Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
BrdwayBoy
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - S. Stroman.

Did I make a mistake?

I've booked a week long stay at the Polynesian for the end of August. I've always wanted to stay here, but after reading some reports about the less-than-stellar conditions of the resort and I'm hoping that I haven't made a mistake.
I know they are in the midst of refurbishing the Longhouses...

HELP!

BrdwayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

Heaven's no! The last refurb they did was a while ago, but the rooms are still very, very nice. It could be a little messy, but we stayed there during the last refurb and had no issues. The Poly is AMAZING! Check Tikiman's site and keep updated on the progress and request a room in a longhouse that has finished the refurb! I'm so jealous!! Poly is a favorite of ours!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
scjo68
DIS Veteran

We love the Poly.
We have stayed there twice, and have not had any problems.
The decor appeals to us, but it may not be to everyone's taste.
It is not what I would call over-the-top luxury or elegance. So if you are looking for that then the Poly may not be your "cup of tea".

I cannot comment on the refurbishments, as we stayed there over a year ago. But if I could get the same kind of rate we got then, I would book there again.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR

scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We booked the Poly for the first time several years ago, then kept second-guessing the choice based on some reviews. Well, we really enjoyed our time there. So if you've visited and like the place (or looked at lots of photos online) then I wouldn't be too worried. Not everyone likes the Poly -- but I think it's a great resort and it has very good options for transportation.

If you are concerned about the rooms you can always request a renovated one... some of the longhouses should be done by August.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
BrdwayBoy
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - S. Stroman.

Thank you for all of the replies. I stayed at AKL last year, and completely fell in love with. I'm going to do my best stop thinking about what I've read, and just enjoy my trip.

:-D

BrdwayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Here is the refurb schedule from Tikiman's site.
Now the schedule for start dates as it was presented (assume about 2 months approx. for completion):

Hawaii January 6
Samoa February 3
Niue/ Rarotonga March 3
Tokelau March 31
Aotearoa April 21
Tonga (lounge only but will be closed) May 5
Fiji May 19
Tuvalu June 16
Tahiti July 14
Rapa Nui August 11

I think it's fair to assume you'll end up in a completely refurbed room I'm staying at the POLY for my 1st time next month and most likely will NOT be in a new room, but I don't mind...from what I seem to be finding out, this resort as a whole is awesome and relaxing and has great restaurants and transportation and enables you to watch Wishes from your room (TPV/LV) or beach...what more could we ask for, right ? Relax, I think we are going to be "hooked" after our 1st POLY experience ! I cannot wait !

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Not every resort suits everyone's tastes, but you will never know if the Poly is for you unless you try it for yourself. With that said, after just one stay there, it is now our favorite resort. I had the same reservations after booking the Poly. I read many not-so-good reviews and started second guessing our choice and considered changing resorts. After giving it alot of thought, I decided to stick with it as the Poly was the one resort we always said that one day we will give it a try. We fell in the love with the resort the minute we checked in. We had a magical stay and loved everything about the Poly from the large rooms, the pool, the beach, Captain Cooks, etc. We have tried other resorts since our Poly stay (and have loved them all), but the Poly will always be our favorite and our #1 choice. Take the reviews with a grain of salt and give the Poly a try.....it really is a fabulous resort.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
toodycat
DIS Veteran

I am not a huge Poly booster, but it looks like you'll be there when the majority of the rooms are brand spanking new. Also at the end of August, rooms cost less and the parks are less crowded, so it is a good time to try a new resort. You won't be paying top dollar or struggling to get through holiday crowds. The Poly has very large rooms and the best transportation, so those two factors alone will make your trip more magical. Have a great time.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
fivedisfans
Earning My Ears

I don't think you'll regret it! We stayed at Poly for the first time last August and have now sworn that we'll never stay anywhere else! Location is excellent, grounds are beautiful, and our room was stunningly sparkling clean (and I am notoriously picky about hotel cleanliness). The ability to get Dole Whips any time is an added little bonus.
fivedisfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrdwayBoy View Post
I've booked a week long stay at the Polynesian for the end of August. I've always wanted to stay here, but after reading some reports about the less-than-stellar conditions of the resort and I'm hoping that I haven't made a mistake.
I know they are in the midst of refurbishing the Longhouses...

HELP!
Do yourself a favor and check out the reviews on Trip Advisor for the most objective. You're only going to get Poly fanatics on this board..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

We LOVED the Poly and would recommend staying there.

Pros:
1-The rooms are huge, day bed in every room and plenty of bathroom space
2-great location. Easy monorail access to MK or quick boat ride. Easy walk to TTC to catch EPCOT monorail. Good bus service to other locations-shares with GF and or CR, but does not take very long
3-Beautiful landscaping and theme. The Poly is beautiful and worth spending time just checking out the grounds
4-Great food options, on site. 24 hour Captain cooks, Ohana and Kona
5-Wishes from the beach, CGH or the pool. DH does not like to watch Wishes with the huge crowds at MK, but found watching Wishes at the Poly to be a pleasure.

Cons:
1-small pool for the size of the resort. The main Volcano pool is small and can get crowded. We liked the quiet pool better
2-design flaw with fridges. Even keeping the door to the fridge cabinet, our fridge would not keep our items cold enough. Luckily we brought two collapsible coolers with us.

August heat is brutal, taking a break during the most crowded and hottest part of the day is crucial. Staying at the Poly makes a mid-day break very easy. The Tikiman website has great maps of the property, longhouses and transportation times.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Pier60
Mouseketeer

We haved stayed AKL and Poly and found them to be similiar although being on the monorail line truimphs it for Poly. Loved them both!
Pier60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
shopgirl78
Mouseketeer

We loved, loved, loved the Poly. The pool is amazing!
March 2015 DCL/AoA

8 years 6 years 4 years
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
toonaspie
Just a poser

I wish I could afford to stay at the Polynesian. I say if this is your first time there, give it a chance and see how well it goes. One of the big plusses of the Poly is that the rooms are bigger compared to other deluxes. Room conditions are always a catch-22 regardless of what resort you end up staying at.
toonaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
clapton
Mouseketeer

Stayed at the Poly years ago. Always felt that it was outdated and worn looking.For the price I would rather stay at WL or BC . But everyone has their own favorites and opinions. So if you really want to try it that's what you should do. I'm sure you'll have a great time. After all your in Disney!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: