Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

If you were bringing first timers, where would you bring them?

Bringing my Aunt, Uncle (early 70s), my cousin and his wife and children to WDW in December. We are DVCers and invited them to stay a week with us. The boys are 5 and 8. First time visit for all of them. We will be doing the regular dining plan. What restaurants should we reserve? Any opinions for character meals?

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

Garden Grille for dinner and Tusker House for breakfast are great character meals.
Kids love Coral Reef esp. if you are near the tanks or Rainforest Cafe
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

Oh and definitly try to get Be Our Guest. It's new, in a castle, the beast visits for dinner, and the food is very good for a one credit.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

50's Prime Time might be a fun place for everyone -will certainly appeal to all generations. As you know most character meals are buffet...not sure if your Aunt and Uncle will like that - but Ohana breakfast is family style and has Lilo and Stitch and it's good.

Whispering Canyon may be fun for everyone - and it can be family style or individual entrees - Liberty Tree is also good food - family style for dinner.

As far as character meals...food wise I think CP is the best for all meals - BL&D. Not sure if the kids are into Pooh Characters.

We also like Kouzzinas very much - nothing special about atmosphere, but great food.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
VillianDiva
Falling in LOVE with Disney!

For the Kids:
Crystal Palace or Tusker House for breakfast
Sci-Fi in HS

Adults:
There are so many it's hard to choose!
Via Napoli
BOG
Chefs De France
Kouzzina

'08 (Dolphin) , '09 (All-Star Music),
Disneyland 2011, and 2012 (POP)!

December 2013! (POFQ)
May 2014! POP!!
VillianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We LOVE 50's Prime Time Cafe in HS and I would definitely try that. We really enjoyed Sci-Fi too but the seating may be a bit odd with your groups possibly being divided up into smaller groups of 2.
I agree with the above suggestion - for the boys, I would do T-Rex in Downtown Disney. You have to make reservations early but as 2 adults we really enjoyed the food too. I wouldn't do Rainforest and T-Rex because they are similar.
For a character meal, our favorite is the crystal palace with pooh and friends in the Magic Kingdom.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
kimber11
Kimberley

Chef Mickeys is a must for 5 and 8 year old boys and I would also recommend Hollywood and Vine if they like watching Disney Junior.
kimber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
IllinoisMommy
Mouseketeer

My boys would have loved T-Rex and Chef Mickeys at that age. Actually- last trip they were disappointed that we did not do Chef Mickeys. Yes, it is a bit loud but we love the classic characters and the celebratory atmosphere. If you don't eat at T-rex (at DTD) it is worth it to stop in the gift shop. My sons loved buying/smashing geodes.

Disneyworld, Off-site 1981; Disneyland, Disneyland Hotel 1983; Disneyworld, Off-site 1992; Disneyworld, Off-site 1997 ; Disneyworld, Old Key West 2003; Disneyworld, POFQ 2007; Disneyworld and Universal, Offsite Christmas 2012
EPCOT Family of the Day, 12-24-12
Hopeful future DVC members
IllinoisMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

This is what I am thinking:

Hoop Dee Do Revue
O'Hana
50's Prime Time Cafe
Be Our Guest
Cape May Cafe - breakfast
Yachtsmen Steakhouse

My aunt and uncle will love the character meals...they will enjoy watching their grandchildren interact with the characters!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post

Hoop Dee Do Revue
O'Hana
50's Prime Time Cafe
Be Our Guest
Yachtsmen Steakhouse

My aunt and uncle will love the character meals...they will enjoy watching their grandchildren interact with the characters!

We have done all of those, except Hoop Dee Do and enjoyed them all - food and atmosphere. I'd recommend trying to get an O'Hana ressie so that you are done in time and can go sit on the beach and watch the fireworks afterwards.

We liked the food at Yachtsmen, but not sure if kids would enjoy the atmosphere. I'd go with TRex for boys that age!

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Bringing my Aunt, Uncle (early 70s), my cousin and his wife and children to WDW in December. We are DVCers and invited them to stay a week with us. The boys are 5 and 8. First time visit for all of them. We will be doing the regular dining plan. What restaurants should we reserve? Any opinions for character meals?
T-Rex for the boys

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We went on a family trip in February with several first timers in our group. We were not on the dining plan but used my TIW card, and since the grandparents were picking up all the meals I tried to pick choices that were more reasonable.

We went to Via Napoli (a huge hit), Sci Fi (another huge hit, they were so amused to sit in the cars and loved the shakes), the Plaza, Tusker House breakfast (the overall favorite), and Akerhaus breakfast (or however you spell it).

Couldn't get Be Our Guest for dinner so went for lunch and it was also a hit.

Since you are on the dining plan, I would consider Cape May Cafe for either breakfast or dinner, Tusker House for breakfast or lunch, 'Ohana for dinner, Tutto Italia, Chefs de France or Biergarten and Be Our Guest if you can get it.

I don't usually go to 2ts restaurants when on the dining plan just because we prefer one sit down each day.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For breakfast:
We always enjoyed TH (our then fav.)
Now after going to 1900 PF this is now our fav.
Ohanas breakfast is actually pretty good too.

For Lunch:
Crystal Palace has some good interaction food is avg.
Same for Garden Grill ( same reasons )
Coral Reef no characters, but a lot of Character ..LoL Fun too.

For Dinner:
Chef Mickeys we enjoyed ..Very good interaction
Other than this one & Akershus we haven't done many dinner w/ characters.

But There's so many Great rest. to choose from.

And being that you're staying at BCV I definetely would try an get an ADR for the Yachtsman, & Cape May ( heard good things about it )& try some of the BW Ts rest. too All are good...

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybird55 View Post
50's Prime Time might be a fun place for everyone -will certainly appeal to all generations. As you know most character meals are buffet...not sure if your Aunt and Uncle will like that - but Ohana breakfast is family style and has Lilo and Stitch and it's good.

Whispering Canyon may be fun for everyone - and it can be family style or individual entrees - Liberty Tree is also good food - family style for dinner.

As far as character meals...food wise I think CP is the best for all meals - BL&D. Not sure if the kids are into Pooh Characters.

We also like Kouzzinas very much - nothing special about atmosphere, but great food.
Whispering Canyon no longer has a la carte choices at dinner. It is the all you care to eat platter, not the skillet. At lunch there is no longer a skillet option at all. It is a big change and I wanted you to understand the current choices.

Quote:

Hoop Dee Do Revue
O'Hana
50's Prime Time Cafe
Be Our Guest
Yachtsmen Steakhouse

I think your plan is Excellent. My #1 suggestion was going to be HDDR. Pure Disney and great fun for your ages. 'OHana is good food and fun atmosphere. We love 50's PTC and I think your aunt and uncle will get a hoot out of it. We haven't been to BOG yet - good luck getting an ADR. Of all your choices the only one I wouldn't recommend, and I am in the minority here on the DIS, is Yachtsmen. We will never return. We tried 3 times and just didn't enjoy our entrees. The restaurant is beautiful, the service was great and the onion rolls are to die for. But everything was just not good.
Have Fun
Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully

Whispering Canyon no longer has a la carte choices at dinner. It is the all you care to eat platter, not the skillet. At lunch there is no longer a skillet option at all. It is a big change and I wanted you to understand the current choices.

I think your plan is Excellent. My #1 suggestion was going to be HDDR. Pure Disney and great fun for your ages. 'OHana is good food and fun atmosphere. We love 50's PTC and I think your aunt and uncle will get a hoot out of it. We haven't been to BOG yet - good luck getting an ADR. Of all your choices the only one I wouldn't recommend, and I am in the minority here on the DIS, is Yachtsmen. We will never return. We tried 3 times and just didn't enjoy our entrees. The restaurant is beautiful, the service was great and the onion rolls are to die for. But everything was just not good.
Have Fun
We have eaten at all of these before except BOG which we have a ADR for dinner in June. I had no problem getting the ADR for this somewhere between the 5-6 month mark. If we love it we will book for December too. We had a wonderful experience at Yachtsmen! Our waiter was so attentive...the best service we have experienced at WDW....perhaps anywhere! Our food was excellent! Curious, what entrees did you order? HDDR is always a favorite of ours!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: