Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Lwoodward911
Earning My Ears

TA or Book Myself?

I was just given the thumbs up on booking my first Disney cruise. I love to plan my WDW vacations myself and can spend hours pouring over all the details. I really enjoy it. That being said, should I use a TA to book the cruise or can a reasonably smart person book it themselves and not miss anything? Should I give up the control for peace of mind? TIA
Lwoodward911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwoodward911 View Post
I was just given the thumbs up on booking my first Disney cruise. I love to plan my WDW vacations myself and can spend hours pouring over all the details. I really enjoy it. That being said, should I use a TA to book the cruise or can a reasonably smart person book it themselves and not miss anything? Should I give up the control for peace of mind? TIA
One of the things you may miss out on if you book yourself, is that some TAs will give an OBC and/or send a gift to your stateroom when you sail.

I know my TA does.
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Lwoodward911
Earning My Ears

That is what I am trying to figure out-is it worth the 250 onboard credit/gift in room to give up control? Hmm I would love to hear thoughts from those who have booked themselves and it went well or that it didnt go well and why.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure what control you feel like you're giving up? I am fairly new to cruising (this only my second), so I may be missing something. I know you have to go through the TA to make payments, but other than that, I've told my TA what I want and she has gotten it for me, including the stateroom I want, noted that we want to sit alone as a family, which server we prefer, and that we are celebrating our anniversary. I booked our first one by myself, but used a TA this year to get the onboard credit. I plan to use her again, as I have not had any trouble at all and can always use an extra $250.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Not like WDW... By booking with a TA the only thing you loose control of is payments or changing a room or category - these must be done by the TA.

But you still have control of the online check in process, excursions and even calling DCL for questions. It is a no brainier.

I would do the homework myself, and select a category and room, then call or email the TA to book.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
desamnik
Mouseketeer

We have booked ours through....

Costco and gotten a gift card back a couple of weeks after the cruise. the gift cards go up in value based on the level stateroom you choose. We had a 5c in November and got back $330. I dont think the TA's match that amount, I could be wrong. Just giving you another option, if you have a Costco Membership.
desamnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desamnik
Costco and gotten a gift card back a couple of weeks after the cruise. the gift cards go up in value based on the level stateroom you choose. We had a 5c in November and got back $330. I dont think the TA's match that amount, I could be wrong. Just giving you another option, if you have a Costco Membership.
This is intriguing to me also. I didn't know about this when I booked before and may try this option next.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Lwoodward911
Earning My Ears

Maybe it is not a control issue per se-just not wanting to go thru another person when it comes time to booking or finalizing plans. I have always just done my travel plans directly. I will probably use a TA, bc I have not cruised on DCL before. My husband and I cruised last year and it was through a company he works for. The TA who booked it nearly cost us the trip bc at the last minute she cancelled our flights. If we had not been on top of things checking our flights ourselves, we would have arrived at the airport with no flights and then missed the ship. I do like to do a lot of the planning myself-that is some of the fun for me. I am fairly certain of what I want and when I want to go, I know the prices, i can see them on the screen as well as the TA, just wondering if I press send or let the TA and get the OBC.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwoodward911
Maybe it is not a control issue per se-just not wanting to go thru another person when it comes time to booking or finalizing plans. I have always just done my travel plans directly. I will probably use a TA, bc I have not cruised on DCL before. My husband and I cruised last year and it was through a company he works for. The TA who booked it nearly cost us the trip bc at the last minute she cancelled our flights. If we had not been on top of things checking our flights ourselves, we would have arrived at the airport with no flights and then missed the ship. I do like to do a lot of the planning myself-that is some of the fun for me. I am fairly certain of what I want and when I want to go, I know the prices, i can see them on the screen as well as the TA, just wondering if I press send or let the TA and get the OBC.
You sound a lot like me. I've always planned our vacations and often my friends' as well. I feel like I've planned my vacation this time too, as I've directed her in everything she's done. However, do what is most comfortable to you. I wouldn't want to convince you of anything and have you regret it later. I did book my own flights, my hotel before the cruise, and my transportation to port. I only used her for the cruise portion. Good luck, and seriously, do what makes you feel most comfortable.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Jenngoofys
Goofyjenn

We booked a WDW vacation ourselves and finalized all of our dining and such, then transferred the reservation over to a TA because we liked the gifts they were offering she really did nothing but still got commission and we got a couple extras for ourselves a win, win!! I plan on doing the same with our upcoming cruise we have it booked and when we are ready we will transfer it over to a TA for the onboard credits! Currently looking into who offers what, onboard credit, kids gifts, and stateroom gifts. It's nice to get a little extra for yourself and know you're helping to keep a person in business

Jenngoofys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #11
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

My plan exactly! Love the planning almost as much as the going but I want to support someone too! Win win!
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

If you're going to transfer a booking to a TA, remember you only have 30 days to do it. (new DCL policy.)

We usually book our own air and hotels, unless we're going somewhere we're not familiar with, like New Zealand. Then it's more convenient to have a TA who's been there/done that to take care of us. After a 16-hr over-night flight with very little sleep, I was so relieved to have a limo driver greet us at the airport i nearly cried.

If you're trying to book a popular cruise on the first day, it's sooo nice to have a TA take care of it instead of sitting "on hold" forever, hoping there's space available when it's finally your turn.

If my TA canceled our flights I'd be lookin for a new TA! Ours has fought our battles for us -- has pulled more than one rabbit out of her hat. She was able to book a "sold out" Christmas cruise for 20+ people with very little notice. Another cruise there was a booking problem (NCL's incompetence) and she escalated it to a vice president to get satisfaction, including a free dinner at their upscale restaurant. There's no way we could have done it without her.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I booked brought Dreams Unlimited (forum owners here), got the OBC and still have control over any reservations I want to make. The only thing I gave up is if I have to actually cancel or switch to a different cruise.

The only reason I used a TA was because of the OBC
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
Lwoodward911
Earning My Ears

These are all helpful ideas! Thank you!! Since the trip was a free be from my dhs work we had no control-did not even pick the TA. I have a good recommendation from a friend who just rebooked her 2nd cruise with the same TA. She has been very responsive, I will use her. Thank you for all your help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: