DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
sndral
DIS Veteran

What name/s to put on title?

If I bite the bullet and start this buying DVC business does anyone have any thoughts about who's names should be on the deed? In my case I have 1 adult child, any reason to put him on the title, any reason not to?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Anyone whose name is on the title as an owner will get a blue member card which can be used for various discounts. If your adult child will use your membership and travel without you, it would be beneficial to have their own member card.

Others have warned against this as your contracts could be subject to seizure in case of adult childs bankrupcy or divorce.
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
If I bite the bullet and start this buying DVC business does anyone have any thoughts about who's names should be on the deed? In my case I have 1 adult child, any reason to put him on the title, any reason not to?
they would legally own it and it could be at risk for divorce, financials, etc. The perks, exchanges would be the main reasons.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
chitwnnole
Earning My Ears

If I just put my name on the deed would my immediate household people (family) be able to get annual pass discounts, food discounts and merchandise discounts when at Disney ?

There is myself, my wife and three children ages 5,11,14. Do they get the discounts if they are not on the deed ?
chitwnnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitwnnole View Post
If I just put my name on the deed would my immediate household people (family) be able to get annual pass discounts, food discounts and merchandise discounts when at Disney ?

There is myself, my wife and three children ages 5,11,14. Do they get the discounts if they are not on the deed ?
Well, your children couldn't be on the deed, as minors can't own real estate. But yes, immediate family living at your address can get the AP discount.

I believe the food and merchandise discounts may require the DVC member card, so you would have to be present in order to use the discount if you were the only one on the deed.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Well, your children couldn't be on the deed, as minors can't own real estate. But yes, immediate family living at your address can get the AP discount.

I believe the food and merchandise discounts may require the DVC member card, so you would have to be present in order to use the discount if you were the only one on the deed.

This is correct as it happened to us this December. My daughter was purchasing some merchandise and I had to present my DVC member card to get the discount. She could not get the discount without my presence.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers View Post
[/B]

This is correct as it happened to us this December. My daughter was purchasing some merchandise and I had to present my DVC member card to get the discount. She could not get the discount without my presence.
Mmm, this is news to me. He lives in his own household (and has a different last name) and at some pt. he'll hopefully marry and have children, so it might be better to have him on the deed so that he and his theoretical future immediate family would have access to any discounts available.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
chasshan
calgirl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitwnnole View Post

My apologies OP. I thought the above post was from you....as a second question. I thought I checked to make sure it was a second post and question from you (OP), but obviously I got confused.

Sounds like it would be the right thing for you, to put your son's name on the deed. That's what I did for my recent purchase. My oldest is 24 so he is on the deed with me. If I add another contract in future years, I'll likely put another child on that second deed with me.

Good luck! I know it's a big decision.
Shanna
chasshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
sarah4770
DIS Veteran

I was just discussing this with member services. It costs $425 to change the title( as per First American Title transfer), so think about what you want to do before you purchase.
Also, if you don't put your child on the title, it would go through probate if you passed away.. I am not sure how much that costs.
sarah4770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah4770 View Post
I was just discussing this with member services. It costs $425 to change the title( as per First American Title transfer), so think about what you want to do before you purchase.
Also, if you don't put your child on the title, it would go through probate if you passed away.. I am not sure how much that costs.
You can change the title yourself for around $50.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah4770 View Post
Everything you own that is not jointly owned with someone else goes through probate. Which is generally only expensive and/or a hassle if you don't have a will.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: