast, a real breakfast, every day. We had to deal with the morning food question.

We ate at the Captains Grille for a sit down breakfast, which was very good and moderate in price. You can order eggs alacarte if you get the buffet so he could get an omelet plus the other offerings and that made him happy. Buffett runs around $17.

We ate at the Marketplace before the menu change but we were fine with a breakfast sandwich (they used to have french toast sticks as well). But my step dad really does not like this, we got him a sandwich and some fruit and he had part of my mom's french toast sticks, but it was not what he considered 'having breakfast'.

Last morning we ate off site at IHOP as I was taking them to the airport to go home. Honestly it was a relief, to not have to deal with morning food questions after he left.

I'm more of a grab something on the run type, so all my solo stays I keep some quick/easy on the go snacks or bagels w/PB in my room then plan an early lunch or snack.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

DH and I just returned from BWI and I'm going back with DD in August. We ordered breakfast (and other) food from Garden Grocer (yogurt, cheese, bread). Depending on when you are going, the Boardwalk Bakery expansion/renovation may be completed as well. It's supposed to be done at the end of April. I'm not sure what the menu will be like, but I suspect it will be more expansive than it was. Another thing we did was pick up pastries from France at Epcot a couple of evenings and one pastry actually made it to breakfast!

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

We are staying at YC next month, and the morning food dilemma has been giving me fits already! DH is another one of those who NEEDS a big, sit-down breakfast every day. Captain's Grille seems to be a good choice (in YC) if you can wait until 7:30am. But if you are trying to make an 8am park opening, that won't work. We are probably going to end up doing room service a lot of mornings because I can't come up with much else. The Swan/Dolphin, which are nearby, have a couple of options too if you don't mind walking over there (not on the DDP though).

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA | 2014: POR
Upcoming Trips: 12/14 - WL | 7/15 - ASMusic | 3/16 - DCL Fantasy - W.Car (7 nights)
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

We have always found the Marketplace and BW Bakery perfectly adequate for our CS needs and Captains Grille and Cape May (Kouzzina is on our to do list) for times we want TS. If heading into Epcot for rope drop, I have read the bakery in France is open now. Yes, there isn't a food court at these resorts but I personally think the issue is overstated.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04

Last edited by jenjersnap; 03-18-2013 at 06:10 PM.
jenjersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
mistysue
DIS Veteran

We actually found the selection to be great if you didn't have to deal with complicated allergies.
At BC/YC for breakfast each has a TS, BC has a permanent CS and the bar in the YC lobby has continental breakfast type offerings. For lunch and dinner you can then add in hurricane hanna's, beaches and cream, the crew's cup and doesn't BC have martha's vinyard or something like that? I though they had some food. At dinner there is then also a signature TS. You have 7 choices of places to go for dinner plus in-room dining, without even having to leave the little area of the double resort... Most resorts don't have 7 options. Plus you can walk to Epcot if you have park hoppers and the boardwalk is really close with a list of places to go. You mention staying at POP, walking to the boardwalk is sort of like walking across that resort.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
ColinCodyMom
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! Op here. Thanks so much for the suggestions! It's crazy to me the lack of choices at this group of deluxes. Very strange. I'm hoping that everything else at bc is worth it for the price. I would love to stay CL although my guys wouldn't be satisfied with those offerings either since they appear to be the grab and go type of things we can get in the market. Is the bw kiosk anywhere near the bc? The lunch and dinner choices seem okay. Any other drawbacks to this resort? That issue is pretty big for us and the main reason we have previously left it out of our choices. Thanks again!!!

Last edited by ColinCodyMom; 03-19-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: correcting myself
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Granola bars tide us over until lunch. We make lunch and dinner our more substantial meals. One year we did Club Level, but that didn't work on mornings when the parks opened at 7am and we were going to rope drop because the CL lounge wasn't open when we left in the morning (although with some planning, we probably could have gotten something from the CL CM the night before to take along the next morning).
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

We never found it an issue.We are content with a breakfast sandwich or fruit and yogurt from the Marketplace.I guess if you like a big hot food court breakfast it could be an issue, but to us the resort is well worth it and not an issue.There are options, just not a food court like some of the other resorts
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCodyMom View Post
Hi everyone! Op here. Thanks so much for the suggestions! It's crazy to me the lack of choices at this group of deluxes. Very strange. I'm hoping that everything else at bc is worth it for the price. I would love to stay CL although my guys wouldn't be satisfied with those offerings either. Maybe someday. Is the bw kiosk anywhere near the bc? And even though there's such a lack of morning food for those not wanting TS, the lunch and dinner choices seem okay. Any other drawbacks to this resort? That issue is a big one and the main reason we have previously left it out of our choices. Thanks again!!!
From what you have written here, I don't think your family is going to like BC/YC/BWI. There are many breakfast options at these resorts and in the area, but what you want for a morning meal is just not there.
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
ColinCodyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by housetomouse View Post
From what you have written here, I don't think your family is going to like BC/YC/BWI. There are many breakfast options at these resorts and in the area, but what you want for a morning meal is just not there.
It's not that it's a make or break kinda thing. I'm sorry if it appeared that way. Previous trips, we had a ressie for TS every morning somewhere and the stress of getting there and perhaps missing rope drop, etc. made me wonder about not doing the morning TS thing and opting for a bounty platter or something. I'm checking out the menus and such and I can say emphatically that although it isn't what I was expecting, it's definitely not going to be the reason I don't stay at BC. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will be our pick. Everything else appeals to us. Each resort has some sort of drawback, right?. I'd love to stay at the Poly, but the no hot tub thing is a deal breaker for sure lol. Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. It will be fine and I appreciate all of the thoughts. They have helped tremendously!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: