Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

Question Magic Refurb

We had friends on the Magic in February, they came back excited and saying that they heard that Disney was going to be adding an aquaduck to the Magic.

Since we are booked on the Magic in April 2014, this was exciting to hear. I knew about the scheduled drydock, but had no idea how extensive the refurb would be. Now, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these rumors, and what do you think the chances are of it happening?

We were on the Fantasy for a week last month, and DD only went on the aquaduck about 5 times total, so I'm not sure if it would even mean that much to her. Just curious...

WDW offsite 1978 RCCL 1996 RCCL 1997 WDW offsite 1998 RCCL 1999
Poly 2008 Poly 2009 FQ/BC 2011 Poly/Fantasy Western Caribbean 2013
Cabana Bay/Universal/Magic Bahamas 2014

erinsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinsmom03 View Post
We had friends on the Magic in February, they came back excited and saying that they heard that Disney was going to be adding an aquaduck to the Magic.

Since we are booked on the Magic in April 2014, this was exciting to hear. I knew about the scheduled drydock, but had no idea how extensive the refurb would be. Now, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these rumors, and what do you think the chances are of it happening?

We were on the Fantasy for a week last month, and DD only went on the aquaduck about 5 times total, so I'm not sure if it would even mean that much to her. Just curious...
They are not adding AquaDuck to the Magic. Her superstructure cannot support it. This is a rumor that keeps popping up. I believe they are making some changes to the the Mickey slide (or some slide that is in the kids club), I'm not sure.

The only things I've seen/read about (and not really confirmed or not) are that Topsiders will become more Cabanas-style, and Parrot Cay is getting a new look.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

I wondered if it could even work, thanks for the info! I hope they are planning to update the cabins? I'm hoping for the higher bed like on the Fantasy, loved storing our luggage under there. Updated bedding would be nice too!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wondered if it could even work, thanks for the info! I hope they are planning to update the cabins? I'm hoping for the higher bed like on the Fantasy, loved storing our luggage under there. Updated bedding would be nice too!
Someone did post that their server (like he would know?) said the beds were going to be changed out from the convertable twin/queen bed to the queen only configuration (like on the Dream and Fantasy). I really hope that isn't happening. But there probably will be updating done to the rooms, just not sure what.

We've always been able to put our bags under the beds on the Magic & Wonder. Sometimes you have to lift the foot of the bed to get the bag past the frame, but past that point, it's high enough for most bags.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

That is good to know, thanks for the storage tip!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

One rumor I heard on the Wonder was regarding Edge and Vibe. They might do the same they did with the newer ships and take over the front and move Vibe there and move Edge to the top.

But of course... nobody knows for sure...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Someone did post that their server (like he would know?) said the beds were going to be changed out from the convertable twin/queen bed to the queen only configuration (like on the Dream and Fantasy). I really hope that isn't happening. But there probably will be updating done to the rooms, just not sure what.

We've always been able to put our bags under the beds on the Magic & Wonder. Sometimes you have to lift the foot of the bed to get the bag past the frame, but past that point, it's high enough for most bags.
Oh no! My ds16 is too tall for the sofa bed so we've been getting 2 cabins when sailing on the classic ships. My boys love having their own bed; a real bed. They would not enjoy sharing a queen. Even when they put the 2 halves together, I rarely feel the crack in the middle so why bother? It's great having a choice!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
tajz90
Mama D

I hope the new beds are added. We love the storage underneath the beds on Fantasy/Dream. I don't like having to lift the Magic/Wonder beds to slide luggage under.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I like the twin/queen option. Why would removing that be an upgrade? That creates more limitations for passengers. I lifted the beds to store all of our luggage for our 2 week cruise just fine on the Wonder.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
I hope the new beds are added. We love the storage underneath the beds on Fantasy/Dream. I don't like having to lift the Magic/Wonder beds to slide luggage under.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I like the twin/queen option. Why would removing that be an upgrade? That creates more limitations for passengers. I lifted the beds to store all of our luggage for our 2 week cruise just fine on the Wonder.
FYI we don't store anything under the beds anymore. On one of our cruises a stateroom had plumbing issues and there was a backup. Needless to say their items on the floor under the bed were wet and smelly. The floor of the closet sits higher, we store our luggage in there.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:

The Magic currently has an extensive water leak problem that runs ship-wide. The main purpose of dry dock is to fix the plumbing and repair damage caused by water leaks. I only know this because we just sailed on 2/15 and we could feel water squishing around under our feet in the bathroom. The water wasn't visible and the floor was dry but when we talked to our stateroom steward about it, he said that the problem was extensive. We assumed we were the only ones dealing with it since we were on deck one but we talked to people as high as deck 7 experiencing the same thing. Sorry!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
The Magic currently has an extensive water leak problem that runs ship-wide. The main purpose of dry dock is to fix the plumbing and repair damage caused by water leaks. I only know this because we just sailed on 2/15 and we could feel water squishing around under our feet in the bathroom. The water wasn't visible and the floor was dry but when we talked to our stateroom steward about it, he said that the problem was extensive. We assumed we were the only ones dealing with it since we were on deck one but we talked to people as high as deck 7 experiencing the same thing. Sorry!
Sorry, but the main purpose of a drydock, especially this one is to satisfy MSC/IMO/SOLAS regulations. The way it works is that a ship is mandated to go into a dry dock, 2x in a 5 year period, not to exceed 3 years. Magics last drydock was in Sept/Oct of 2010.(I was on her first post DD cruise) If she doesnt make it, or the yard runs late on the ship infront, the Magics hull certificates etc will expire, and she wont be able to sail until she goes into the dry dock for inspections. The purpose is to inspect all of the areas, that cannot not be inspected while in service, such as fuel bunkers, sewage tanks, water tanks, thru hulls, running gear etc. At the same time, the MSC most likely will have made changes to different things that may be coming up on a deadline. Things like the amount of flammable materials onboard, or amount of a certain type of paint, fire protection changes etc. Any or all of the above can put a ship out of service, if the change is serious enough and not corrected by the deadline.

While shes there, DCL (or any line for that matter) will take the oppurtunity to work on areas, that can not be easily worked on while the ship is in service. Things like the persistent water leak, renewing or replacing kitchens in their entirety,(The Magic got a ships laundry room upgrade in 2010) renewing a mdr or completely redoing a pool(s).

Things that can be done while inservice, like bed changes or linen changes usually are, but depending on the supplier, sometimes its easier to wait on a drydock. If you ever get the chance to see Extreme Cruis ships Oasis of the Seas, they show where she comes into port, and a large number of crew remove and replace a few hundred mattresses that wore out prematurely, prior to guest boarding. Basically as a guest left their rooms, several crew members went in, grabbed the matresses, and went to the loading doors with them and offloaded them. The stevedores bought the brand new ones to the doors, and the crew reversed the process.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Mom2PrincessesLinSy
DIS Veteran

A lot can be done to a ship in 6 weeks, plus the 2 weeks to sail back across the ocean. We sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas (RCI) who had a dry dock which included SPLITTING the ship in 1/2, and adding an entire section (in 6 weeks). They can do so much in that "short" time!

PS. Everyone has denied the possibility, but I did hear from the Head Dining Server on our Sept. cruise that Disney was also considering splitting the ship and adding a section. I cannot confirm any of that, but it was one of the "rumors" I say anything less will be "underwhelming" for me

Multiple Disney Trips (both Pre-EPCOT and Post-EPCOT) as a child Wedding at WDW Wedding Pavillion/GF 10/99 Disneyland: 4 trips Disney World: 10 trips Disney Magic: 6 sailings Disney Wonder: 2 sailings Disney Fantasy: 1 sailing, now waiting on our Christmas Dream Cruise to be Platinum and Grand Slam!!
Mom2PrincessesLinSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Is it feasable to add a section to the Magic, yes. But the main reason that you dont see anymore ships haveing sections added is the cost. RCL found that out when they did the EOS, it cost them more then anticipated to add that section which is why they havent done any of the other ships of that class.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

The leaked photos did show the spa being redone in addition to the restaurants. Everything is all a guess but my bets are that the spa, restaurants, and rooms will be updated. I doubt they will do anything else too exciting. Disney has always had a way of underwhelming me on "big news" changes so I won't hold my breath. But since I'm on that ship right after dry dock, I am literally on pins and needles waiting to hear some official announcements!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: