Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
si-am
DIS Veteran

Just back -- AoA Little Mermaid

Just back from a 7 night stay at AoA Little Mermaid section. Don't you just hate when vacations are over?!

Here are some quick thoughts; let me know if you have any questions!

Distance: A lot of people ask how far Little Mermaid is from the food court/bus stops. We were in Building 8, pretty much the farthest away you can get. On the first day, it didn't seem very far at all, maybe a 5-7 minute walk. But by the third day, it was seeming pretty far, like "are we EVER going to get back to the room?" By the fifth day, we were driving the car to the bus stop every morning! Overall it's not too bad, but it's definitely the longest resort walk at Disney I've had, and I've stayed almost everywhere.

Room The theming was cute, and kids would definitely get a kick out of it. We were a party of adults (with 2 rooms) and I didn't mind it, but it was in no way subtle or romantic. Mousekeeping was great and brought us tons of toiletries and extra towels every day. There was a burned out lightbulb over the mirror which never got replaced during our entire 7 days there, which was kind of un-Disney like. The A/C was terrible. You couldn't turn it lower than 68 AND it shut off when no one was there (or moving) so the room got super stuffy. I can't imagine dealing with it in summer months.

Food court It was okay. I think Pop is better in this regard. I had a surf and turf burger once which was pretty decent. The fries were bad. The pizza (both individual and full-size delivery) wasn't good. The Caesar salad that came with it was overly dressed and almost inedible. We went to the Pop food court one night just because nothing at AoA was appealing at the time. I did like the omelets for breakfast! Very tasty.

Pool The Big Blue main pool was SUPER CROWDED on the few warm days we had, not many available chairs at all. The Little Mermaid pool was much quieter with not many people. We visited the Cars section and that pool was tiny but the cabanas were a nice touch and the theming was the best of any section. The weather was pretty cold for most of the trip so the pools were empty most evenings, but I tested the water one night and it was heated nicely. The gates to the pools were open for the entire trip, so we didn't have to use our room keys.

Transportation No issues, no long waits ever, either at the parks or at the resort.

Overall, I thought that AoA was beautifully themed and I'm glad I stayed there. I would probably choose Pop next time over AoA, but I'd still recommend it!

Last edited by si-am; 03-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
si-am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Thx for the review. Im on the fence with AoA because of the distance from the main building to the LM rooms. It makes me laugh that you drove from your building to the bus stop hahahaha. Love it! It tells me just how far it really is. Id probably drive too! Lol. I might try AoA for a night but no more than that. The food court at pop does seem better too...from what i've seen on the menu. Thx again.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
cab0ad
DIS Veteran

thanks for the review! I switched from AOA to POP just because of the reports of long walks (and the few hundred I saved with the spring discount) and I had been second guessing myself. Kinda happy I switched to POP although I do believe we'll walk over to AOA to try the food court!

cab0ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
dizneychik
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Thanks for the review! We'll be staying at AOA in May. We are a pretty active family but what would you suggest is the best LM bldg to request?

Be a blessing to others without the expectation that something will be given in return!

"My name is Mater. You know like Tow Mater" Mater (I love to hear my 4 year old Princess say this!!!)

dizneychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneychik View Post
Thanks for the review! We'll be staying at AOA in May. We are a pretty active family but what would you suggest is the best LM bldg to request?
7 and 9 are both closer. To be fair, I injured my foot halfway through the trip and walking was a bit painful at times, which is why towards the end the walk to building 8 seemed too far. Otherwise, I could have easily managed it but sometimes you just don't want a long walk to the room after a long day at the parks!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
tmanaster
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review!

I hope to stay here on our next trip.
Visit us at www.roadtriptheworld.com

Many DW visits as a child First Family Trip POR 2005 AS Movies 2006
ASMu/Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008 Pop Century 2010
Disney Princess Half Marathon~ Mom and Daughter trip! POR February 2011
Disney Princess Half Marathon Mom and Daughter trip! All Star Sports 2013
tmanaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
KELLY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
thanks for the review! I switched from AOA to POP just because of the reports of long walks (and the few hundred I saved with the spring discount) and I had been second guessing myself. Kinda happy I switched to POP although I do believe we'll walk over to AOA to try the food court!
That is what we did. We ate at AOA twice both time it was just ok. I preferred pop's food court and The main pool when we went by was super crowded and LM wasn't even open yet. I don't think we will be staying there. I think pop is our home now.

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
midwesterngirl
Earning My Ears

I am going to AoA in August and reserved a cars suite for my family, what is the walk like from this section of the resort? I've looked at maps and it looks close but its hard to tell actual distance from a resort map.
midwesterngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterngirl View Post
I am going to AoA in August and reserved a cars suite for my family, what is the walk like from this section of the resort? I've looked at maps and it looks close but its hard to tell actual distance from a resort map.
Very close! Not a bad walk at all.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
midwesterngirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am

Very close! Not a bad walk at all.
Thanks
midwesterngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Is the LM section too girly for a 5yo boy?
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313
Is the LM section too girly for a 5yo boy?
We have 3 boys who all was like begging not to stay in the LM section, when they got there they LOVED it!
The pics are of price Eric on the bedroom walls, the room is colourful and the bedcovers generic! The pool is heated to a hot tub temp so the boys loved this,
All in all they would go back and they are 7,7,10 and very boyish boys lol.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
Just back from a 7 night stay at AoA Little Mermaid section. Don't you just hate when vacations are over?!

Here are some quick thoughts; let me know if you have any questions!

Distance: A lot of people ask how far Little Mermaid is from the food court/bus stops. We were in Building 8, pretty much the farthest away you can get. On the first day, it didn't seem very far at all, maybe a 5-7 minute walk. But by the third day, it was seeming pretty far, like "are we EVER going to get back to the room?" By the fifth day, we were driving the car to the bus stop every morning! Overall it's not too bad, but it's definitely the longest resort walk at Disney I've had, and I've stayed almost everywhere.
I agree. I was there with another adult and a senior w/ mobility issues, using an ECV. We ended up driving to the food court and (just) taking her rollator. It was such a hike (and I am a runner) and the senior drives the ECV very slowly.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Thanks so much for the review!! DD5 begged us to stay at AoA this summer. We own DVC and I have gotten very spoiled so I wasn't thrilled about it, but DH reminded me (rightfully so) that it's about the kids...so, we are staying at AoA for 2 nights then moving. DD is thrilled though I am sure it will be fine....
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

We stayed at LM in the Ariel building at Thanksgiving and didn't think the walk was nearly as bad as staying at the 50's building at Pop. We're going there again in August so we'll see how it is in the heat. You really only have to go through the Lion King section to get there so it's really not bad at all. The pool at the LM section is nice but the Big Blue Pool is awesome. Looking forward to being able to go when it's warm enough to swim. We did swim last time but it was very cold. The kids loved it though.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: