Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Diane D
Mouseketeer
 
Diane D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 245

Question French Quarter Buses

Can anyone who has stayed at the French Quarter recently tell me how the bus service was? Mainly, how often were buses shared with Riverside?
__________________
1987 - Grosvenor; 1989 - Contemporary & Grosvenor; 1992 - PO & Cocoa Beach; 1997 - Holiday Inn & CBR; 1997 - Holiday Inn-Main Gate East; 1998 - Coronado Springs; 1999 - ASMo; 2000 - PO; 2001 - ASMu; 7/2002 - CBR & Polynesian; 11/2002 - ASMu; 6/2003 - AKL; 07/2004 - Pop Century; 05/2005 - Pop Century; 11/2005 - Coronado Springs; 06/2006 - Polynesian & ASMo; 05/2007 - Polynesian; 10/2007 - Pop Century; 05/2008 - Coronado Springs; 08/2008 - ASMu; 05/2009 - Pop Century; 04/2010 - Disneyland Hotel; 06/2010-ASMu/Family Suite; 11/2010 - Pop Century; 09/2011 - CBR; 11/2011 - Disneyland/Paradise Pier; 06/2012 - Pop Century; 11/2013 - AoA
Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
geckodani
DIS Veteran
 
geckodani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 728

I was there Dec 10 - 15, 2012 and Jan 24 - 29, 2013. I only shared 3 times; all in the middle of the day. In the morning or at the end of the night POFQ had its own.
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Diane D
Mouseketeer
 
Diane D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckodani View Post
I was there Dec 10 - 15, 2012 and Jan 24 - 29, 2013. I only shared 3 times; all in the middle of the day. In the morning or at the end of the night POFQ had its own.
Thank you! Was this to/from all the parks and Downtown Disney?
__________________
1987 - Grosvenor; 1989 - Contemporary & Grosvenor; 1992 - PO & Cocoa Beach; 1997 - Holiday Inn & CBR; 1997 - Holiday Inn-Main Gate East; 1998 - Coronado Springs; 1999 - ASMo; 2000 - PO; 2001 - ASMu; 7/2002 - CBR & Polynesian; 11/2002 - ASMu; 6/2003 - AKL; 07/2004 - Pop Century; 05/2005 - Pop Century; 11/2005 - Coronado Springs; 06/2006 - Polynesian & ASMo; 05/2007 - Polynesian; 10/2007 - Pop Century; 05/2008 - Coronado Springs; 08/2008 - ASMu; 05/2009 - Pop Century; 04/2010 - Disneyland Hotel; 06/2010-ASMu/Family Suite; 11/2010 - Pop Century; 09/2011 - CBR; 11/2011 - Disneyland/Paradise Pier; 06/2012 - Pop Century; 11/2013 - AoA
Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
geckodani
DIS Veteran
 
geckodani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane D View Post
Thank you! Was this to/from all the parks and Downtown Disney?
We took the boat to DTD, and the bus back. Did not share the bus back, but it was quite late at night. Shared on the way to Epcot in the middle of the day, and on the way to MK and HS. All of the shared ones were in the middle of the day.

Just an FYI, there is no bus from the parks to DTD if you were planning on doing that. You have to catch a bus to one of the resorts and then go from there to DTD. We didn't realize this and spent a while wandering in circles.
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
geraghty
Mouseketeer
 
geraghty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 230

I was there Easter week last year. The buses only shared with Riverside when going to and from DTD. That was peak season so they probably had a few more buses running.
__________________
geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran
 
Iamthequeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Just north of the Mason Dixon
Posts: 1,012

I was there September 2011, and we only went to Riverside once the entire week.
__________________
If my daughter is the "Princess", I must be the "Queen"!
First ever PTR!
10 Days of Fun in the Sun
Wait.....we're staying where? and when??

2001 - All Star Movies; 2010 - POFQ; 2011 - POFQ; 2013- Caribbean Beach
Iamthequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,591

Was there in January, rarely shared bus. Don't know about DTD, we use the boat, way more fun then a bus.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Ninja Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,122

I was there at the end of February this year. Basically it's exactly what the above folks said. Disney is really making an effort to improve the bus service, especially first thing in the morning at the resorts. They have a dispatcher working the resort stop in the morning and this person will deploy extra buses as needed, on the spot! So if the thundering herd all of a sudden shows up for, let's say Epcot, the dispatcher will see that and radio for an additional bus from a holding area not too far from the resort.

We split a bus with POR only in the mid day with POFQ always being the first stop. Usually, if a bus back to the resorts from the parks is shared, POFQ is the first stop for drop off..... but once our driver had a big crowd from POR so he went there first and dropped the big load there, then he went to POFQ.

On occasion, especially later in the day we did take the POR bus loop before heading off to a park but it wasn't a huge time commitment, like when the bus would go from the Wilderness Lodge all the way over to Ft. Wilderness and then over to the parks.

All in all, I am seeing Disney get smarter when deploying the buses TO the parks.

The bus from ANY resort to Downtown Disney AND BACK is still the black hole of wasted bus time. One day when the weather was exceptionally windy they shut down the boats and we HAD to take the bus from POFQ to DTD (and back to the resort!). I couldn't help but think that if perhaps they had a Margarita machine in the back of the DTD bus if that wouldn't make the ride more bearable...

~NM
__________________
Ninja Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran
 
OThopeful35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post
I was there at the end of February this year. Basically it's exactly what the above folks said. Disney is really making an effort to improve the bus service, especially first thing in the morning at the resorts. They have a dispatcher working the resort stop in the morning and this person will deploy extra buses as needed, on the spot! So if the thundering herd all of a sudden shows up for, let's say Epcot, the dispatcher will see that and radio for an additional bus from a holding area not too far from the resort.

We split a bus with POR only in the mid day with POFQ always being the first stop. Usually, if a bus back to the resorts from the parks is shared, POFQ is the first stop for drop off..... but once our driver had a big crowd from POR so he went there first and dropped the big load there, then he went to POFQ.

On occasion, especially later in the day we did take the POR bus loop before heading off to a park but it wasn't a huge time commitment, like when the bus would go from the Wilderness Lodge all the way over to Ft. Wilderness and then over to the parks.

All in all, I am seeing Disney get smarter when deploying the buses TO the parks.

The bus from ANY resort to Downtown Disney AND BACK is still the black hole of wasted bus time. One day when the weather was exceptionally windy they shut down the boats and we HAD to take the bus from POFQ to DTD (and back to the resort!). I couldn't help but think that if perhaps they had a Margarita machine in the back of the DTD bus if that wouldn't make the ride more bearable...

~NM
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DS10)

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
geraghty
Mouseketeer
 
geraghty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 230

Don't use the bus for DTD. It is terribly slow. Boat is a nice ride.
__________________
geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Diane D
Mouseketeer
 
Diane D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
Don't use the bus for DTD. It is terribly slow. Boat is a nice ride.
We are going in November. Will it be too cold taking the boat?
__________________
1987 - Grosvenor; 1989 - Contemporary & Grosvenor; 1992 - PO & Cocoa Beach; 1997 - Holiday Inn & CBR; 1997 - Holiday Inn-Main Gate East; 1998 - Coronado Springs; 1999 - ASMo; 2000 - PO; 2001 - ASMu; 7/2002 - CBR & Polynesian; 11/2002 - ASMu; 6/2003 - AKL; 07/2004 - Pop Century; 05/2005 - Pop Century; 11/2005 - Coronado Springs; 06/2006 - Polynesian & ASMo; 05/2007 - Polynesian; 10/2007 - Pop Century; 05/2008 - Coronado Springs; 08/2008 - ASMu; 05/2009 - Pop Century; 04/2010 - Disneyland Hotel; 06/2010-ASMu/Family Suite; 11/2010 - Pop Century; 09/2011 - CBR; 11/2011 - Disneyland/Paradise Pier; 06/2012 - Pop Century; 11/2013 - AoA
Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
geraghty
Mouseketeer
 
geraghty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 230

A margarita machine would go with the French Quarter theme.
__________________
geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Ninja Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,122

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
A margarita machine would go with the French Quarter theme.
Well, it is a Margarita "Limited time Magic" idea.... and yes the ride is that bad that a Margarita would work wonders, theme or no theme.

~NM
__________________
Ninja Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
mamamary
DIS Veteran
 
mamamary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,468

We stayed last June and shared the bus with Riverside most times. Only took the boat to DTD.
__________________
CBR - November 2006
CSR - May 2010
POFQ - June 2012

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 11,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
A margarita machine would go with the French Quarter theme.
Nah- margarita's go with the theme at CSR. If you want a good POFQ themed drink, you'd want a Pat O'Brian's Hurricane machine!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.