Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer
 
TARAMEOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 473

Weight watchers at the world

Just wondering do you guys count points while on vacation? Do you gain while there?
I'm already looking up the food I want to eat
__________________

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,118

My trip in April will be my 1st when on WW (I've done WW once before), but I've always struggled with my weight until I started running 2 years ago. Even now, I have to be careful what I eat. I started WW again a few weeks ago to help me get over the hump where I seemed to have been stuck for 18 months.

Having said all that, I tend to just go off the diet(s) when I'm there; however I do try to be conscious of the portions and types of foods I'm eating. I'm not counting points, but I'm also not obsessing over it. I still run and obviously I'm walking alot while there so you're getting good exercise. Don't overthink it, but don't overdo it would be my philosophy.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,175

I hit my WW one-year anniversary while at the parks this Feb. After doing it this long (and I do the "eat ALL points coming to me" plan) I found that my stomach has changed and my appetite has changed. So I will tell you that I ate ALL I wanted on our vacation. But the caveat is that what I wanted is vastly different than what I wanted two years ago.

We didn't have as busy a park schedule this time, because of our plans and because DH was injured and moving slow. We had a 3 night cruise at the start. I worked out once, doing the Castaway Cay 5K. We were gone for 2 weeks. Again, I ate all I wanted to eat, what I wanted to eat, when I wanted to eat. We had Kringla bakery treats (mmm, schoolbread) 3 times during our trip. I had souffle on our cruise. The one day I ate to the point of discomfort was at Tusker House but that was planned, I just LOVE their food and wasn't content to stop when full...I purposely went beyond it. (I'm not a believer in "the first bite is the best"...it's just not true for me) We did the Tea Room twice and had treats both times. etc.

I lost .4 lbs when I returned.

My appetite has changed, and by following that appetite (except for the day at Tusker House when I KNEW I would eat to the point of physical discomfort (I'm so glad I don't live in Orlando or I would be in trouble with that restaurant)), I found I did well.



On the other hand, DH gained a few lbs. But again he was moving slow. And he didn't do the 5K, he slept one day when we went to Epcot, and he was taking ibuprofen through the trip which can cause swelling (and it does with him).


I think an important part of vacation is to remember that IF you gain on vacation, most of the gain isn't a true gain; we don't put on 5 lbs of fat in a week or two. The body doesn't even MAKE fat all that quickly. It's mostly going to be water weight from salty foods, not enough water, and being on our feet ALL day long. Add flying to the mix and it's a water-weight extravaganza! And it can also be the simple bulk of the food that's taking a bit longer to be digested. Most of a gain will be gone in a week or two, and if there's any left, well, we know exactly what to do about it, right?


Have a GREAT trip!
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
tubachick
DIS Veteran
Official DIS "good thread" popcorn supplier
 
tubachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of the LAST, Chicago Chapter
Posts: 14,583

Hello!

I DID count my points at WDW. I count them everywhere. I have been on and off WW for several years, sometimes counting and sometimes not. I think tracking is better for me than not.

That being said, If I want something, I am going to eat it. If I go over my points, I go over. Although I don't tend to overeat as much anymore as I did even last year when I was at WDW.

I agree with Bumbershoot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I hit my WW one-year anniversary while at the parks this Feb. After doing it this long (and I do the "eat ALL points coming to me" plan) I found that my stomach has changed and my appetite has changed. So I will tell you that I ate ALL I wanted on our vacation. But the caveat is that what I wanted is vastly different than what I wanted two years ago.

I think that my tracking is more important than the points I consume during a trip to WDW. I am getting a lot more activity there than I do at home so in a weird way, it works out.

__________________
POP 10/12**CR 5/12**POP 2/12**POP 10/11**POP 7/11**POP 3/11**WL 1/11**WL 12/10**POP 10/10**CR 08/10**CSR 07/10** POP 05/10**POP 02/10 ** WL 11/09**WL 08/09**POP 06/09**POP 03/09** ASM 1/09**YC 8/08**ASM 4/08 **ASM 10/07**WL 9/07**DL/PP 4/2007**DCL 3/2007 ** CBR 3/2007**YC 8/2006**CBR 3/2006**CR 8/2005 ** WL (Honeymoon Suite)2/2005**WL(DISNEYMOON Concierge level) 4/2003**ASM 12/2000**ALS 1/2001
LAST! IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE!
Hail thee Babylonia, the goddess of women and all things fertile, and the landmark of the bathroom
tubachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer
 
TARAMEOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 473

Bumbershoot what you said about your change in the way you eat makes sense. I already realized that some of my habits have changed. In August last year I was on Weight watchers for a few weeks when I went on a cruise and let's just say I returned to weight watchers in feb. 10 lbs heavier then when I started the first time
__________________

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran
 
keahgirl8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,588

I haven't been on WW at WDW, but I have been on it at DL. I tracked everything the best I could, and tried to find the healthiest options possible. That being said, I did allow myself a treat every day, so I didn't feel deprived. This is the thing about WW...if you truly change your lifestyle, it becomes the way you eat. If I have the choice between a really good salad and a plate of fried food, I will choose the salad out in the real world. In DL, I eat the same way 99.99% of the time, because that is how I eat now. I enjoy my vacations, but don't feel overstuffed, sluggish, or uncomfortable....which is now I used to feel on vacation when I over ate the time.
__________________
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer
 
TARAMEOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 473

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
I haven't been on WW at WDW, but I have been on it at DL. I tracked everything the best I could, and tried to find the healthiest options possible. That being said, I did allow myself a treat every day, so I didn't feel deprived. This is the thing about WW...if you truly change your lifestyle, it becomes the way you eat. If I have the choice between a really good salad and a plate of fried food, I will choose the salad out in the real world. In DL, I eat the same way 99.99% of the time, because that is how I eat now. I enjoy my vacations, but don't feel overstuffed, sluggish, or uncomfortable....which is now I used to feel on vacation when I over ate the time.
This sounds great! A think I can handle a treat everyday. I'm so impressed with your weight loss ticker way to go
I'm feeling a little down tonight because I was reading a lot of negative info about the plan
__________________

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
JessM
We all have a dream
 
JessM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,088

I've always had a bit of a struggle to maintain my weight and I have to be conscious about what I'm eating and excercise to stay on track. I've never gained weight at WDW. I gained 4 lbs two weeks ago on a cruise but never at Disney. We tour fairly commando so even with all the treats I still maintained my weight.

When I was there in December I tried to get a healthy hearty breakfast in before we went to the parks. For lunch and dinner (tried to go with healthy options) I ate until I was full no more, and then I enjoyed a treat or 2 each day between meals. It worked for me and I didn't feel like I was depriving myself. I also think keeping some healthy foods in my diet made the trip much more enjoyable. I don't drink any soda at home and only have 1 cheat meal a week I would have felt awful if I ate like crap all week!
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran
 
keahgirl8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARAMEOW View Post

This sounds great! A think I can handle a treat everyday. I'm so impressed with your weight loss ticker way to go
I'm feeling a little down tonight because I was reading a lot of negative info about the plan
Thanks! If I can do it, anyone can. I'm not sure what you're reading, but don't let it discourage you. Everyone has to do what is best for them. It may not work for some people, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you!
__________________
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,175

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARAMEOW View Post
I'm feeling a little down tonight because I was reading a lot of negative info about the plan
What were you reading? The 360 plan is the same plan that it's been for awhile, with just more sort of emotional, or real life, support.

This plan is working for me more than the plan did in '00-/'01 (which worked really well except that I chose to deprive myself BIG time, and then met my future husband, and I gave up because I was tired of "dieting" on dates), better than when I rejoined in '03 (when we did things like eat cookies instead of fruit b/c you had to count points for fruit), and when I re-rejoined in '04 (which actually worked quite well except again I was depriving myself, not following the good health guidelines, and finally decided that I hit a year-long plateau and it wasn't worth paying for...totally ignoring the fact that I was eating chocolate cake every other day and not counting it).

This plan has been awesome for me. I don't know how other people are following it or why it's not working for them, but it's been great for me.

And what's cool is that I believe Keah and I started around the same time, she's doing it online and I do meetings, I eat ALL points (daily, weekly, activity), she only rarely eats Activity points, and yet we're both doing great! We're following it in the way that works for us, and it's working. I don't know how old Keahgirl is, but I'm 43 and I'm just loving this plan.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran
 
keahgirl8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

What were you reading? The 360 plan is the same plan that it's been for awhile, with just more sort of emotional, or real life, support.

This plan is working for me more than the plan did in '00-/'01 (which worked really well except that I chose to deprive myself BIG time, and then met my future husband, and I gave up because I was tired of "dieting" on dates), better than when I rejoined in '03 (when we did things like eat cookies instead of fruit b/c you had to count points for fruit), and when I re-rejoined in '04 (which actually worked quite well except again I was depriving myself, not following the good health guidelines, and finally decided that I hit a year-long plateau and it wasn't worth paying for...totally ignoring the fact that I was eating chocolate cake every other day and not counting it).

This plan has been awesome for me. I don't know how other people are following it or why it's not working for them, but it's been great for me.

And what's cool is that I believe Keah and I started around the same time, she's doing it online and I do meetings, I eat ALL points (daily, weekly, activity), she only rarely eats Activity points, and yet we're both doing great! We're following it in the way that works for us, and it's working. I don't know how old Keahgirl is, but I'm 43 and I'm just loving this plan.
When did you start? I started January 23, 2012. Yes, I know the exact date! I am 31.

You are exactly right. You have to make the plan work for you! Sometimes you have to do some trial and error to figure it out, but it will happen!
__________________
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran
 
keahgirl8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,588

Bumbershoot, you are awesome. Even though we don't work the plan in the same way, we have so much in common. You are so right!
__________________
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,118

Since I am a runner, I have a tendency to relate EVERYTHING to running! When I'm training for a race, I have to be accountable and honest with myself. If I'm having a bad day, I can't abandon my entire training. I have to just start back tomorrow and forget about today, but when I'm training, I have to be honest with myself. If I cheat myself on a run today, it will possibly hurt me on my race. One day doesn't completely derail all my training, but enough days of short-changing my runs or forgetting them altogether will have a major effect on it.

Once you've made yourself accountable, I think it becomes so much easier. This is another something just for me that has helped is I'm an uber planner. WW helps DW and I not having one of those "where do you want to go?"/"I don't know, where do you want to go?" and then being indecisive about what to eat. I don't do that with WW most days as I try to plan things out. It works better for my personality.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.