Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
SoonToBeMrs
Mouseketeer

POR vs. POFQ

Is there a big difference between POR and POFQ? I looked at pics online and the POFQ standard rooms seem to look nicer than the POR standard rooms. Does anyone have experience with either resort that would be able to give me an opinion on which was nicer. It's our honeymoon so we want something romantic and quieter.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I know someone who honeymooned at POFQ and they really enjoyed it. It's a small, quaint resort but IMO, that has its drawbacks as well. What time of year are you traveling? We stayed at POR in September and it was extremely quiet. Because POR is so big and spread out, we saw less people it seemed like. POFQ is small so every place felt crowded to us including the food court which is very small and the bus stop since there is only one. I also think the theme at POR may be more "romantic" than the gaudy Mardi Gras theme at POFQ.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
SoonToBeMrs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina
I know someone who honeymooned at POFQ and they really enjoyed it. It's a small, quaint resort but IMO, that has its drawbacks as well. What time of year are you traveling? We stayed at POR in September and it was extremely quiet. Because POR is so big and spread out, we saw less people it seemed like. POFQ is small so every place felt crowded to us including the food court which is very small and the bus stop since there is only one. I also think the theme at POR may be more "romantic" than the gaudy Mardi Gras theme at POFQ.
These were almost my exact thoughts. We are arriving July 11 for 7 nights. So I think pretty much everywhere will be somewhat crowded unfortunately. My other concern is that I don't want to have to walk super far to get to the food court or buses if I don't have to. That was what made me think of POFQ as an option.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
ocean702
Mouseketeer

i suggest POR, we've stayed at both and definitely prefer POR. It is bigger than POFQ, but we found the landscaping and decor to be more relaxing at POR than the mardi gras theme. I really enjoyed getting up early and walking from teh mansion section to the food court to get our coffees, it was a peaceful and pretty walk. Also POR has quiet pools in addition to the main feature pool while POFQ only has the main feature pool. I imagine that would be a plus in the summer months when the resorts are busy and the weather is hot.
ocean702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

My dh and I were there for our first adult only trip last Aug. We also loved POR. beautiful landscape and it never felt to crowded at the small pools. We stayed in a preferred room with king bed. It was less than a minute walk to the bus and main building. It was well worth the little extra money. congrats on your wedding and enjoy yourselves!
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
JanaJohn
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POFQ and loved it. Even though it was July we never felt crowded. Of course we normally make the rope drops each morning and get back after dark so maybe that kept us away from any crowds at the resort.

I also liked the bus situation. When going to the parks the bus stopped at POFQ first so you were pretty much guaranteed a seat. On the way home from the parks POFQ was the first stop and at that point in the day I didn't really want to make several other stops before I got off.

4/15 POFQ
4/13 POFQ
10/11 BLT
7/07 POFQ
8/85 Golf Resort
JanaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeMrs View Post
My other concern is that I don't want to have to walk super far to get to the food court or buses if I don't have to. That was what made me think of POFQ as an option.
If this is the case then POFQ might suit you better, unless you would be willing to pay for a preferred room at POR. My younger DD and her husband stayed at POFQ on their honeymoon in a king room and loved it.

You could take a look at this thread as well, since it is discussing the same topic:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3074065
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeMrs View Post
These were almost my exact thoughts. We are arriving July 11 for 7 nights. So I think pretty much everywhere will be somewhat crowded unfortunately. My other concern is that I don't want to have to walk super far to get to the food court or buses if I don't have to. That was what made me think of POFQ as an option.
If you book a preferred room at POR, you will be near the food court and main pool and get to reap the benefits of POR as well. That would be my suggestion
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

DH and I stayed at POFQ during our honeymoon in 2007. We were in room 6140. This room was a king room with a river view. It was VERY quiet and not a far walk to the front. This was in the day that we relied on Disney transportation (instead of renting a car, which we now do and it is so much easier) and did not find the bus stop to be far away either.

I'm considering POR for a winter trip next January because I enjoy trying out different resorts and I hope I like it!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
SoonToBeMrs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeK120 View Post
DH and I stayed at POFQ during our honeymoon in 2007. We were in room 6140. This room was a king room with a river view. It was VERY quiet and not a far walk to the front. This was in the day that we relied on Disney transportation (instead of renting a car, which we now do and it is so much easier) and did not find the bus stop to be far away either.

I'm considering POR for a winter trip next January because I enjoy trying out different resorts and I hope I like it!

Thanks for the input. We would just rent a car and not worry about being close to the buses, but rental companies aren't too thrilled to rent to people under 25. POFQ sounds like distance wise it's the better option, but I really love the feel of POR, it just seems more romantic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: