Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
tiawolfe
Earning My Ears

Booking 1st Cruise- Why are prices so different???????

I am looking at booking my first cruise for April 2014. What is the best place to book? Expedia has the cruise for $500 per person, the Disney site was just under $600, and Travelocity had a different price.

What am I missing- why are the prices so different???
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

TAs cannot offer a lower price for DCL's cruises. What the difference may be is transfers or insurance. Some sites include them and some require you to add them. They can offer OBCs, but those won't be reflected in the price quote you get.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
littleacceb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
TAs cannot offer a lower price for DCL's cruises. What the difference may be is transfers or insurance. Some sites include them and some require you to add them. They can offer OBCs, but those won't be reflected in the price quote you get.
That's interesting - do you know if that's just a rule within the US? I just booked with a TA who immediately quoted 5% less than Disney, but was haggled down to a total discount of 9%.
littleacceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
reimero
DIS Veteran

The apples-to-apples warning is essential here. The DCL website is all-inclusive, i.e. quoting the total rate including all taxes and fees. Many TAs quote fares per person, and don't always include the extra fees. I'm a little suspicious of a TA who goes below DCL's rate. My hunch is the difference comes out of the TA's kickback, and if DCL gets wind of it, they may not offer that TA any more incentives.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
JimGA
Mouseketeer

The price you see on DCL website is the price the crusie will cost you, regardless of where you book it.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Dream, May 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
littleacceb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
The apples-to-apples warning is essential here. The DCL website is all-inclusive, i.e. quoting the total rate including all taxes and fees. Many TAs quote fares per person, and don't always include the extra fees. I'm a little suspicious of a TA who goes below DCL's rate. My hunch is the difference comes out of the TA's kickback, and if DCL gets wind of it, they may not offer that TA any more incentives.
Thanks for the info. Taxes and fees were included - it must be a rule that they only enforce within the US, as the TA was a very large company and very forthcoming about the 5% discount being their standard practice, so they wouldn't have been able to hide it from Disney very easily. I should imagine Disney have mystery shopper type people to make sure TAs aren't doing deals.

It does seem a little cheeky of Disney to fix prices! But I can see that they have to do what they can to show that they are a luxury brand, especially as lots of people still mistakenly think they're "just for kids".
littleacceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
reimero
DIS Veteran

Either that, or because DCL's base currency is the USD, some TAs might hedge their bets on currency movement. So if the TA has reason to expect a 5% variance in the exchange rate prior to your paid-in-full date, they might use that to your advantage.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiawolfe View Post
I am looking at booking my first cruise for April 2014. What is the best place to book? Expedia has the cruise for $500 per person, the Disney site was just under $600, and Travelocity had a different price.

What am I missing- why are the prices so different???
Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Are all the sites quoting just the cruisefare? Or do they include such things as taxes, port fees, insurance? Is it the same cruise date & room?

No other travel service can discount DCL cruises. The price will be the same, regardless of who books it.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

You'll also see major differences week to week, room to room, itinerary to itinerary and ship to ship.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: