Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
CiCiBee
Living Happily Ever After!

tent air conditioning?

I know that I have seen people with what looks like a box air conditioner hanging off of there tents, any idea how this is done and what I would need to accomplish this? We are trying to tent camp the first week of June and know without an air conditioner that is nearly impossible.

CiCiBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
chateau
DIS Veteran

I bought a porable air conditioner from Sporty's Pilot Shop and were pleasantly surprised at how well it works (tried it at home).

The intent was for use in an aircraft, without having to modify the plane (an STC, which is costly and time consuming to obtain). Since they work in the enclosed cabin of aircraft, with no moisture output (could you imagine your windows fogging in flight?), I thought it'd be great for camping.

Then we bought into DVC and will likely not camp after our upcoming cool month trip, so it looks like it'll be used in the garage when spouse is working on the car or doing a project!! oh well
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
JanL
Native Floridian

I was blessed to be given a used window unit and plan to set it on a milk crate just outside the D-shaped tent entry door and simply zip the door around it and tape off any unzipped portion of the door.
JanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
stky6
Whereabouts Unknown

We do this all the time...we picked up a 99.00 special from Wally World. You don't really have to sit it on something, our a/c just sits on the ground...just make sure you tilt it back a bit so it doesn't drain inside the tent. We put the front part of it thru the back door and I use binder clips and a small tarp to enclose the ac around the door a bit...kinda make a duct to get all the cool air in you can and we put a small oscillating fan in front to spread the air around...you'll need the tarp to keep the rain out too. In the heat the tent still warms up thru the day but it makes for comfortable sleeping at night. I had a post on here back in 2008 of our setup with some pictures....might want to do a search for it if it's still here.

Fort Wilderness August 2008

Universal (Left the kids with Grammy because we wanted to check out Universal to make sure they would like it before we took them there trip ) 2009

Watch our son march in the parade with Ross Marching Band 2013

August 2014 Disney/Universal
stky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Kattabba
Earning My Ears

We used a portable unit with wheels last May. Just ran the exhaust to a corner by the "door". It was a single pipe/vent unit. Cost us about $200 from Costco. Did nothing to cool off the tent during the day - just too darn hot. But did wonders at night. Also saw a set up next to us with a window unit on a tray table and cardboard and duct tape to keep the air blowing into the tent. Kind of like a box tunnel. They used a small tarp to keep the rain off. Pretty ingenious set up
Kattabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
CiCiBee
Living Happily Ever After!

We are looking at getting the wenzel Klondike 11x16 tent and it has a rear wall zippered vent and I am wondering if we could set the window unit up so it blows through there, anyone see any issues with that?

CiCiBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: