Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!
 
Lollipop's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,993

Warning: Do Not buy the Allianz insurance through DCL!

If anyone remembers my troubles not getting on the Feb 9th cruise with my very ill daughter.

Well now the insurance battle comes into play.

I will preface this by saying:
YES I should have read the policy better and trusted the Disney name way too much and didn't really read the policy properly. I can only blame myself, but do feel DCL should be selling a better product to their customers, and I will be contacting them about this.
I never in a million years thought I would have to actually use the insurance, so went with the flow, took a quick peek at the policy, but never imagined having to use it.
I am not having a pity party for myself -I have lost about $2000 and just have to deal with it and call it a loss
But need to warn others before they are in my situation.

So here is why you should NOT use it (vs. other insuremytrip.com policies I have now reviewed):

1. It only covers anything you personally bought via DCL. Does not cover any pre-paid hotels, any airfare, etc.. unless you booked it through DCL. If you had to cancel your trip before you left home, you are out your airfare and other pre-paid non-refundable expenses.
2. They will not cover us for trip interuption where we were stuck in Florida. They will only cover up to the cruise cost. I incurred about $1400 in hotel and food expenses while my daughter was recovering. We did not have fun -we spent 85% of our time in the room, with her vomiting and sick. They do not count this as a travel delay because she was not officially quarentined or in the hospital. She could NOT travel - she could barely stand up, but they won't cover it. If I had know this, I would have gone and let her puke for a week in a $29 travelodge. When I called Allianz I was assured everything was covered up to $150 a day each, but they have changed their tune. I am fighting this.
Now, if I had decided to take her home, puking on the plane and all that, and had to change my flights, they would have paid for my flight change. Last minute flight changes probably would have cost about $800, but no airline would have even let her fly in her condition. She was vomiting every half hour. I told them this and they of course don't care, because they are not in the business of being 'nice', they are in the insurance business.

So basically where it has left me:
Out $600 in airfare
Out $1000 in hotel stay
Out $400 in food
plus whatever else I can't think of..... But about 2 grand for sitting in a room watching my daughter vomit.

So moral of the story for everyone - learn from me. READ THAT POLICY. Buy from insuremytrip.com or elsewhere and see what is covered. If you or your child gets ill and causes you to completely miss your trip, are you covered for that ON TOP of your cruise expense?
Allianz DCL insurance will ONLY cover up to the cruise expense. Not a penny more for any reason.

Expensive lesson, but hopefully my lesson saves you $$$
__________________
Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 26,472

Sorry to hear you have to battle them. I am surprised they don't cover it under trip interruption.

Back in 2004 we had to deal with a hurricane (not sickness) where the ship was delayed for 2 days and we had to stay at the Poly for 2 extra days and keep the rental car for 2 extra days and of course food for 2 extra days. It was all covered under our trip insurance under the trip interruption clause. We received a check for everything.

It is so frustrating to figure out a proper policy. but, one thing I do now is to book independent insurance for my whole trip from the day I leave the house to the day I get back...not just the cruise.

Good luck.

MJ
__________________
30 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,660

I know you are frustrated, but you bought insurance for your cruise, not for you pre-cruise stay or travel. The premium for your insurance is based on the price of your trip, and for them your price was the cruise.

Some people book everything through Disney, and basically have door to door coverage because the cost of the entire trip is used in figuring out the premium for the insurance. Say a family decided to go to WDW for a week before the cruise and had airfare and a suite at the Contemporary and got sick before they even left home. Would it be fair for the insurance company to cover those costs when another family booked the same cabin on the cruise, paid the same insurance premium (for the cruise only), but lived in Florida so only cancelled the actual cruise?

If you had booked insurance through another insurer, and you wanted the coverage from door to door, they would have based the premium on the entire cost of your vacation, not just on the cruise portion. You can buy trip insurance just from the airline for just the airfare, or you can book hotels with a cancellation policy you like (may have to pay a little more for the 'insurance' to be able to cancel). You bought cruise insurance, and that's what you got. They are refunding the cost of your cruise, correct? You weren't yet checked in to the cruise when your daughter got sick, so you weren't yet covered by the cruise insurance. Just like with auto insurance or health insurance, there is an effective time when the policy begins. If you are in an accident on the way to buy insurance, you aren't going to have coverage.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I know you are frustrated, but you bought insurance for your cruise, not for you pre-cruise stay or travel. The premium for your insurance is based on the price of your trip, and for them your price was the cruise.

Some people book everything through Disney, and basically have door to door coverage because the cost of the entire trip is used in figuring out the premium for the insurance. Say a family decided to go to WDW for a week before the cruise and had airfare and a suite at the Contemporary and got sick before they even left home. Would it be fair for the insurance company to cover those costs when another family booked the same cabin on the cruise, paid the same insurance premium (for the cruise only), but lived in Florida so only cancelled the actual cruise?

If you had booked insurance through another insurer, and you wanted the coverage from door to door, they would have based the premium on the entire cost of your vacation, not just on the cruise portion. You can buy trip insurance just from the airline for just the airfare, or you can book hotels with a cancellation policy you like (may have to pay a little more for the 'insurance' to be able to cancel). You bought cruise insurance, and that's what you got. They are refunding the cost of your cruise, correct? You weren't yet checked in to the cruise when your daughter got sick, so you weren't yet covered by the cruise insurance. Just like with auto insurance or health insurance, there is an effective time when the policy begins. If you are in an accident on the way to buy insurance, you aren't going to have coverage.

Nancy
If you have Costco as your agent, they base the insurance on the cost of the cruise only, but cover the flights and hotels as well. And you get preexisting coverage if bought within 24 hours of final payment. So, your scenario isn't always right. You just have to have the right policy.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
If you have Costco as your agent, they base the insurance on the cost of the cruise only, but cover the flights and hotels as well. And you get preexisting coverage if bought within 24 hours of final payment. So, your scenario isn't always right. You just have to have the right policy.

I'm sure there are limits on the Costco (or other) insurance policies too. If you leave your house and fly to WDW and stay there for 2 weeks before going on the cruise, and all you've bought is insurance for the cruise, I doubt your 2 weeks would be covered. There has to be a dollar limit or at the very least a time when the policy kicks in, like maybe 24 hours before the cruise. If you fly 1st class and only pay for the coverage for the cruise, again I think there will be limits on what you can recover.

No policy is going to cover everything, so just know what is covered. The OP gave a good warning.

Nancy.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 47,988

When you purchase a travel insurance policy on your own you give the dates of travel from the time you leave your home to the time you return to your home, no matter how long it is. We were covered for three weeks when we did the PC repo because we stayed in CA for a week prior to the cruise. You tell them how much the cost of the trip is, and your premium is based on that -- along with the age of each person traveling.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013


DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Justacruiser
Military Veteran
 
Justacruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
If anyone remembers my troubles not getting on the Feb 9th cruise with my very ill daughter.

Well now the insurance battle comes into play.

I will preface this by saying:
YES I should have read the policy better and trusted the Disney name way too much and didn't really read the policy properly. I can only blame myself, but do feel DCL should be selling a better product to their customers, and I will be contacting them about this.
I never in a million years thought I would have to actually use the insurance, so went with the flow, took a quick peek at the policy, but never imagined having to use it.
I am not having a pity party for myself -I have lost about $2000 and just have to deal with it and call it a loss
But need to warn others before they are in my situation.

So here is why you should NOT use it (vs. other insuremytrip.com policies I have now reviewed):

1. It only covers anything you personally bought via DCL. Does not cover any pre-paid hotels, any airfare, etc.. unless you booked it through DCL. If you had to cancel your trip before you left home, you are out your airfare and other pre-paid non-refundable expenses.
2. They will not cover us for trip interuption where we were stuck in Florida. They will only cover up to the cruise cost. I incurred about $1400 in hotel and food expenses while my daughter was recovering. We did not have fun -we spent 85% of our time in the room, with her vomiting and sick. They do not count this as a travel delay because she was not officially quarentined or in the hospital. She could NOT travel - she could barely stand up, but they won't cover it. If I had know this, I would have gone and let her puke for a week in a $29 travelodge. When I called Allianz I was assured everything was covered up to $150 a day each, but they have changed their tune. I am fighting this.
Now, if I had decided to take her home, puking on the plane and all that, and had to change my flights, they would have paid for my flight change. Last minute flight changes probably would have cost about $800, but no airline would have even let her fly in her condition. She was vomiting every half hour. I told them this and they of course don't care, because they are not in the business of being 'nice', they are in the insurance business.

So basically where it has left me:
Out $600 in airfare
Out $1000 in hotel stay
Out $400 in food
plus whatever else I can't think of..... But about 2 grand for sitting in a room watching my daughter vomit.

So moral of the story for everyone - learn from me. READ THAT POLICY. Buy from insuremytrip.com or elsewhere and see what is covered. If you or your child gets ill and causes you to completely miss your trip, are you covered for that ON TOP of your cruise expense?
Allianz DCL insurance will ONLY cover up to the cruise expense. Not a penny more for any reason.

Expensive lesson, but hopefully my lesson saves you $$$
sorry to hear of your bad experience.
__________________
Upcoming Cruises: B2B - Dream 4/14

Total: 18 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 103 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 5, FANTASY - 2
Justacruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!
 
Lollipop's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,993

They only cover up to the cost of the cruise with interruption.
So my cruise was $3200, they cover up to that and that is IT. Well thats my cruise money back - they worded it quite well in thier policy so you think differently though.
__________________
Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!
 
Lollipop's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,993

Yes nancy that is what I said. I know it's my own fault and I'm simply warning others. I THOUGHT I had door to door coverage. Simple as that. Others might think they do too, so simply a warning.
You clearly did not read my entire post.
__________________
Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Namsupak
DIS Veteran
 
Namsupak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,855

I won't argue with you about the insurance thing as well and I did read your entire post. However maybe the title of the thread should be. Warning: Please read your trip insurance policy before buying. Or something of that nature. You will probably get a lot less flack.
__________________
Lauren
Married May 26, 2008 Epcot's Japan/Adventurer's Club/Living Seas Salon
DD Lorelei Born 2009, Jameson Born 2012

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Bonniec
DIS Veteran
 
Bonniec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak
I won't argue with you about the insurance thing as well and I did read your entire post. However maybe the title of the thread should be. Warning: Please read your trip insurance policy before buying. Or something of that nature. You will probably get a lot less flack.
Agreed. The title of this thread makes it sound like they are ripping people off and that's not the case. It really should be a warning about being careful and making sure you know what you are buying. There are many negatives to insurance through DCL, but there are positives too. I went with them because I know that if we cant make our cruise and insurance declines, we will get a credit. For my needs, that was most important.

I'm sorry about your vacation though. I followed your other thread and it's very sad that everything had to suck so much. I've been planning my trip for years. I think I would lose my mind.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Bonniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Beermam42
Grit and bear it
 
Beermam42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 360

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Yes nancy that is what I said. I know it's my own fault and I'm simply warning others. I THOUGHT I had door to door coverage. Simple as that. Others might think they do too, so simply a warning.
You clearly did not read my entire post.
As a life long insurance agent, your warning should be listed to. Also suggest that people fine a good travel agency in their home area and talk with experienced agent that knows the ropes.
__________________
BEERMAN42
DISNEY FANTASY MAY 31, 2014
WDW JUNE 8 DAYS 2013
DISNEY MAGIC FEB 9-13, 2013
DISNEYLAND 1954 OPENING YEAR & 1977
WDW 1972 OPENING YEAR
WDW 1974 THROUGH JUNE 2013 CAN'T COUNT
HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW 21 TIMES
RIVER COUNTRY
ROAD STEAM TRAIN IN FT WILDERNESS
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 43,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
I've always wondered about trip insurance. Generally we're traveling on points so I can't really put a $ amount on that.
DVC has travel insurance now. It ends up covering the cost of the maintenance fees on the points you would otherwise lose. You have to pay the premium per Use Year, so if you're borrowing and banking and using current UY, that's 3 premiums.


Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Is this also true if you don't get the insurance though? I thought they also let you do that if you can't make it. You don't get your money back but they will apply it to a new cruise. I could totally have that wrong.
No I think you have to actually buy their product. It wouldn't work for me, because living in WA I canNOT buy their product. (or rather they cannot sell me their product)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
So, what is the best insurance to buy? I want something that covers it all, door to door if my MIL (heaven forbid) dies 2 days before we leave? Or I have a medical emergency and need to be air-lifted off the ship in Alaska (yup, nearly happened to me)?
You want the pre-existing condition clause (which Disney does NOT have, which is why they cannot sell in WA where it is required (and that might be why Costco's insurance has the PEC, because they are based in WA)). You want to buy it early, and every time you add something else to your trip you want to call them within the time period they tell you, even if it doesn't increase your insurance cost. For instance, we upgraded our stateroom to concierge, and we had to call them to let them know, even though it only increased our price by under $400 and didn't bring us up to the next 1K mark where the price would have changed. But we still had to let them know officially.

You want to talk to the people where you're buying it (like insuremytrip), let them know what you need, and make sure what you buy meets your needs.
__________________

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 3,973

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
..... You want the pre-existing condition clause (which Disney does NOT have, which is why they cannot sell in WA where it is required (and that might be why Costco's insurance has the PEC, because they are based in WA))......
Interesting about Costco, WA, and the PEC availability. Thanks
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #15
bigtony777
Disney Veteran
 
bigtony777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 402

So sorry about your whole situation. I know from reading your previous thread that the initial ordeal was bad enough. I agree that one needs to really read through the policy before buying. I do have a couple of suggestions for future purchases and possibly in your situation.

1. Look into what is covered in by your credit card. Mine will cover lost or delayed baggage, rental car damage and trip cancellation due to airline cancellations. So look into what your cards cover and possible switch to another card.

2. Record all phone calls when calling into customer service for any issues. Find an app like Call Spy that will record both sides of your phone calls. As long as one side states the call is recorded, then both sides can record it. When was the last time you made a call to customer service and didn't hear, "This call may be recorded for training/quality ...." They record to cover themselves, do the same to prove what was said.

3. I agree with a previous poster. Look into Costco if you have one remotely close to you. I haven't seen anyone come close to their cash card as far as % back based on the cost of your cruise. I have found that they also partner with a great insurance company that covers more and costs less.
__________________
Anthony

Upcoming: 7/14 - BWV, 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2)

2014: Jan - VGC, Mar - BLT
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.