Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Dani's First Time
Mouseketeer

DVC and Free Dining

Hi all,

I'm considering booking a DVC rental through David's. It would be my first time going this route but the savings in lodging costs look to be huge! I know I pay in advance once he secures the points.

Here is my question - if free dining offers come out, can I qualify or only if I book the Villa through Disney reservations?

This makes the math a little trickier - do I save the money on lodging or go with free dining?

Hmmm . . . I just want to go to Disney!!

Thanks,
Dani
Dani's First Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Nope, no free dining on a DVC points reservation. All of those promotions come from Disney, to entice people to book resort room inventory that they own.

When you rent points, you're using someone's timeshare. The division of Disney that offers free dining doesn't get any money from points reservations, so there's no reason for them to offer it in that situation.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Free dining is only if you book directly through WDW so if you rent DVD points it is not available.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

And, as you may already know, renting DVC points is usually non-refundable. So if you go that route, you won't be able to get a refund and book through Disney if it offers free dining later on.

The trade-off is you'll get a room for cheap enough that you can probably pay for dining plan and it will still be cheaper than your Disney resort room with "free" dining.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
DVCismyhappyplace
Mouseketeer

There is no free dining at DVC. However, DVC members do not pay the seasonal uptick on the dining package prices. Also, depending on what size accomodations you get, you may not need the dining package because with a one bedroom, you will have a full kitchen, making it easy to have meals in the unit.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

DVC points stays are already discounted. "free" dining usually requires booking a room at full rack rates.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani's First Time
Hi all,

I'm considering booking a DVC rental through David's. It would be my first time going this route but the savings in lodging costs look to be huge! I know I pay in advance once he secures the points.

Here is my question - if free dining offers come out, can I qualify or only if I book the Villa through Disney reservations?

This makes the math a little trickier - do I save the money on lodging or go with free dining?

Hmmm . . . I just want to go to Disney!!

Thanks,
Dani
Saving with lodging is always a better deal
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Have you looked into renting directly from the owners at mouse owners, they usually charge $10-$11 a point.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: