Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Figg
Earning My Ears

Question How do you eat?

When visiting, do you have a table service reservation for every night you are there? I hate that I have to make reservations for meals and not be able to depend on what our moods/situations are. Any tips or strategies for this?
Figg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Yes i pretty much have an ADR for each day of our trip. I plan my park days around that....but then again not really cause we do get park hoppers. So we can go to whichever park we want.

I have a tip...You can make a few of your fave adrs and wing it with the rest. i've done a few walk-ups and was successful at getting a table. The other thing is, when you know which park you'll be at for the day, go to your resort concierge OR at guest services in the park and ask them to search for reservations for you. As long as your not picky with the time or food, there'll always be a few choices for you.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We have a dinner together every evening as a family at home, and we do the same on vacation. I like planning in advance.
We first choose which park, which day based on our knowledge of crowd patterns and the web sites with crowd estimates. Once we have decided which park we will be in we choose a restaurant in or near that park and make an ADR for our desired time.
That is the extent of the "planning" we do. We go with the flow for that day, but are happy to know that we have a dinner reservation at the restuarant fo our choice.
If you don't like planning in advance or if you like to go with the flow, I would not get the regular DDP. To maximize the value, you need to have ADR's up to 180 days in advance to insure you can use your TS credits. Maybe the QS plan which is 2 QS meals a day would work for you. YOu don't need any reservations for the QS places, you stand in line and wait for your food.
Good Luck
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
We have a dinner together every evening as a family at home, and we do the same on vacation. I like planning in advance.
We first choose which park, which day based on our knowledge of crowd patterns and the web sites with crowd estimates. Once we have decided which park we will be in we choose a restaurant in or near that park and make an ADR for our desired time.
That is the extent of the "planning" we do. We go with the flow for that day, but are happy to know that we have a dinner reservation at the restuarant fo our choice.
This is us exactly. With one exception. If we plan to spend the entire day at the MK, we do two CS meals. We simply do not enjoy any TS option at the MK so we don't bother. (Though, next time around, we will try BoG).

One of my pet peeves is is walking in to a restaurant and being told that the wait is 45 minutes to an hour and being handed a light-up UFO, only to have to hang around a crowded, uncomfortable holding pen listening to other people's conversations. Truly, that is my idea of Hades, and I'm not talking about James Woods here. I hate it at WDW and I hate it everywhere else I go. I am an Open Table "super user", and I am an ADR nut as well. Free form travel is great if you can walk in and be seated, or have a modest wait. But free form dining at WDW carries a price tag of about 30-45 minutes at most places, and a cost of being completely shut out at some of the better ones. That cost is simply too high for me. Do I wish that the ADR system could go back to the PS method of 30 or 60 days? Sure. Making ADRs 180 days out is nuts. But I will take that over: "Sorry sir. We have nothing before 9:30 if you care to wait."
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Over the course of our week, we usually do 2 or 3 sit down restaurants.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
Over the course of our week, we usually do 2 or 3 sit down restaurants.
Me, too. There are lots of good QS options, and I find I don't need/want too many TS meals.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We hit up EoS and Fudruckers but we mostly do sit down meals. We make a couple of ADRS, usually a couple of lunches and a dinner then figure it out as we go. We always rent a car so we'll sometimes go off sight to eat.

Last edited by cluvsdisney; 03-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
3SpoiledPrincesses
Mouseketeer

Normally we would only make Character ADR's. But, this time around I made an ADR everyday, in the middle of the day. We are going in August and it will be HOT. My thinking is that we have a guaranteed COLD place to sit down in to cool off and rest. We don't eat a lot of fast food type foods so I am hoping with my ADR choices that we at least get one good meal a day.
3SpoiledPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
nellyru
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

We are going to try going with no reservations or dining plan for the first time.

I'm really excited about it.

Especially looking forward to not having to be somewhere at a set time.

I also believe it will end up being cheaper for us than using the dining plan.

Plus- my youngest barely ate any of his food last time.
He is much more of a small meal/snacker than a big meal kinda guy!!

Any thoughts from others who have done this!?
nellyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

I make a ressie for every day. Dining is an important part of our WDW vacations.

jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

Years ago

we did three big meals a day and even with all the walking we felt like slugs and would come home feeling like we gained 15 lbs.

Then a few years later we decided to cut out lunch and only do TS breakfast and dinner. This was fine as long as we got plenty of exersise.

8 years ago I bought into DVC and than changed everything! We now eat most breakfasts in the villa with a Trails End and Olivia's thrown in for good measure. We still found huge dinners to weigh us down so we made the change to having our big meal of the day at lunch. Most of the time it is after 2:30 which alowed us morning park time, afternoon pool time and then a nice meal. It has been that way for 5 years now and it works perfect for us.

I am not happy about the all day menus some places are switching to as the meals are pretty heavy and we prefer a lighter meal.

Our favs for lunch are LTT, 50's Prime Time, The Plaza, Via NApoli, GF Cafe, Le Chefs de France and Biergarten

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #12
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

We have three ADR's for a two week trip.

We might see if we can get some last-minute spots if we want to at that time. If we can't we'll do CS since there is plenty of choice there too.

We doný like planning too much since we like to decide on the moment what we feel like having

We have hoppers so it's easy enough to go somewhere else. We also are very relaxed travellers who DO plan but not too tightly. And we go in early may which isn't extremely busy.
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Figg
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies! We are not doing the dining plan or any character meals (ds is 17 and SO not interested, lol). I ended up making 5 reservations for our 7 day trip. I am hoping that since we are going the last week of August that if we do decide we really have to have a table service somewhere, that we will have decent luck.

Arrival night dinner at Boma
Lunch at Sanaa
Dinner at Kouzzina
Lunch at Chef de France
Breakfast at Kona Cafe

What do you think?
Figg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figg
Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies! We are not doing the dining plan or any character meals (ds is 17 and SO not interested, lol). I ended up making 5 reservations for our 7 day trip. I am hoping that since we are going the last week of August that if we do decide we really have to have a table service somewhere, that we will have decent luck.

Arrival night dinner at Boma
Lunch at Sanaa
Dinner at Kouzzina
Lunch at Chef de France
Breakfast at Kona Cafe

What do you think?
Those sound great! We've only done boma breakfast and can't wait to do dinner. I've heard the soups are out of this world! We love Les Chefs and we also love Kona breakfast. Haven't done Sanaa yet and we did Kouzzina for breakfast which was awesome. Have a magical trip!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

We often travel with no ADR's at all for shorter trips. For longer trips I will have a few in my pocket, but if I don't feel like it on that day I am sure to call and cancel them.
I never let my pre-arrival dining plans dictate what we want to do each day once we are there.
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: