Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
129hutch
Earning My Ears

Please convince me that the Poly is worth the additional money

Please help me decide!!!

Hubby and I are going to the World for 3 days in mid August for our 16th anniversary. This will be our first trip since being married without kids

We already have a king room booked a CSR and while I know that CSR would be great- I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Poly.

Please convince me that the add'l $500-600 is worth it to switch and why. (Or if it's not- tell me that too.) It is in the budget, if we choose to do it, but I tend to be tight with money. On the other hand, I don't know if/when we will get the chance to go again without kids and the theming and convenience of the Poly are so enticing to me.

HELP! I need the "expert" advice of you Disers.
Thanks so much,
-Kim
129hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
TxTiggergal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 129hutch View Post
Please help me decide!!!

Hubby and I are going to the World for 3 days in mid August for our 16th anniversary. This will be our first trip since being married without kids

We already have a king room booked a CSR and while I know that CSR would be great- I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Poly.

Please convince me that the add'l $500-600 is worth it to switch and why. (Or if it's not- tell me that too.) It is in the budget, if we choose to do it, but I tend to be tight with money. On the other hand, I don't know if/when we will get the chance to go again without kids and the theming and convenience of the Poly are so enticing to me.

Thanks so much,
-Kim
I would say definitely go for the Polynesian! Of course, whether or not it is worth an additional $500-600 is totally subjective, but if it is in the budget and you have always wanted to stay there, then do it! (Especially since you are celebrating your anniversary and it is your first trip without kids in tow!) My husband and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Yacht Club last week and had a wonderful time. We did some extra things on this trip to make it special that we wouldn't ordinarily spend the $$ on, like staying in a lagoon view instead of the usual garden view we typically book.

I have never stayed at CSR so I can't comment on that resort; however, I have stayed at the Polynesian several times and it is really beautiful. The grounds are particularly romantic at night with the torches lit and the view of the castle. In fact, on our recent trip, we ate at O'Hana one night and enjoyed a nice evening walk around the Polynesian while we were there.

Just my two cents! Wherever you end up staying, enjoy your time together!
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Poly.
I say try the Poly -- mostly for the reason above. Also, the $500 isn't so bad if it's in the budget -- you get to stay where you really want to, get the great location, views, fireworks from the beach, dining, etc. It really is a lovely resort and when we stay there we feel like we are in the middle of all the Disney magic.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
princessap
DIS Veteran

We just returned from our first stay there and loved it! I say go for it. It is beautiful and it would be romantic without kids! If only I could convince my husband to go to disney without kids!

Spoil yourselves, you won't regret it!
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
MEK
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. You are going to love being there for your anniversary. My DH and I went for our 20th and it was awesome. Really special.

When we went several years ago we decided to put our money into dining and renting a car. We actually stayed at Pop, but did the deluxe dining plan. Renting a car allowed us to visit several of the signature restaurants in the deluxe resorts. That's just how we chose to allocate our funds. We were there in off season, so the resort was not crowded.

That being said, I know what you mean about wanting to stay at a certain resort. I have always wanted to stay at the Poly, too. I think its a very romantic place and the rooms look gorgeous. I own DVC now, so I probably will never get there.

It is your anniversary and a childless trip so if you have the extra funds, I see nothing wrong with splurging. I'm sort of like you - I tend to be a bit thrifty and room price tags like that make me pause. That's why I bought DVC. But I digress.

I know I didn't help much, but good luck with your decision.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 03-15-2013 at 04:43 PM.
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
MEK
DIS Veteran

Here are some Poly pictures that I just posted in my current TR. I stayed at VWL, but with DVC pool hopping privileges decided to go swimming at the Poly. These may sway your decision

This looks like a great place to chill and have a meal or a snack

I also wondered over to the quiet pool

There is just something about the paths around the Poly that I absolutely love

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Rahjeir
Earning My Ears

If it's in the budget and you want to stay there, no need to talk anymore. Special trips like that are to do things you normally wouldn't do. So if you got the money, do it.
Rahjeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
lynn46356
DIS Veteran

Go for it!!!!! If money is no object don't think twice. We took our first vacation without kids when we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and we stayed at Pop. We had a great time but next year is our 30th and I want to stay at the Poly like you. Plan your trip at the Poly before you change your mind!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both CSR and Poly - Trust me when I say - spend the extra and stay at the Poly. You will LOVE LOVE LOVE it - the theming is amazing - tropical, lush and relaxing. The food options are fantastic, the location cannot be beat - monorail to the MK and Epcot - and the Kona coffee may be worth the additonal expense alone!
Romantic trip without the kiddos - treat yourselves!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Since everyone's definition of "worth" is different, I can't convince you that it's worth it for YOU to spend the money, but I will say that we love everything about the Poly and think the extra money is worth every penny to us. The Poly is great in so many ways, IMO, and is an awesome resort for an anniversary trip as you can't beat having the beach for watching the fireworks (while relaxing in a hammock) and walking around at night under the lit tiki torches. If the extra cost is doable, I say give it a try.....I don't think you'll regret it. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Please help me decide!!!

Thanks so much,
-Kim
Wow! We're talking an extra $200/night!

I love the Poly, but like you I tend to be tight with my money. I'd be thinking a lot about how much time I'd be spending at my resort if I only had 3 days to enjoy Disney.

Will you be sleeping in and having coffee on the balcony? Walking the sandy beach at night during Wishes? Using the pool and hot tub during the day? Will you be spending a lot of time at the MK, so that having the monorail right there will be a big plus? If you're not going to take advantage of what the resort has to offer, I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

Personally, I would be looking for some kind of discount before I would book the Poly or any deluxe at the rack rate. I know myself well enough to know that I would spend the entire 3 days rethinking whether it was worth an extra $200 every night. And if it bothered me that much, it would take away from enjoying my trip.

That being said, if you're the type who can let it go easily once the decision is made, the I prefer the Poly over CSR. But CSR gets my vote for best moderate.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette

I love the Poly, but like you I tend to be tight with my money. I'd be thinking a lot about how much time I'd be spending at my resort if I only had 3 days to enjoy Disney.

Will you be sleeping in and having coffee on the balcony? Walking the sandy beach at night during Wishes? Using the pool and hot tub during the day? Will you be spending a lot of time at the MK, so that having the monorail right there will be a big plus? If you're not going to take advantage of what the resort has to offer, I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

Personally, I would be looking for some kind of discount before I would book the Poly or any deluxe at the rack rate. I know myself well enough to know that I would spend the entire 3 days rethinking whether it was worth an extra $200 every night. And if it bothered me that much, it would take away from enjoying my trip.

That being said, if you're the type who can let it go easily once the decision is made, the I prefer the Poly over CSR. But CSR gets my vote for best moderate.
The Poly doesn't have a hot tub, but you make a good point. How much time will someone spend at a resort on a three day stay? When just DH and I are at WDW, we find that we spend almost as much time in the parks as when we are with the big group. That's because we can get so much more done when there are just two of us then when we are maneuvering the group through the parks.

The Poly is an absolutely wonderful place for a romantic getaway. But if you aren't planning to spend a lot of time at the resort, then you may want to stick with your reservation at CSR.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 03-16-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette

I agree with this 100%. Thats $200/night we're talkin about. Not sure about you, but we're in the parks all day so we dont get to spend much time at the resort. CSR gets my vote.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: