Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Is There Rhyme or Reason to Household Pins?

Found myself wondering this the other day.....It is probably a computer generated thing, but I am curious as to how a specific household is "chosen" to receive the pins like free dining codes, etc. Could it have to do with whether or not you have been to Disney World before? If you are already booked, does it go by what resort level you booked? Does it matter how many are in your party, etc.........just kind of curious, even though I really do suspect it is the luck of the draw.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 13, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiemom View Post
Found myself wondering this the other day.....It is probably a computer generated thing, but I am curious as to how a specific household is "chosen" to receive the pins like free dining codes, etc. Could it have to do with whether or not you have been to Disney World before? If you are already booked, does it go by what resort level you booked? Does it matter how many are in your party, etc.........just kind of curious, even though I really do suspect it is the luck of the draw.
Nope, nope and nope. As far as anyone knows, there is no rhyme or reason. Some people go several times a year and get them, but some go several times a year and don't. Some have only been as a resort guest under someone else's booking and that person gets one while the "host" doesn't. Being booked already is not a factor either, it seems. Total luck from what I can tell, but perhaps Disney knows the secret, but I doubt it. Given the poor way their IT department seems to be handled (as evident by their continuous website issues), I do not believe they are able to create a real pattern. I think it is completely random.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Yep, that's pretty much what I thought. Ahhh, in the perfect vacation world we could go to our mailboxes, (either physical or e-mail) and see something from Disney Destinations just for us

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 13, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
just teachin
Earning My Ears

How do you find out that you have a pin? We've booked our first trip for June... Thanks!!
just teachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by just teachin View Post
How do you find out that you have a pin? We've booked our first trip for June... Thanks!!
PINs are sent via email or snail mail. You can also call the regular reservation line and ask if there are any PINs associated with your account. Most CMs are happy to check for you, but some will just tell you to keep an eye on your mail.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
coluk003
Mouseketeer

EHHH for years i tried to get PINS sent to me, tried everything, i signed up to ESPN stuff, disney stuff EVERYTHING.

And then i lost my job as so many others have, about 4 months after that guess what came i the mail........
coluk003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

Does anyone ever not get any notification but call n have a pin? Think disney would want people to know to get more bookings.
Yeah yeah....i havent ever got one and am bitter lol.
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPooh View Post
Does anyone ever not get any notification but call n have a pin? Think disney would want people to know to get more bookings.
Yeah yeah....i havent ever got one and am bitter lol.
I have called and had one, but then I received it the mail the next day.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Abby Wednesday
Mouseketeer

My theory

I have to wonder if most people who sign up to get the emails and offers from Disney do actually get them, it's just that they are filtered to junk mail and subsequently deleted before they are noticed, or maybe blocked completely. Disney could also just have the wrong address/email on file or in the wrong place in their file for you.

Another thought is that maybe you're traveling at times when they don't offer a lot of pin codes, or to a resort that doesn't allot many rooms to pins. Their software probably does pick up on that when you check on pricing for a trip but don't book.

All I know is that I have received a lot of pins ever since I signed up in 2010. I would say most of the ones mentioned on this board. Ironically, I ended up using the general public discount of 40% in 2010, and not a pin (went to BWI).
Abby Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
gilby
DIS Veteran

We have always called, haven't received anything in mail since 2010.
2008 Pop-Century
2010 Pop-century
2011 Pop-Century
2012 POR
2013 POR
2014 pop century
2014 Pop century
gilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: